2013 UVA OGI Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any good news from people who were waiting for offers? I know things are pretty much downhill from here but I can't lose hope just yet.
Good news? Hell nah, that wouldn't happen.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:08 am

Good news! BigLaw is still possible in February.

For anyone reading this next year... I struck out at OGIs and had given up getting the $$ and security of biglaw. But there are random positions that open up for Spring OGIs (this year only one BigLaw firm came and one small firm) or posted on Symplicity from firms that decide they need a bigger summer class.

3.5x GPA, 2 years WE, non-crazy person, 3 callbacks, 25 interviews at OGI (only applied to one NY firm, maybe that was my mistake, but I hate NY!), later sent out 200 resumes, filled out dozens of online forms, 10+ more interviews after OGIs (including public service). Sorry if this happens to you, it sucks.

Finally... just now got V10 DC. Ya never know. *Shrug.*

http://youtu.be/Kl1rRxG251s?t=1m15s

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:05 am

congrats :D

#teamFuckNYC

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Good news! BigLaw is still possible in February.

For anyone reading this next year... I struck out at OGIs and had given up getting the $$ and security of biglaw. But there are random positions that open up for Spring OGIs (this year only one BigLaw firm came and one small firm) or posted on Symplicity from firms that decide they need a bigger summer class.

3.5x GPA, 2 years WE, non-crazy person, 3 callbacks, 25 interviews at OGI (only applied to one NY firm, maybe that was my mistake, but I hate NY!), later sent out 200 resumes, filled out dozens of online forms, 10+ more interviews after OGIs (including public service). Sorry if this happens to you, it sucks.

Finally... just now got V10 DC. Ya never know. *Shrug.*

http://youtu.be/Kl1rRxG251s?t=1m15s
3.4x here who had largely the same experience during OGI and through the fall. But plenty of us applied for that one V10 DC firm (and whoever else crept up on Symplicity), and we're still empty handed. So, for the people reading next year, get your mailing done during the summer. Just because OCS says you'll be fine (as I was repeatedly assured through the summer), doesn't mean it will be true.

Also, you'll hear in the lead up to OGI and throughout it that no news is good news. Wrong. Everything is bad news until you have an offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:22 pm

The main thing is to not be cocky. Mass mailing every firm in your market(s) not coming the moment you get the career list is necessary. By the time I realized I could strikeout, I had precluded myself from 90% of opportunities. Irrespective of GPA, law review, etc. there is an element of luck and uncontrollable factors that never 100% guarantee anything. At the very least any interviews you get in October could be gotten in July so you'll be more prepared.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Proskauer NY and Fulbright NY dings via email yesterday.
sorry thought this was for 2014

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”