2013 UVA OGI Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
StanleyF

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby StanleyF » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I just popped over to the job postings on Symplicity. There are a lot of well respected firms posting summer associate positions for next summer all over the country. I have seen people responding to these postings get callbacks that way. Go take a look and start responding to the postings.

+1

I applied to every firm on Symplicity that was in a market I was willing to live in. Many of them move at a very different pace than OGI. I got a job through OGI, but was getting calls from these Symplicity firms as late as November to set up interviews.

If you are stressing about your job prospects, alleviate some of that stress by doing something productive and apply to these firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:11 pm

Goodwin Procter Boston cb

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:30 pm

Simpson thatcher went out too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:22 pm

Debevoise ding. ~top 10% in serious danger of striking out. Dropping out before I have to pay tuition is slowly looking like the intelligent reaction. I gave LS a great shot, and would be great at lawyering but I am naturally resourceful and street smart, and not looking to be a starving artist. It's only a week so I'm going to be patient, but after so much struggle in the top 10% at a top ten school I have come to the realization I'm going to hell for standing idly by while dozens of friends went to shit schools at sticker.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:37 pm

Edit: removed quote

Have you gone to career services and talked to them about what's happening and how you can change it? Don't give up yet.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Debevoise ding. ~top 10% in serious danger of striking out. Dropping out before I have to pay tuition is slowly looking like the intelligent reaction. I gave LS a great shot, and would be great at lawyering but I am naturally resourceful and street smart, and not looking to be a starving artist. It's only a week so I'm going to be patient, but after so much struggle in the top 10% at a top ten school I have come to the realization I'm going to hell for standing idly by while dozens of friends went to shit schools at sticker.

Have you gone to career services and talked to them about what's happening and how you can change it? Don't give up yet.

I'm not giving up. It isn't interviewing as my answers are all thought out but are improvised so as to not be scripted. I'm personable, confident, well dressed. Logically, I know what the issue is but it just kind of sucks as there's little I can do about it, and probably should have realized this was a probable outcome before starting law school. I do have some CB's, and I guess at this point I'll just take what I can get, and overachieve at the firm I'm at to put bread on the table. If I did strikeout, I would not see it as giving up. My underlying goal is to be really successful in a respected profession, and I could probably just as easily succeed in something else where hiring is not as superficial.

Could you unquote me - realized exact gpa is probably going to out me to firms.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:53 pm

CGSH DC response

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Debevoise ding. 3.65 in serious danger of striking out. Dropping out before I have to pay tuition is slowly looking like the intelligent reaction. I gave LS a great shot, and would be great at lawyering but I am naturally resourceful and street smart, and not looking to be a starving artist. It's only a week so I'm going to be patient, but after so much struggle in the top 10% at a top ten school I have come to the realization I'm going to hell for standing idly by while dozens of friends went to shit schools at sticker.

I'm not giving up. It isn't interviewing as my answers are all thought out but are improvised so as to not be scripted. I'm personable, confident, well dressed. Logically, I know what the issue is but it just kind of sucks as there's little I can do about it, and probably should have realized this was a probable outcome before starting law school. I do have some CB's, and I guess at this point I'll just take what I can get, and overachieve at the firm I'm at to put bread on the table. If I did strikeout, I would not see it as giving up. My underlying goal is to be really successful in a respected profession, and I could probably just as easily succeed in something else where hiring is not as superficial.

>>I do have some CB's
>>In serious danger of striking out

Stop being histrionic. There are plenty of people who have zero CB's.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Debevoise ding. 3.65 in serious danger of striking out. Dropping out before I have to pay tuition is slowly looking like the intelligent reaction. I gave LS a great shot, and would be great at lawyering but I am naturally resourceful and street smart, and not looking to be a starving artist. It's only a week so I'm going to be patient, but after so much struggle in the top 10% at a top ten school I have come to the realization I'm going to hell for standing idly by while dozens of friends went to shit schools at sticker.

>>I do have some CB's
>>In serious danger of striking out

Stop being histrionic. There are plenty of people who have zero CB's.

Yes, and it absolutely sucks for those people. My threat level is yellow, and theirs is red - does not mean I'm not stressing bricks. The thing that is getting me dinged at many places is a very slight handicap that literally would not influence my job performance or client satisfaction at all, and there's no way this would be happening before the recession. If I had zero CB's I would be sweating like an NBA player playing his 48th minute, and would absolutely consider dropping out if I were paying full price. UVa is a great school, and doing the best they can. Obviously, the market is even shittier than many of us banked on and unless you're a grade-A bullshitter or from a small market. Reflecting back on it unless one can talk their way out of a speeding ticket going 90 in a school zone or from bumblefuck, USA then irrespective of skill set unless they have lots of $ matriculating is asinine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:03 pm

any word from hogan-DC or Arnold & Porter- DC?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:any word from hogan-DC or Arnold & Porter- DC?

Interviewed with both, haven't heard from either unfortunately.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:17 pm

I know Arnold & Porter DC Callbacks went out late last week, but that might only be the first round. No word from Hogan yet.

JasonScottArmacost

Postby JasonScottArmacost » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:21 pm

I'm really struggling here, guys. GPA = 3.58. I've got callbacks in Paris, London, and NYC - all at the same time. I projectile vomited on one of the interviewers and pooped my pants in front of Sullivan & Cromwell, but still got an invite to the dinner. However, I'm really worried that I'm going to miss the flight to NYC after my London CB. Any suggestions? Plus, they're flying me coach? WTF. Also, I literally have no hands but don't think this should affect my job performance.

user outed for anon abuse

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yes, and it absolutely sucks for those people. My threat level is yellow, and theirs is red - does not mean I'm not stressing bricks. The thing that is getting me dinged at many places is a very slight handicap that literally would not influence my job performance or client satisfaction at all, and there's no way this would be happening before the recession. If I had zero CB's I would be sweating like an NBA player playing his 48th minute, and would absolutely consider dropping out if I were paying full price. UVa is a great school, and doing the best they can. Obviously, the market is even shittier than many of us banked on and unless you're a grade-A bullshitter or from a small market. Reflecting back on it unless one can talk their way out of a speeding ticket going 90 in a school zone or from bumblefuck, USA then irrespective of skill set unless they have lots of $ matriculating is asinine.

Remember, we're a week in. I'm at the same spot you are, +/- a bit on GPA, and also don't have as many callbacks as I would like. At this point career services is still sending out new screeners and there are ~50 summer positions open on symplicity, including two in the V10 and at least one more in V25. One of them doesn't even require a CL. Go apply to it. Finally, we're a week in. There are firms from a week ago that haven't yet sent out final decisions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:43 pm

Hogan DC just went out

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:43 pm

Hogan CBs are going out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hogan CBs are going out.

Anyone hear from Hogan Denver?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Debevoise ding. ~top 10% in serious danger of striking out. Dropping out before I have to pay tuition is slowly looking like the intelligent reaction. I gave LS a great shot, and would be great at lawyering but I am naturally resourceful and street smart, and not looking to be a starving artist. It's only a week so I'm going to be patient, but after so much struggle in the top 10% at a top ten school I have come to the realization I'm going to hell for standing idly by while dozens of friends went to shit schools at sticker.

I had pretty close to your grades and also took forever to get CBs/offers/thought of dropping out. I was able to eke it out with a few (NY V100) CBs/offers, with my first offer coming in mid-September. If you interviewed with some "lower ranked" firms, be sure to send LOCIs after an appropriate amount of time passes. Given your grades, you may be dealing with some responses outstanding at least not solely because of concerns about you, but also because firms don't want to get oversubscribed, and they might think you have other things on the table. If you figure out if this is the situation with any of the employers you interviewed with, and convince them you really want to work there, you may just barely squeak by like I did.

If you are just not a good interviewer, working with OCS and making sure you find intelligent ways to address the concerns/questions employers might have about you might help you get better results as the process continues. Later in the process I took any opportunity interviewers offered me to politely but firmly address potential concerns, and I noticed better results. But as you know by now, this thing is incredibly arbitrary, so...

-3L
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Presumption Acquired

Postby Presumption Acquired » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:49 pm

JasonScottArmacost wrote:I'm really struggling here, guys. GPA = 3.58. I've got callbacks in Paris, London, and NYC - all at the same time. I projectile vomited on one of the interviewers and pooped my pants in front of Sullivan & Cromwell, but still got an invite to the dinner. However, I'm really worried that I'm going to miss the flight to NYC after my London CB. Any suggestions? Plus, they're flying me coach? WTF. Also, I literally have no hands but don't think this should affect my job performance.

user outed for anon abuse

Don't be a dick, man. I'm not the anon who was posting, but I know him/her and I know that (s)he's not insane to be worried about whether or not (s)he will get an offer. Unless you know him/her too, I would suggest you don't act like a douche online towards that person. This is a stressful time for everyone, and while I do think this thread should primarily be used to let people know about callbacks that have gone out, it is inevitable that people will use it to voice their concerns. To be honest, everyone should be concerned to a degree unless they actually have an offer in hand. If you're not, then you're probably a fool. And if you do have an offer already, you really have no right to judge someone who doesn't.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:56 pm

I&M ding.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:25 pm

Cozen O'Connor Philly ding via email just now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:32 pm

Pillsbury (LA) ding via snail mail.

uvalawstudent

Postby uvalawstudent » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hogan CBs are going out.

Anyone know if Hogan NYC has gone out?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:22 pm

Anyone know if any Orrick DC CBs have gone out?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:26 pm

gibson ny snail ding

Return to “Legal Employment”