2013 UVA OGI Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:31 am

Anyone have any thoughts on the OGI process for transfers? Coming from T2 top 9%. Career services told me to bid in band 2/3 and I'm happy to do that, but do I have a shot at those even?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:39 am

which is a bigger waste of a bid for a median student--a firm in your band that only expects 1-3 summers, or a firm way above your gpa range that expects 50+?

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:which is a bigger waste of a bid for a median student--a firm in your band that only expects 1-3 summers, or a firm way above your gpa range that expects 50+?

Are they mutually exclusive? Both have long odds for you, not sure which is worse. Maybe the one with only expecting 1-3 summers if you have really good resume + interview ability/personality. But both are tough.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
desertlaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Two questions:

1. Since career services' asterisks in their firm list don't really help very much, can we flesh this out a little more? what's off limits in NYC with a a low 3.6x?

2. I've had a counseling appointment "pending" in simplicity for a week. Does anyone know what's up with that?

A big reach for 3.6x would be Cravath, S&C, Wachtell for NYC. Everything else is probably fair game.

For the poster above with a 3.6-3.7 looking for LA, then Irell is probably your biggest reach along with S&C. Everything else is in your range.

ooh oooh do NorCal and DC reaches!

NorCal reach firms don't come to OGI, and there aren't that many of them--only one I can think of that would be a real reach with a 3.6x would be Keker, but my understanding is that they are incredibly selective, and generally bring in the top student out of Boalt along with one or two HYS. Munger SF doesn't take SAs. With regards to LA, I can attest that Irell is possible with a high 3.6, particularly if you have work experience.

Many others are more knowledgeable about DC, I'll let them discuss that market.

If you want NorCal, you'll get the screeners you bid on. Conversion will be much more about fit and convincing them of ties/that you really want to be in the Bay Area.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:15 pm

desertlaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:which is a bigger waste of a bid for a median student--a firm in your band that only expects 1-3 summers, or a firm way above your gpa range that expects 50+?

Are they mutually exclusive? Both have long odds for you, not sure which is worse. Maybe the one with only expecting 1-3 summers if you have really good resume + interview ability/personality. But both are tough.

I guess my issue is that there are only so many firms that are good bets for median students w/o tiny class sizes. Just trying to figure out how best to allocate some lower slots, other suggestions are welcome..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:32 pm

VLR callbacks going out. 3.77

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:VLR callbacks going out. 3.77

Similar GPA, got a call this morning. Curious to see if people below 3.75 or so get one. Feel like the grade-on could be higher this year due to the grading policy changes
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:21 pm

Anyone know how long it takes VLR to make all the calls? I'm on the lower end of the historic cutoff and would really like to know when I should stop wondering if I'll get a call.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Similar GPA, got a call this morning. Curious to see if people below 3.75 or so get one. Feel like the grade-on could be higher this year due to the grading policy changes

I thought the grading policy changes did not effect 1L classes. I guess the difference could come from the 2 electives you get, but dang, if they dont go above 3.75...thats way higher than usual

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

On with a 3.73.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:14 pm

I dont believe the grading policies, even if they did affect 1Ls, would matter for 1Ls anyways. Until this coming fall, the grading policy was only that classes of 15 or fewer could alter the curve to fit the mean GPA of the class. About 99% of 1Ls did not take an elective with 15 or fewer people. Going forward, classes of any size can alter their curve to fit the mean GPA of the class. But even still, this really only affects a select few classes (fed courts)

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I dont believe the grading policies, even if they did affect 1Ls, would matter for 1Ls anyways. Until this coming fall, the grading policy was only that classes of 15 or fewer could alter the curve to fit the mean GPA of the class. About 99% of 1Ls did not take an elective with 15 or fewer people. Going forward, classes of any size can alter their curve to fit the mean GPA of the class. But even still, this really only affects a select few classes (fed courts)

It applied last spring, too. But as the above post indicates, if it made any difference it was minimal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:30 pm

Have write-on/diversity calls gone out too? Or just grade-ons?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have write-on/diversity calls gone out too? Or just grade-ons?

I can't say for sure, but when I got the call they didn't say "Congrats, you graded on to Law Review", it was just "You are invited to join Law Review". So, my assumption is that all of the calls went out at the same time, with no regard to grade on/write on/diversity and no indication to invitees as to why they got the invite.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:24 pm

you just get a call inviting you to the law review, you don't get told why you are being invited

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:18 pm

Is it safe to assume that VLR got through all the callbacks today, or is there some hope that there might still be some calls tomorrow?

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:11 pm

There are very few reaches in NYC with a 3.6.

Sull Crom is stretch but doable, Skadden is totally fine.
Wachtell and Cravath are probably a waste, but they won't laugh you out of the room. Same goes for Boies Schiller. Paul Weiss can be pretty competitive too. Quinn Emmanuel is pretty choosy based on grades so your chances are not that high.

Here is the thing: NYC will be pretty solid, you'll probably have more bids than you need. If a firm in NYC catches your eye, BID on it. Do not bid on a bunch of v50 firms with a 3.6 to be totally safe.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:23 am

I don't think Wachtell even comes to OGI, do they? 3.6+ is possible for S&C, you should bid on them if you want them. Cravath is less likely, but as joeschmo said, you'll probably be just fine, so you should bid on them if you want to. That's probably a better use of your bid than being one of 110 people bidding on 20 slots for King & Spalding NY or something

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:00 am

Targeting the Pacific Northwest with strong ties and a 3.3x...anything I should be aware of in particular?

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:35 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:There are very few reaches in NYC with a 3.6.

Wachtell and Cravath are probably a waste, but they won't laugh you out of the room. Same goes for Boies Schiller. Paul Weiss can be pretty competitive too. Quinn Emmanuel is pretty choosy based on grades so your chances are not that high.

Here is the thing: NYC will be pretty solid, you'll probably have more bids than you need. If a firm in NYC catches your eye, BID on it. Do not bid on a bunch of v50 firms with a 3.6 to be totally safe.

The key with a 3.6 is to avoid being objectively poor with your interviewing. I knew a guy like that once.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:41 pm

I don't know who these people are talking about Wachtell. Unless things have changed this year, Wachtell does not do OGI. As a mass mail, you'd probably need a minimum 3.8 to have a chance/callback. And either 3.8 PLUS solid finance experience or 3.9+ without finance experience to have a real shot of an offer.

Quinn is doable at 3.6 and it doesn't matter since they're not doing OGI so you just mass mail.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I don't know who these people are talking about Wachtell. Unless things have changed this year, Wachtell does not do OGI. As a mass mail, you'd probably need a minimum 3.8 to have a chance/callback. And either 3.8 PLUS solid finance experience or 3.9+ without finance experience to have a real shot of an offer.

Quinn is doable at 3.6 and it doesn't matter since they're not doing OGI so you just mass mail.

The bottom line is you are not going to get Wachtell coming from UVa.

olive16

Postby olive16 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:22 pm

What kinds of firms come to the September OGI session?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Quinn has given CBs to UVA people at or just below 3.6 this year.

Both Paul Weiss & Sull Crom dipped to 3.5 last year for CBs and offers. But don't get your hopes up.

Last year KDon told me that Boies had the 2nd highest gpa floor for recent callbacks, behind only Williams & Connolly. And I believe the number he gave was in the 3.65 range, but I'm not 100% certain. It's possible Cravath gave a callback on weird circumstances. Without that, I'd assume they'd be higher.

It has been said before, but top 25% is perfectly capable of landing at almost any firm in New York. I believe that's particularly true for those with a believable story about why you want to do corporate/transactional work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:54 am

Anyone have any experience targeting the Denver market around median (slightly above)?

Return to “Legal Employment”