2013 UVA OGI Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:21 pm

Lower data point since we seem to be underrepresented here: 3.4x, 10 preselects, 7 alternates, mostly DC

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:45 pm

chem wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are these all just anonymous humble brags. I'm happy too but why is this a contest?

Out of curiosity if we're all around the same grade pool and got preselects in secondary markets with minimal ties like Richmond, Philly, etc does this mean ties no longer matter or that nobody bid?

I went about 25 percent in CA, 70 percent in NY and 100 percent in bumble(expletive). I think being upper class in these smaller cities may be better than being middle of the road in big cities but are these secondaries interview wastes?


Not a contest I don't think. People are just giving Data points, which can be helpful information both now and for the next class. A 3.5 next year may look at this and shy away from DC, whereas a 3.7 may be more aggressive. It can also help today's class, because if they get anomalous results it may be a problem with their application materials, and they can revise appropriately for mass mails


this

also, this is a really basic question but I'm having trouble looking up projected class size/number of interviews for the firms. anyone know where we find them?

WalnutSurprise
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:59 pm

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby WalnutSurprise » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:also, this is a really basic question but I'm having trouble looking up projected class size/number of interviews for the firms. anyone know where we find them?

If you received the data sets from KD back at the end of May, then you can get the info from there. If not, you can see projected class size on NALP, but I don't know where you could find the number of interviews.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:28 pm

Number of interviews is also on the form KD gave us.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

olive16
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:13 pm

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby olive16 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:37 pm

-
Last edited by olive16 on Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:3.9x, went all in on DC. 20 preselects and 11 alternates. Certainly can't complain - just want to offer a data point.


Anon from above. Did you use all 50 of your bids?


Yes

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:50 pm

.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, his apology was weird. But I imagine some people are super stressed and scared.


Wait, what happened

olive16
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:13 pm

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby olive16 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:08 pm

It's no big deal. It's silly, actually.

EDIT: Given the point of his email, I suggest we edit out the posts talking about it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:29 pm

~top 25%. bids split 50-50 between NYC and DC. 13 Pre 11 Alt with most coming in NYC

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:~top 25%. bids split 50-50 between NYC and DC. 13 Pre 11 Alt with most coming in NYC

Were the preselects with more selective or less selective firms?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:~top 25%. bids split 50-50 between NYC and DC. 13 Pre 11 Alt with most coming in NYC

Were the preselects with more selective or less selective firms?

Mostly band 1 and 2 v25-v75s

I did more analysis - 9 of 11 alternates were with more selective firms while preselects were evenly split between band 1 and 2
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:58 pm

I think with the 3.9's they get yield protected without a cover letter so have less interviews. For example, I'm in the sub LR range and got denied at most of the band 3's I had a legitimate interest in but got most of the most selective firms. I'd imagine once you're over a 3.7 grades don't matter.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think with the 3.9's they get yield protected without a cover letter so have less interviews. For example, I'm in the sub LR range and got denied at most of the band 3's I had a legitimate interest in but got most of the most selective firms. I'd imagine once you're over a 3.7 grades don't matter.

This is probably true. I work at a firm that isn't among the most selective, and the decision-makers know that if they fill the interview slots with 3.7s they are likely getting no one from UVA.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:28 pm

Median. 7 preselects, 7 alts. Got crushed in DC, didn't bid NYC, not too shabby in secondaries.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:08 pm

Are you guys reaching out to these firms now?

I heard of people reaching out during the pre-select stage, which is pretty gunnery but good for them. At this point what are most people doing?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:40 pm

Sitting with close to the 23 limit with a ton of alternates. There are about 8 alternates I'd really like. As for the other alternates, I'd rather have the preselects I have over them. Is it dumb to decline the alternates I'm not as interested in and keep the others? My reasoning is that if some of the 8 alternates don't come through, I'd rather leave a spot for the lottery to try to get them as opposed to having an interview I'm not that interested in. I should mention I already have a job offer from a firm in a secondary market. Bad idea?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sitting with close to the 23 limit with a ton of alternates. There are about 8 alternates I'd really like. As for the other alternates, I'd rather have the preselects I have over them. Is it dumb to decline the alternates I'm not as interested in and keep the others? My reasoning is that if some of the 8 alternates don't come through, I'd rather leave a spot for the lottery to try to get them as opposed to having an interview I'm not that interested in. I should mention I already have a job offer from a firm in a secondary market. Bad idea?

It depends on how you did in your top 10. If you got preselected at all of those, I'd personally take the alternates. If not, right on.

It does depend on how much you like the offer too. No reason to do the full 23 if you only have 10 you like more than your current offer.

How'd you get your offer?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:32 pm

Anon from two above.

I think out of my top ten I had 4 preselects, 4 alternates, and 2 not invited, so I'm still trying for a lot of my top ones (all in DC, all within my GPA range -just missed VLR). My offer was from my 1L summer associate position. Love to go back there, but trying to get in DC if possible, although if all else fails I have a great job to go back to.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anon from two above.

I think out of my top ten I had 4 preselects, 4 alternates, and 2 not invited, so I'm still trying for a lot of my top ones (all in DC, all within my GPA range -just missed VLR). My offer was from my 1L summer associate position. Love to go back there, but trying to get in DC if possible, although if all else fails I have a great job to go back to.

My understanding is that if you accept them all, and keep alternates then the alternates will throw out the firms ranked loweron your bid list (may be wrong).

I'd reject all firms you would not take above your current offer. You are wasting everyone's time, and another student may kill to get these interviews.

I have similar grades, but no current offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:43 am

Near the rock bottom of class. 6 preselects, two in major target market. 4 alternates

Though have had quite a few bites from networking this summer

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:06 am

deleted
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:32 am

Median, below average resume, 7 PS, 5 alts. Bid primarily NYC and non NYC/DC major market. Didn't do well in NYC or offices that shared interview pools. Do people actually get jobs through the lottery?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Median, below average resume, 7 PS, 5 alts. Bid primarily NYC and non NYC/DC major market. Didn't do well in NYC or offices that shared interview pools. Do people actually get jobs through the lottery?


I know multiple rising 3Ls that received their SAs through lottery interviews. You have to remember that the preselects are pretty much based on your resume and unofficial transcript. Also, some firms have a LOT more interview slots than others - I think A&P has ~80 slots while Latham DC has 20. So some firms don't have enough slots to preselect every person they would potentially hire. But I think it's safe to say that the median student getting a lottery interview with Cravath is probably not going to have a lot of luck. Be realistic.

User avatar
plenipotentiary
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby plenipotentiary » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:39 pm

Yes, people get jobs through the lottery. I got my job through the lottery. I don't even think it's uncommon. I generally got the impression that interviewers didn't know whether I was a preselect, because preselects are done by the recruiting staff and not by the lawyer they choose to send into the room.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.