2013 UVA OGI Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:39 pm

Any info on odds of Skadden CB to offer?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:40 pm

What's the longest a firm has taken to give someone a call back?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:42 pm

Has anyone heard anything from Perkins Coie (Seattle)?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:covington NY ding


Today?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:45 pm

Skadden NY has a historical CB/offer rate of around 50%.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:01 pm

I'm pretty sure Skadden NY has a higher cb/offer rate than 50% - I only know of one person (last year) that did a CB at Skadden NY and didn't receive an offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:10 pm

Can any 3Ls comment on the frequency of first-week firms making callbacks in the second week? I guess this is more geared to the M-W first week firms or maybe M-Th, being that the Fridays probably don't move till the second week no matter what.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can any 3Ls comment on the frequency of first-week firms making callbacks in the second week? I guess this is more geared to the M-W first week firms or maybe M-Th, being that the Fridays probably don't move till the second week no matter what.


+1

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can any 3Ls comment on the frequency of first-week firms making callbacks in the second week? I guess this is more geared to the M-W first week firms or maybe M-Th, being that the Fridays probably don't move till the second week no matter what.


+1


I noticed some secondary market firms moving slower than others last year. I think it is just firm-dependent, though, not anything specific to a particular market. For instance, I interviewed with one firm on a Wednesday and got a callback the next Monday. Another firm did a dinner that evening and then made callback invites a week later.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can any 3Ls comment on the frequency of first-week firms making callbacks in the second week? I guess this is more geared to the M-W first week firms or maybe M-Th, being that the Fridays probably don't move till the second week no matter what.


+1


I noticed some secondary market firms moving slower than others last year. I think it is just firm-dependent, though, not anything specific to a particular market. For instance, I interviewed with one firm on a Wednesday and got a callback the next Monday. Another firm did a dinner that evening and then made callback invites a week later.


This is true except in the case of NYC V100s, where, with a few exceptions, you will probably hear back in 1-3 days if you are going to hear back at all.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:04 pm

Latham Chicago ding by mail. :(

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Latham Chicago ding by mail. :(


when?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Latham Chicago ding by mail. :(


when?

Got the letter today. Didn't pay attention to the date it was signed before I threw it in the dumpster.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can any 3Ls comment on the frequency of first-week firms making callbacks in the second week? I guess this is more geared to the M-W first week firms or maybe M-Th, being that the Fridays probably don't move till the second week no matter what.


+1


I noticed some secondary market firms moving slower than others last year. I think it is just firm-dependent, though, not anything specific to a particular market. For instance, I interviewed with one firm on a Wednesday and got a callback the next Monday. Another firm did a dinner that evening and then made callback invites a week later.


This is true except in the case of NYC V100s, where, with a few exceptions, you will probably hear back in 1-3 days if you are going to hear back at all.


Yeah, I was referring to secondary markets. If you're targeting NYC, calls will mostly come out within a day or two of the interview.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:33 am

CB's from Beveridge & Diamond anyone ?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:CB's from Beveridge & Diamond anyone ?

No. I bid DC. Silence. Seems like a cool place to work though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:34 pm

Not venting because I am not in this situation (but still feel like I'm under-performing my grades), but it is insane how much median is struggling at our school. Doing this first hand makes me realize how utterly retarded it is to pay sticker or close to it at a non-top 14. Could you imagine what median at say Pepperdine is doing right now?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:15 pm

I think some people are prematurely freaking out. Not that you shouldn't be looking at non-OGI job opportunities - as you always should have been - but unless you've been actually rejected by a firm you're not out of the running yet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think some people are prematurely freaking out. Not that you shouldn't be looking at non-OGI job opportunities - as you always should have been - but unless you've been actually rejected by a firm you're not out of the running yet.

1.) Mass mailing is not very successful in major markets.
2.) No ties to secondary markets = no job offers.
3.) If cb's have already been extended and the odds of turning an offer from an initial CB to an offer average about 40%, what are the odds if you weren't even one of the initial CB's?
4.) For the most part our CB's aren't until after this week, which is after HYSCCNP have done their CB's.
5.) Many of us are OCD to begin with.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think some people are prematurely freaking out. Not that you shouldn't be looking at non-OGI job opportunities - as you always should have been - but unless you've been actually rejected by a firm you're not out of the running yet.

1.) Mass mailing is not very successful in major markets.
2.) No ties to secondary markets = no job offers.
3.) If cb's have already been extended and the odds of turning an offer from an initial CB to an offer average about 40%, what are the odds if you weren't even one of the initial CB's?
4.) For the most part our CB's aren't until after this week, which is after HYSCCNP have done their CB's.
5.) Many of us are OCD to begin with.


1) Why just go after the "major markets?" If you're just looking for a job, go after anything you might be able to snag.
2) I don't think this is as strong of a relationship as you believe that it is.
3) This is fear mongering. These firms are still looking to fill up their summer classes, which have been reduced, but not by a double digit percentage points.
4) So? There is just as much fear mongering going on in the Penn OCI thread as there is here (probably more). Also, from what I know Stanford's OCI doesn't happen for a bit. I could be wrong, and who cares. Depending on what market you're aiming for, many of the firms at OGI don't even go to CCN, maybe not even P. Regardless, be calm.
5) This is so true and I don't know anything that will relieve this. The only thing I can say is that I feel every OGI thread has had this panic moment in week 1. Please be adults folks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think some people are prematurely freaking out. Not that you shouldn't be looking at non-OGI job opportunities - as you always should have been - but unless you've been actually rejected by a firm you're not out of the running yet.

1.) Mass mailing is not very successful in major markets.
2.) No ties to secondary markets = no job offers.
3.) If cb's have already been extended and the odds of turning an offer from an initial CB to an offer average about 40%, what are the odds if you weren't even one of the initial CB's?
4.) For the most part our CB's aren't until after this week, which is after HYSCCNP have done their CB's.
5.) Many of us are OCD to begin with.


1) Why just go after the "major markets?" If you're just looking for a job, go after anything you might be able to snag.
2) I don't think this is as strong of a relationship as you believe that it is.
3) This is fear mongering. These firms are still looking to fill up their summer classes, which have been reduced, but not by a double digit percentage points.
4) So? There is just as much fear mongering going on in the Penn OCI thread as there is here (probably more). Also, from what I know Stanford's OCI doesn't happen for a bit. I could be wrong, and who cares. Depending on what market you're aiming for, many of the firms at OGI don't even go to CCN, maybe not even P. Regardless, be calm.
5) This is so true and I don't know anything that will relieve this. The only thing I can say is that I feel every OGI thread has had this panic moment in week 1. Please be adults folks.



I agree with #5... people need to calm down. It is still very early. Also, people will outperform their grades while others will underperform. I know this doesnt make it better, but it only takes one.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:13 pm

The folks above are right. While week one is over, it is still fairly early. Additionally, if you haven't done any mass mailing yet, there is still time to do so, and you can send as many of those out as you want without worrying about maxing out your bids like at OGI. Another thing, I just popped over to the job postings on Symplicity. There are a lot of well respected firms posting summer associate positions for next summer all over the country. I have seen people responding to these postings get callbacks that way. Go take a look and start responding to the postings. Because you are all OCD, you should have no problem continuing to be proactive by doing all these things.

Edit: There are several cool firms that posted on Symplicity as far back as May and June. There is even one that posted in March. Look through the entire list, and you will find a lot of interesting opportunities.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:10 pm

Gibson Dunn NY ding via snail mail

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:17 pm

Snail mail like USPS or e-mail?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:29 pm

Williams & Connolly CBs going out.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.