2013 UVA OGI Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DMXdawg

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby DMXdawg » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:28 pm

X

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:00 pm

I was wonderig about how to go about contactig firms that i didnt get an ogi interview with. do you email the recruiting office or the person coming to OCI? Should I hold off on sending any emails and talk to someone in their hospitality suite instead?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:I was wonderig about how to go about contactig firms that i didnt get an ogi interview with. do you email the recruiting office or the person coming to OCI? Should I hold off on sending any emails and talk to someone in their hospitality suite instead?

Not sure you'll get very far in that department, but go to the hospitality suites. No emails. Probably more important to focus on the interviews you already have scheduled though.

Twiqbal

Postby Twiqbal » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:58 am

How important is it to go the hospitality suites of the firms for which you have interviewed? And what is the experience like? I can only imagine it as being either incredibly awkward or full of OGI-gunners hanging on every word of the attorneys.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:01 am

Twiqbal wrote:How important is it to go the hospitality suites of the firms for which you have interviewed? And what is the experience like? I can only imagine it as being either incredibly awkward or full of OGI-gunners hanging on every word of the attorneys.

I think if you have an interview its a waste of time, ditto for the receptions. Very hard to get anything out of it (your interviewer is interviewing) and gunners will be hovering shamelessly. Receptions are hilarious, if you see a group of 15 gunners in a circle a hiring partner is in the center answering very boring canned questions wishing they could get to the bar. Just drink and eat at the receptions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:02 am

Twiqbal wrote:How important is it to go the hospitality suites of the firms for which you have interviewed? And what is the experience like? I can only imagine it as being either incredibly awkward or full of OGI-gunners hanging on every word of the attorneys.

I really don't think it's important, but take my advice with a grain of salt because if you didn't go and didn't get a callback you'll always wonder if that was why. That being said, hospitality suites are pretty much the worst thing about OGI. Getting all these anxious people you hardly know in a room together struggling to talk to the same junior associate they sent from the firm. They're worse than receptions, since at least there you can get drunk.

Speaking of, one of my interviewers invited me to a reception that everyone that interviewed was invited to but I didn't go because I was going out of town for the night, and I still got a callback from the firm (and an offer later on.)

So that shit don't matter.

StanleyF

Postby StanleyF » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was wonderig about how to go about contactig firms that i didnt get an ogi interview with. do you email the recruiting office or the person coming to OCI? Should I hold off on sending any emails and talk to someone in their hospitality suite instead?

I think it would be a serious mistake to email firms that are coming to OGI. If they wanted mass emails, they would ask for them.

Wouldn't your best bet to be to special request some of these firms? CSO does a good job of coordinating it, the firms are receptive to it, and it's a pain free way to add some interviews.

As for hospitality suites, I know a couple people who got interviews by going to the suite and basically asking for an interview. If you are the kind of person who can pull that off, go for it. I'm not. I went to the hospitality suites of the firms I interviewed with that had them, and found it to be a pretty good time. My approach was to introduce myself to the firm representative, chat for a minute or two, and then leave them to meet the next candidate. Then I just talked to other students there and got some sweet law firm swag—umbrellas, coffee mugs, pens, and a mouse pad.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:25 pm

What is the general demeanor of what to do at these staged firm social events like bars or dinners particularly if they are pre-interview? It feels like a blind date with the increased of awkwardness of also making it like the bachelor in that there are many people competing for attention. Do we need to be one of those a-holes who goes up to them and kisses up or can we just chill, talk to people we know and wait for eye contact?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is the general demeanor of what to do at these staged firm social events like bars or dinners particularly if they are pre-interview? It feels like a blind date with the increased of awkwardness of also making it like the bachelor in that there are many people competing for attention. Do we need to be one of those a-holes who goes up to them and kisses up or can we just chill, talk to people we know and wait for eye contact?

Last year I used to think what interviewees did at receptions really mattered, but I really don't think that's the case in retrospect. You really just have to have a great 20 minute interview and look good to the firm on paper to get a CB. So to answer your question, just chill out at receptions and don't risk looking like a gunner-douche to your peers and the firm reps. Be normal. I suppose if it's a dinner, be friendly and act interested--though it's my understanding that dinners usually mean you already have a CB (or will likely get one) so the pressure is kind of off there. If it's a reception, it helps immensely to have a friend you can be awkward with/bail early with too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:38 am

Little bit late in the game here, but looking for some last minute input on what to expect out of my lottery interviews. I'm near the bottom of the class (3.1ish), but I was pleased to find I still got 10 non-preselect interviews with Bay Area and LA firms. I have strong ties to both markets, but no IP background. I just feel like some of these interviews must be a waste of time; can I really say anything that will make firms like Jones Day, Sullivan and Cromwell, or Latham give a call back to someone as far below median as I am?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Little bit late in the game here, but looking for some last minute input on what to expect out of my lottery interviews. I'm near the bottom of the class (3.1ish), but I was pleased to find I still got 10 non-preselect interviews with Bay Area and LA firms. I have strong ties to both markets, but no IP background. I just feel like some of these interviews must be a waste of time; can I really say anything that will make firms like Jones Day, Sullivan and Cromwell, or Latham give a call back to someone as far below median as I am?

If they're lottery interviews, that's going to be a really tough sell for you. If you put those firms high in your bid list and ended up with them as your lottery selections, that was unwise. But if you just had them dumped at the bottom and still ended up with them, then hell, realize your chances are extremely slim, and take some chances in the interview you wouldn't normally take. Give a few aggressive answers, try out having a really abrasive/dominant/whatever personality, whatever.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What is the general demeanor of what to do at these staged firm social events like bars or dinners particularly if they are pre-interview? It feels like a blind date with the increased of awkwardness of also making it like the bachelor in that there are many people competing for attention. Do we need to be one of those a-holes who goes up to them and kisses up or can we just chill, talk to people we know and wait for eye contact?

Last year I used to think what interviewees did at receptions really mattered, but I really don't think that's the case in retrospect. You really just have to have a great 20 minute interview and look good to the firm on paper to get a CB. So to answer your question, just chill out at receptions and don't risk looking like a gunner-douche to your peers and the firm reps. Be normal. I suppose if it's a dinner, be friendly and act interested--though it's my understanding that dinners usually mean you already have a CB (or will likely get one) so the pressure is kind of off there. If it's a reception, it helps immensely to have a friend you can be awkward with/bail early with too.

If it is a pre-interview dinner, it is extremely important, and should be treated as part of the interview.

InferenceOptional

Postby InferenceOptional » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:47 pm

Before people start flipping out the first three days, read last year's thread to get perspective on that most firms don't decide within 24 hours.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:33 pm

Haven't read through the last few pages, but I'll pop in some advice: make sure to arrive like 30-40 minutes early to school. It's super freaking humid so get to school early, chill and cool off. The last thing you want is to be arriving at the very last minute, sweating profusely, and trying to figure out where your interview room is.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:36 pm

desertlaw wrote:Haven't read through the last few pages, but I'll pop in some advice: make sure to arrive like 30-40 minutes early to school. It's super freaking humid so get to school early, chill and cool off. The last thing you want is to be arriving at the very last minute, sweating profusely, and trying to figure out where your interview room is.

credited

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Agreed. If we're talking pre-screener dinners/receptions, my personal impression (as someone who totally blew it at OGI but still just made it out with a post-SA offer) was that they barely mattered. If you're the long-fabled "median student with SHINING PERSONALITY" who actually enjoys these events, and can make people like you or whatever, then fine, go if you want. But if you're awkward like me and are just going to miserable, IMO, there is just more chance of harm than good, and you shouldn't even bother. There were enough stories last year of people with great grades committing faux pas (albeit minor ones) or just not bothering to attend these events, and still getting callbacks/offers, to make me think that these are more marketing for the firm to woo the candidates they already want to CB than for the firm to genuinely make decisions about people. You really just go and get an earful of propaganda about "substantive work" and "work-life balance" from people who aren't going to remember your name in the screener the next day.

OTOH, if you're talking pre-CB dinners (dinners for people who got a callback), you should definitely go to that, and as the above poster said, just don't make an ass of yourself. I was definitely at a few of those where some students tried to woo partners by talking about people they kind of sort of knew from a club in college or whatever who were at the firm, getting wasted and cracking stupid jokes, and being condescending to their fellow Cavs as they tried to butter up the attorneys. They didn't get offers, but the Law Review types who missed the dinner to attend another dinner for another firm, or who did attend but just sat there quietly and politely interjected on occasion, did. This probably runs contrary to what CSO says about putting yourself out there, etc., so feel free to listen to people with actual knowledge/experience over me. Just my personal experience.

- 3L

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If it is a pre-interview dinner, it is extremely important, and should be treated as part of the interview.

Right. So go, but don't be an idiot. Be friendly and conversational. Don't try to monopolize the conversation by talking about yourself. That's for the interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:17 pm

Ugh. Getting a headache just thinking about Monday.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:42 pm

OGI is actually pretty fun if you just relax. Realize how far you've got and enjoy the opportunity.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:39 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:OGI is actually pretty fun if you just relax. Realize how far you've got and enjoy the opportunity.

Eh, our performance is likely worth as much as several exams and it's the opposite of the killer skill set. I do my best under pressure, but I have very fight/flight reactions when I'm stressed. The real challenge here is not being stressed, so showing up early is fine. However, while I agree it's a great opportunity, the bottom line is that if one were to strikeout while paying sticker dropping out might become the smartest call.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:42 pm

How much do we have to know about firms?

I know like nothing, mostly been working on my interview responses and was just gonna read the interviewer bio's. Is this troublesome? Full boatload of interviews, all front loaded.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:08 am

jawsthegreat wrote:OGI is actually pretty fun if you just relax. Realize how far you've got and enjoy the opportunity.

Yup. This type of attitude is the winning attitude. Enjoy it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:36 pm

I'm sure glad career services told us to get a tailored suit along with a plethora of other non-possible-to-occur-in-the-last-minute information, at 4pm on a Sunday before my 9am Monday interview. :lol:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:40 pm

I'm sure glad career services told us to get a tailored suit along with a plethora of other non-possible-to-occur-in-the-last-minute information, at 4pm on a Sunday before my 9am Monday interview.

I couldn't make it, but figured it would just be them restating most of the OGI handbook. Did I miss anything actually worthwhile?

StanleyF

Postby StanleyF » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:How much do we have to know about firms?

I know like nothing, mostly been working on my interview responses and was just gonna read the interviewer bio's. Is this troublesome? Full boatload of interviews, all front loaded.

Reading the bios and the firm's description of itself is probably sufficient. Mostly you just want to be sure you've checked the website so you don't ask a question that is already answered on the site. Some firms put up lots of information about their summer programs, so read that. I also googled the firms to see if they were involved in some big story that I should know about, but none of them were. I made notes about the people I was interviewing with in that stupid black resume holder everyone will be carrying around for the next three weeks, which gave me something to look at before the interview.

If you can relax and realize that this process really is pretty fun, you will do great at OGI. People ask you questions about yourself, and you answer them. You get to ask them questions about what they do, and they answer. Everyone is looking to like each other. It's a bunch of 20 minute conversations.

Return to “Legal Employment”