2013 UVA OGI Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interested in litigation/regulatory work. Obviously with my interests I will be applying to some DC firms, and I think my 3.49 won't be prohibitive in itself for some of the less selective DC firms, correct?

But I also definitely plan on applying to New York/Texas/Chicago. Think I should maintain the same interest in regulatory work for all those markets? Surely there is regulatory work outside DC, albeit less. I have been clicking attorney profiles on sites of my target firms in some of those non-DC markets I mentioned. Think that is a good way to judge what an office's strengths are? Because if you just click on the firm website, it says they are full service and do everything. Chambers and Partners has seemed instructive, but I don't want to roll into an interview with a Dallas office acting gung ho about regulatory work to be told they don't do it.

Also, big thank you to some of the rising 3Ls and alums. You guys have been great in this thread and last years. It really helps at thise stressful time.


There is much less regulatory work outside of D.C. Most firms have a homepage for each office. Chambers also does regional rankings. If you're interviewing for a certain office, you can take a look at the partners in that office and get a sense of what they do.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interested in litigation/regulatory work. Obviously with my interests I will be applying to some DC firms, and I think my 3.49 won't be prohibitive in itself for some of the less selective DC firms, correct?

But I also definitely plan on applying to New York/Texas/Chicago. Think I should maintain the same interest in regulatory work for all those markets? Surely there is regulatory work outside DC, albeit less. I have been clicking attorney profiles on sites of my target firms in some of those non-DC markets I mentioned. Think that is a good way to judge what an office's strengths are? Because if you just click on the firm website, it says they are full service and do everything. Chambers and Partners has seemed instructive, but I don't want to roll into an interview with a Dallas office acting gung ho about regulatory work to be told they don't do it.

Also, big thank you to some of the rising 3Ls and alums. You guys have been great in this thread and last years. It really helps at thise stressful time.


There is much less regulatory work outside of D.C. Most firms have a homepage for each office. Chambers also does regional rankings. If you're interviewing for a certain office, you can take a look at the partners in that office and get a sense of what they do.

Think I should just sell an interest in general litigation if I am interested in a firm (because a need a job) but they don't seem strong in regulatory work?

desertlaw
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby desertlaw » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interested in litigation/regulatory work. Obviously with my interests I will be applying to some DC firms, and I think my 3.49 won't be prohibitive in itself for some of the less selective DC firms, correct?

But I also definitely plan on applying to New York/Texas/Chicago. Think I should maintain the same interest in regulatory work for all those markets? Surely there is regulatory work outside DC, albeit less. I have been clicking attorney profiles on sites of my target firms in some of those non-DC markets I mentioned. Think that is a good way to judge what an office's strengths are? Because if you just click on the firm website, it says they are full service and do everything. Chambers and Partners has seemed instructive, but I don't want to roll into an interview with a Dallas office acting gung ho about regulatory work to be told they don't do it.

Also, big thank you to some of the rising 3Ls and alums. You guys have been great in this thread and last years. It really helps at thise stressful time.


Definitely use Chambers & Partners for info on firm's strengths. Chambers & Associates is good for learning about the "soft" things about the firm like culture, life-style, etc.

I think doing 4 markets might be stretching it. Maybe cut it down to 3. Why are you so keen on regulatory work? I don't know much about it, but I'm guessing you'll have more success talking about that in DC than anywhere else.

Re: practice area questions/answers: Best answer for the "what practice area are you interested in?" or "Do you want litigation or corporate": I've thought about this a lot because it's obviously important. But I also understand that as a 1L, I don't know much about actual practice of law. That being said, I realize that litigation is more competitive and structured. That fits my personality best, I think, but I'm definitely interested in corporate as well and would love to explore that this summer."

That shows you've thought about it, realized you're a dumb rising 2L who doesn't know much about the laws, but recognized you might prefer one but are still prudent/wise enough to be open to others.

EDIT: Enjoy WilmerHale DC

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:25 pm

high 3.6x here. how much do you think the new grading policy has affected the cutoff for top 10%? think itll shift to 3.7?

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6341
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby 5ky » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:high 3.6x here. how much do you think the new grading policy has affected the cutoff for top 10%? think itll shift to 3.7?


No, but it literally could not matter less for you

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:30 pm

desertlaw wrote:I think doing 4 markets might be stretching it. Maybe cut it down to 3.

Same guy here, not arguing with you, just picking your brain. I appreciate the feedback. Any reason why you think applying to more markets hurts your overall odds of getting a good job? In my 1L mind I don't see why it hurts my overall odds as long as the firms I apply to are reasonable for my grades and I can make a good case for that firm and that city. I could see why this would hurt my odds of getting a job in a specific market since I will have less bids to go around for each one.

Or if there isn't a particular reason, have you just seen things go poorly for people who have bid on a bunch of different cities?

Morgan12Oak
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:59 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Morgan12Oak » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
desertlaw wrote:I think doing 4 markets might be stretching it. Maybe cut it down to 3.

Same guy here, not arguing with you, just picking your brain. I appreciate the feedback. Any reason why you think applying to more markets hurts your overall odds of getting a good job? In my 1L mind I don't see why it hurts my overall odds as long as the firms I apply to are reasonable for my grades and I can make a good case for that firm and that city. I could see why this would hurt my odds of getting a job in a specific market since I will have less bids to go around for each one.

Or if there isn't a particular reason, have you just seen things go poorly for people who have bid on a bunch of different cities?


Firms will ask you where else you bid and/or are interviewing. Obviously you can lie, but if you want to be truthful than it becomes an actually rather large issue. DC firms don't want to hear you are interviewing in Cali, NYC and DC. Nor do NYC firms want to hear you're interviewing in Texas, Atlanta and Chicago or something like that.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6341
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby 5ky » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
desertlaw wrote:I think doing 4 markets might be stretching it. Maybe cut it down to 3.

Same guy here, not arguing with you, just picking your brain. I appreciate the feedback. Any reason why you think applying to more markets hurts your overall odds of getting a good job? In my 1L mind I don't see why it hurts my overall odds as long as the firms I apply to are reasonable for my grades and I can make a good case for that firm and that city. I could see why this would hurt my odds of getting a job in a specific market since I will have less bids to go around for each one.

Or if there isn't a particular reason, have you just seen things go poorly for people who have bid on a bunch of different cities?


I agree with desertlaw. I'm actually not quite sure why, but when they asked me why I wanted to be in City X, they also asked what other cities I applied to. Going through a whole thing about how you really want to be in City X, and then have to say you are applying to Cities W, Y and Z too isn't great. You could lie, I guess, but lying in an interview like that is a morally gray area and could also bite you in the ass.

e: scooped
Last edited by 5ky on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The whole "DC is tough, just go NYC bro" while once true, is becoming as tired of a shtick as xoxo's "screw law school, just go sales bro."

Their class sizes are huge, but there are so many law schools (many with greater NYC ties and entrenched in that market) and other law students targeting NYC as well.

Class of 2013 got killed because of the whole "just go NYC to be safe" thing.

I bought into this and got murdered. I had a 3.49 and I bid like 40% DC and 60% NY and my numbers in DC were far better (I had something like 60% of my DC screeners turn to callbacks compared to far less in NYC) than my numbers in NY; my resume did not have any ties to DC or NY either.

I thought my situation was an outlier, but the more I talked to classmates, the more I realized my situation, though maybe slightly more extreme was far from an outlier.


This is a very credited post. UVA law students exhibit some extreme herd-like behavior. There's a lot of group think that goes on, which is why you see everyone taking classes with the "good" professors, everyone pledging to donate to the law school in numbers unrivaled by any other law school, mandatory section "dues," etc., etc. You just need to figure out which way the herd is running into OGI and run the other direction. I did this when I did OGI and it worked out nicely for me. I got a DC offer with a 3.55 when everyone was like "OMFG! DON'T BID ON DC FIRMS!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The whole "DC is tough, just go NYC bro" while once true, is becoming as tired of a shtick as xoxo's "screw law school, just go sales bro."

Their class sizes are huge, but there are so many law schools (many with greater NYC ties and entrenched in that market) and other law students targeting NYC as well.

Class of 2013 got killed because of the whole "just go NYC to be safe" thing.

I bought into this and got murdered. I had a 3.49 and I bid like 40% DC and 60% NY and my numbers in DC were far better (I had something like 60% of my DC screeners turn to callbacks compared to far less in NYC) than my numbers in NY; my resume did not have any ties to DC or NY either.

I thought my situation was an outlier, but the more I talked to classmates, the more I realized my situation, though maybe slightly more extreme was far from an outlier.


This is a very credited post. UVA law students exhibit some extreme herd-like behavior. There's a lot of group think that goes on, which is why you see everyone taking classes with the "good" professors, everyone pledging to donate to the law school in numbers unrivaled by any other law school, mandatory section "dues," etc., etc. You just need to figure out which way the herd is running into OGI and run the other direction. I did this when I did OGI and it worked out nicely for me. I got a DC offer with a 3.55 when everyone was like "OMFG! DON'T BID ON DC FIRMS!!!!!!!!!!!!"


I'm the anon who posted this originally. I just want people to realize that NYC isn't some great fallback for people with only marginally good grades. I'm not saying it doesn't make sense to bid a few NYC firms, but just realize the herd mentality is huge and there seems to be this huge misconception out there that if you're worried, bid NY.

Yes, some NYC firms will have like 60 spots compared to a DC peer with 10, but of those 60 spots, probably 2/3rds are practically reserved for HLS, NYU, CLS, Fordham, NYLS, Brooklyn LS, etc... those firms have tons of partners from even the lower tier NY law schools and are going to take many of those students, probably almost as many as they take from UVA.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6341
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby 5ky » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:53 pm

Here's the problem with the DC/NYC thing. The people who really want DC, but have borderline grades to feel comfortable there (3.4-3.6) are all bidding on exactly the same firms. These are the middle tier firms that people think are "safeties" for them, but they actually aren't, because there's no such thing. Tossing a bunch of bids to Chadbourne, Fried Frank, Willkie, etc. and thinking "I'm definitely safe for them bro" is a bad idea, because that's exactly how everybody else thinks. Plus, the people going for NYC solely are also bidding on them. This leads to 100+ people bidding on them for usually 20-40 interview slots.

Things thin out considerably in the bracket above. Looking at the CSO data, the band of, e.g., Latham/Kirkland/Gibson/Jones Day/Covington/Ropes/Paul Weiss etc. had significantly fewer bids than the "safety" firms for my year. Maybe it changed last year a bit (these things change year-to-year), but it has been relatively stable for the few years of data I've seen.

Bidding is an exercise of game theory. You have to bid on the best combination of: high # of interview slots + low # of bids + large SA classes + not a horrible place to work + 'can i get a job here with my gpa?' Flooding NYC with leftover safety bids for Fried Frank, Cahill, whatever, is the path to getting very little there and then coming to the conclusion that getting a job in DC is easier than NYC. It's not. If you have a 3.4x - 3.6ish, any of those firms I mentioned in the bracket are easily within your reach and you should ignore every fiber of your law student body to be as risk-averse as possible, and adjust your bidding strategy up a little bit. Even places like Debevoise, Skadden, etc. are doable.

You aren't only playing against the law firms, but you're also playing against your classmates in the bidding process.
Last edited by 5ky on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:58 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
desertlaw wrote:I think doing 4 markets might be stretching it. Maybe cut it down to 3.

Same guy here, not arguing with you, just picking your brain. I appreciate the feedback. Any reason why you think applying to more markets hurts your overall odds of getting a good job? In my 1L mind I don't see why it hurts my overall odds as long as the firms I apply to are reasonable for my grades and I can make a good case for that firm and that city. I could see why this would hurt my odds of getting a job in a specific market since I will have less bids to go around for each one.

Or if there isn't a particular reason, have you just seen things go poorly for people who have bid on a bunch of different cities?


Firms will ask you where else you bid and/or are interviewing. Obviously you can lie, but if you want to be truthful than it becomes an actually rather large issue. DC firms don't want to hear you are interviewing in Cali, NYC and DC. Nor do NYC firms want to hear you're interviewing in Texas, Atlanta and Chicago or something like that.

Thanks, Morgan12Oak and 5ky. Looks like I will have to make some difficult, life changing decisions very soon.

And idea about the negative consequences of lying about the issue? Not saying I'm planning on it, but there is an obvious temptation. Just wondering if there is some obvious way I found be found out and blacklisted. This might be a question for KD.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:00 am

Same poster. Thanks!

Will saying that I went on some vacations there, have friends and religious affiliations out there and studied film and screenwriting, and worked briefly in the industry be sufficient? Would you recommend going more into detail on film experience on my resume (although it was only NYC documentary based) for these firms? Will it frighten firms?

The truth is I was really close to attending USC, but was paranoid by their employment numbers and fear I'd be below median given I hadn't read a book for about 10 years. Should I mention this without the reading part?

desertlaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:3.65, only have ties to NYC and would not mind NYC but would prefer to spend my life somewhere more tropical, namely Los Angeles. How should this influence bidding? Should I drop a tier for LA firms?

Additionally, I have an interesting background and am generally personable, but have a stutter. I am working on this during the summer, but does anybody have tips on how open I should be about this, or if I should pursue some lower firms based off this? I expect and am alright with some discrimination, but want to mitigate its damage as much as possible.


1 - Los Angeles isn't the Bahamas/tropical, but it's wonderful if you like 70 degrees in January, lots of traffic, and beach babes/bums.

2 - LA is hard market to get into without ties or a good reason for being there, but a 3.65 will obviously help. You should be good to go in NYC, but you'll need a good reason to want to be in LA (I visited there every summer as a kid! My wife wants to be in the Hollywood nanny industry! I love Disneyland!).

3 - But going by your GPA alone, all LA firms are within your range except maybe Irell (not sure about Quinn).

4 - Make sure you know difference between LA, San Diego, and Orange County/Irvine firms. LA = big city, better for single life, hard to live by the beach and still do Biglaw. SD & OC = harder to get into, especially SD, without serious ties. Both better for family life and living by the beach.

Enjoy Latham LA or Skadden NYC.

desertlaw
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby desertlaw » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Same poster. Thanks!

Will saying that I went on some vacations there, have friends and religious affiliations out there and studied film and screenwriting, and worked briefly in the industry be sufficient? Would you recommend going more into detail on film experience on my resume (although it was only NYC documentary based) for these firms? Will it frighten firms?

The truth is I was really close to attending USC, but was paranoid by their employment numbers and fear I'd be below median given I hadn't read a book for about 10 years. Should I mention this without the reading part?



I think that if you say that your good group of college friends live there + having experience in film industry is probably good enough. I'm not sure what religion is specific to LA unless you're a scientologist? Maybe not discuss religion and just say you have a good amount of friends/family out there. Throw in something about "seeing yourself there long-term" and that's likely sufficient. I think saying you were close to attending USC might be dangerous because it could raise the question of why he'd go to UVa if he really liked Los Angeles that much; also could be seen as slight to USC (there are tons of their alumni at firms in Cali). You could maybe pull it off by saying, "I really wanted to live in an isolated, small-town community for 3 years because I'd never have that chance again."

desertlaw
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby desertlaw » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The whole "DC is tough, just go NYC bro" while once true, is becoming as tired of a shtick as xoxo's "screw law school, just go sales bro."

Their class sizes are huge, but there are so many law schools (many with greater NYC ties and entrenched in that market) and other law students targeting NYC as well.

Class of 2013 got killed because of the whole "just go NYC to be safe" thing.

I bought into this and got murdered. I had a 3.49 and I bid like 40% DC and 60% NY and my numbers in DC were far better (I had something like 60% of my DC screeners turn to callbacks compared to far less in NYC) than my numbers in NY; my resume did not have any ties to DC or NY either.

I thought my situation was an outlier, but the more I talked to classmates, the more I realized my situation, though maybe slightly more extreme was far from an outlier.


This is a very credited post. UVA law students exhibit some extreme herd-like behavior. There's a lot of group think that goes on, which is why you see everyone taking classes with the "good" professors, everyone pledging to donate to the law school in numbers unrivaled by any other law school, mandatory section "dues," etc., etc. You just need to figure out which way the herd is running into OGI and run the other direction. I did this when I did OGI and it worked out nicely for me. I got a DC offer with a 3.55 when everyone was like "OMFG! DON'T BID ON DC FIRMS!!!!!!!!!!!!"


Here's the thing though: for 2011 OGI, we were all told to bid NYC on TLS. And those that did, especially in the 3.5 range, did significantly better than DC. But maybe that herd-mentality grew in 2012 OGI or maybe for some reason last year's OGI had less students initially interested in DC. Maybe the herd-mentality is swung so far that now DC has become a good place to bid? But what if most people are reading THIS and determining THAT, wouldn't it make NYC the better option now? So yes, as 5ky said, it's all about game theory and figuring out ratios with SA class sizes, bids, interview slots, etc.

And I'm not sure anyone here has said to not bid on DC at all or that it won't work for some/many people. It has just seemed more difficult since UVa historically sends so many people there + SA class sizes are smaller + all of the world's precious law student gunners want to work near Capitol Hill and argue in SCOTUS.

desertlaw
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby desertlaw » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:16 am

5ky wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
desertlaw wrote:I think doing 4 markets might be stretching it. Maybe cut it down to 3.

Same guy here, not arguing with you, just picking your brain. I appreciate the feedback. Any reason why you think applying to more markets hurts your overall odds of getting a good job? In my 1L mind I don't see why it hurts my overall odds as long as the firms I apply to are reasonable for my grades and I can make a good case for that firm and that city. I could see why this would hurt my odds of getting a job in a specific market since I will have less bids to go around for each one.

Or if there isn't a particular reason, have you just seen things go poorly for people who have bid on a bunch of different cities?


I agree with desertlaw. I'm actually not quite sure why, but when they asked me why I wanted to be in City X, they also asked what other cities I applied to. Going through a whole thing about how you really want to be in City X, and then have to say you are applying to Cities W, Y and Z too isn't great. You could lie, I guess, but lying in an interview like that is a morally gray area and could also bite you in the ass.

e: scooped


A few thoughts:

1 - Traveling to 3-4 markets during callbacks hurts your chances. Generally, you want to get on callbacks ASAP. If you're trying to schedule callbacks in Cali, Chicago, and NYC, it's going to be difficult. I tried it and wouldn't recommend it (Cali, home market, NYC).

2 - When they ask you what other cities you are interviewing in, you always should go with this answer, "because of the job market, I felt it made sense to not target only one market. So I'm also interviewing with firms in X because that might be a good place to live for a few years but don't think I could see myself there long-term. However, I'd much rather be here with you in Y because of valid A-B-C reasons." EDIT: Firms will understand that you probably cannot bid all 100% one market and that diversification of bids/interviews is good to a certain extent, especially if you have a good reason. But as 5ky said before, if you're talking to them about 3-4 different markets that you're also in, it looks like you're begging for a job + not being strategic/thoughtful about it

3 - Re: bidding on 3-4 markets: A lot of the time the problem is that firms in your "grade range" are ones that are interviewing for multiple offices at OGI but will only let you interview with one. So yeah, you might be a great fit grade-wise at Gibson NYC, Gibson LA, and Gibson Chicago (do they have a Chicago office?). But if they only let you bid on 1 for OGI, and you choose Gibson LA, then not having Gibson NYC & Chicago makes your chances decrease by a lot in that market since that's a big SA class that you're not even letting yourself have a shot at. I'm not sure what each specific firm does what, but I remember that many firms at OGI 2011 would only let you bid on 1 of their offices.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:40 am

5ky wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:high 3.6x here. how much do you think the new grading policy has affected the cutoff for top 10%? think itll shift to 3.7?


No, but it literally could not matter less for you



My SO will be in DC and I want regulatory work. Should I just bid all DC or is that too risky? Any bid order advice?

desertlaw
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby desertlaw » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
5ky wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:high 3.6x here. how much do you think the new grading policy has affected the cutoff for top 10%? think itll shift to 3.7?


No, but it literally could not matter less for you



My SO will be in DC and I want regulatory work. Should I just bid all DC or is that too risky? Any bid order advice?



Can you fill up 50 bids with just DC firms? I honestly don't know. 3.6x is competitive in DC and you obviously have good reason to be there. Just practice your interviews, maybe mass-mail some firms from your home-town and do interviews there before OGI. If you can get a smaller-market, pre-OGI callback (and maybe offer), you're going to go into OGI with some interviewing experience and maybe an offer in your pocket to take some stress of things.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:12 am

3.293 (Basically Median)

Accounting / Business Background

Targeting only NY (Grew up there). Attending several job fairs / Receptions. Had an informational interview with a v10 already. Would it be a waste of a bid to make it one of my top 10?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:04 pm

Stupid question, but whatever. I'm interested in a few satellite offices. Their main offices come to OGI but don't claim to represent the satellite offices in doing so, at least per the bands handout. Should I:

A) bid the main office and indicate interest in the satellite in a cover letter;
B) mail the satellite directly over the summer and indicate interest;
C) both, perhaps with nuanced sequencing; or
D) A+B are basically equivalent, but choose one and definitely do not do both

If it helps: I would be competitive grade-wise at the main offices, and the satellites do have summer programs.

-Fat Chipper Jones

envisciguy
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:15 pm

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby envisciguy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Stupid question, but whatever. I'm interested in a few satellite offices. Their main offices come to OGI but don't claim to represent the satellite offices in doing so, at least per the bands handout. Should I:

A) bid the main office and indicate interest in the satellite in a cover letter;
B) mail the satellite directly over the summer and indicate interest;
C) both, perhaps with nuanced sequencing; or
D) A+B are basically equivalent, but choose one and definitely do not do both

If it helps: I would be competitive grade-wise at the main offices, and the satellites do have summer programs.

-Fat Chipper Jones


Since I'm a rising 2L, I can't be sure, but I'd probably go with B. I'm not sure it makes sense to bid the main office if the screener is only interviewing for the main offices or the satellites that they do list. Then again, if you have extra bids because you're interested in secondary markets, then maybe it couldn't hurt. Anyone with more experience can certainly correct me.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6341
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby 5ky » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3.293 (Basically Median)

Accounting / Business Background

Targeting only NY (Grew up there). Attending several job fairs / Receptions. Had an informational interview with a v10 already. Would it be a waste of a bid to make it one of my top 10?


I wouldn't, and would then special request the firm if you didn't get them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:01 pm

Anon from above. In the past, has VLR extended invites before the bid deadline? This year's deadline is July 13.

desertlaw
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby desertlaw » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Stupid question, but whatever. I'm interested in a few satellite offices. Their main offices come to OGI but don't claim to represent the satellite offices in doing so, at least per the bands handout. Should I:

A) bid the main office and indicate interest in the satellite in a cover letter;
B) mail the satellite directly over the summer and indicate interest;
C) both, perhaps with nuanced sequencing; or
D) A+B are basically equivalent, but choose one and definitely do not do both

If it helps: I would be competitive grade-wise at the main offices, and the satellites do have summer programs.

-Fat Chipper Jones



I think that basically (B) is correct, especially if you will be in that market for any period of time during the summer. If your grades are good enough, they'll likely want to have someone from their office see you, and hopefully pre-OGI. Then you can also possibly bid on main office for OGI. You could do both A+B though.

It's just often tough to convince Obama & Holder's DC office that you'd be a good fit in their LA office. Some firms are weird about that though. I had no interest in Obama Holder XYZ City but got an interview with them anyways. They said, "Are you really interested in this office?" I honestly said, "I'd rather do ABC but you're not interviewing for that office at OGI." They said, "Oh, okay, leave the room and we'll have you do a callback at ABC." It was weird.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk specifics about this because I was in same dilemma with you and did some combination of A+B in a few situations.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:38 pm

I'm a rising 3L summering at a V50 firm, and I'm currently debating whether I should bid for OGI. In the last few years, my firm has averaged around a 95% offer rate, and last summer the offer rate was 100% (but who knows if there were cold offers). Any thoughts on whether it's a good idea to bid? Is it possible to cancel your interviews if you get an offer you want to accept?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.