2013 UVA OGI Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273112
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:34 pm

envisciguy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Should i be checking symplicity for alternates that turn into preselects or does KD email you every time?


I was under the impression that he only emails you if the alternates become preselects and you had already signed up for 23 preselects. I could be wrong though.

The firms do not pick which alternates become preselects. That's up to KD. Ergo the importance of always having $350 handy.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273112
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
envisciguy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Should i be checking symplicity for alternates that turn into preselects or does KD email you every time?


I was under the impression that he only emails you if the alternates become preselects and you had already signed up for 23 preselects. I could be wrong though.

The firms do not pick which alternates become preselects. That's up to KD. Ergo the importance of always having $350 handy.


i dont get the 350 reference here

sprezz
Posts: 399
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby sprezz » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:48 pm

tree fiddy is what you have to give a loch ness monstah to get a pair of black park avenues.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby sundance95 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:54 pm

sprezz wrote:tree fiddy is what you have to give a loch ness monstah to get a pair of black park avenues.

not right now--there's a nordstroms sale that AE is matching until Aug 5. Whichever poster first tipped me off to this tyvm; I'm in my strands right now and life is good

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/allen-edmonds-park-avenue-oxford-men/3348219?origin=category-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=900&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-browseresults-_-1_2_C

Anonymous User
Posts: 273112
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:55 pm

sprezz wrote:tree fiddy is what you have to give a loch ness monstah to get a pair of black park avenues.

Will there really be a substantial minority in the park avenues? $350 is so much to spend on shoes.

envisciguy
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:15 pm

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby envisciguy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
envisciguy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Should i be checking symplicity for alternates that turn into preselects or does KD email you every time?


I was under the impression that he only emails you if the alternates become preselects and you had already signed up for 23 preselects. I could be wrong though.

The firms do not pick which alternates become preselects. That's up to KD. Ergo the importance of always having $350 handy.


Right, but if you accepted the firms as alternates, I figured KD automatically gave them to you as preselects without checking in if you're under the 23 limit.

sprezz
Posts: 399
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby sprezz » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:28 pm

sundance95 wrote:
sprezz wrote:tree fiddy is what you have to give a loch ness monstah to get a pair of black park avenues.

Whichever poster first tipped me off to this...

:wink:

eta: i dunno, probly a "not insignificant minority" in black pa's but i'm just guessing. i saw multiple pair during LRW oral arguments.
Last edited by sprezz on Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273112
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Data point: Median, 16 PS, 11 A. DC/NYC - networking ftw


wow. 16 is really good numbers. do you have WE?


No WE other than internships. K-JD. Just really worked hard networking.



Jesus man that's awesome. How did you do it??? Minority?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273112
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Data point: Median, 16 PS, 11 A. DC/NYC - networking ftw


wow. 16 is really good numbers. do you have WE?


No WE other than internships. K-JD. Just really worked hard networking.



Jesus man that's awesome. How did you do it??? Minority?


Seriously??? No, I'm not a minority. White male. But, um, wow.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273112
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:00 pm

wow. 16 is really good numbers. do you have WE?[/quote]

No WE other than internships. K-JD. Just really worked hard networking.[/quote]


Jesus man that's awesome. How did you do it??? Minority?[/quote]

Seriously??? No, I'm not a minority. White male. But, um, wow.[/quote]

Didn't mean to offend...though it shouldn't even offend, man. Just completely curious.

Anyway, any chance you can give some pointers? Median here but not nearly as many PS

Anonymous User
Posts: 273112
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:16 pm

Any movement on alts today?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273112
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any movement on alts today?


What is the likelihood that an alternate turns into a pre-select?

User avatar
InferenceOptional
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:05 pm

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby InferenceOptional » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any movement on alts today?


What is the likelihood that an alternate turns into a pre-select?

Growing up I was always told 15%, but it seems that 18% is now standard. If you're a particularly good candidate maybe 25%, and large breasts can make it 30%. If you're a bad candidate, I'd say it's possible to get only 10% and if you're dealing with some minority firms who may not be accustomed to our preselect/alternating culture it might be 0% so just be grateful for whatever you get.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6342
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby 5ky » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:33 pm

this thread sucks

envisciguy
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:15 pm

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby envisciguy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:26 am

5ky wrote:this thread sucks


Seconded.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:46 am

InferenceOptional wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any movement on alts today?


What is the likelihood that an alternate turns into a pre-select?

Growing up I was always told 15%, but it seems that 18% is now standard. If you're a particularly good candidate maybe 25%, and large breasts can make it 30%. If you're a bad candidate, I'd say it's possible to get only 10% and if you're dealing with some minority firms who may not be accustomed to our preselect/alternating culture it might be 0% so just be grateful for whatever you get.



Do you guys think its worth it to invest in breast implants in order to get the extra 5 percent probability?

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any movement on alts today?


What is the likelihood that an alternate turns into a pre-select?


I'm actually very interested in this question. Does anyone have a serious answer?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273112
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any movement on alts today?


S&C

Anonymous User
Posts: 273112
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any movement on alts today?


S&C


How does anyone know if there is movement with alts?

Schulte212
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:20 pm

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Schulte212 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:34 am

5ky wrote:this thread sucks

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6342
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby 5ky » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:37 am

yngblkgifted wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any movement on alts today?


What is the likelihood that an alternate turns into a pre-select?


I'm actually very interested in this question. Does anyone have a serious answer?


nobody answered because it's essentially an unanswerable question. you don't know where you are on the alternate list, it's almost completely firm-dependent, and it just depends on the personal choices of the people ahead of you.

that being said, it is probably not unreasonable to expect it will be more likely for 'less desirable' firms to go alternate to pre-select than more desirable ones.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273112
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any movement on alts today?


S&C


How does anyone know if there is movement with alts?


KD let us know (I don't know how many, everyone was bcc'ed)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273112
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any movement on alts today?


S&C


How does anyone know if there is movement with alts?


KD let us know (I don't know how many, everyone was bcc'ed)


S&C was an outlier though because they added more interview slots as opposed to alternates filling the regular preselect spots that were declined.

User avatar
chup
Posts: 23645
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby chup » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:18 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
InferenceOptional wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What is the likelihood that an alternate turns into a pre-select?

Growing up I was always told 15%, but it seems that 18% is now standard. If you're a particularly good candidate maybe 25%, and large breasts can make it 30%. If you're a bad candidate, I'd say it's possible to get only 10% and if you're dealing with some minority firms who may not be accustomed to our preselect/alternating culture it might be 0% so just be grateful for whatever you get.

Do you guys think its worth it to invest in breast implants in order to get the extra 5 percent probability?

If you're going to be retarded, you don't need to use anon.

User avatar
InferenceOptional
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:05 pm

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby InferenceOptional » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:52 pm

chup wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
InferenceOptional wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What is the likelihood that an alternate turns into a pre-select?

Growing up I was always told 15%, but it seems that 18% is now standard. If you're a particularly good candidate maybe 25%, and large breasts can make it 30%. If you're a bad candidate, I'd say it's possible to get only 10% and if you're dealing with some minority firms who may not be accustomed to our preselect/alternating culture it might be 0% so just be grateful for whatever you get.

Do you guys think its worth it to invest in breast implants in order to get the extra 5 percent probability?

If you're going to be retarded, you don't need to use anon.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.