2013 UVA OGI Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:44 pm

Would putting hogan lovells (Denver) in my top 3 with a slightly above median GPA (3.36) be a waste of a bid?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would putting Hogan Lovells (Denver) in my top 3 with a slightly above median GPA (3.36) be a waste of a bid?
Are you from Denver or Colorado? If so, then no.

If no, then probably, but not as much because of GPA as lack of ties to what is a pretty small market

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:51 pm

5ky wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Would putting Hogan Lovells (Denver) in my top 3 with a slightly above median GPA (3.36) be a waste of a bid?

If no, then probably, but not as much because of GPA as lack of ties to what is a pretty small market
Probably should have provided that info...born and raised in Denver and still have tons of family in and around the city.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
5ky wrote:

Probably should have provided that info...born and raised in Denver and still have tons of family in and around the city.
If you want to be in Denver, you should bid all of 'em that come. You'll get a bite. Better yet, if you're in town late this summer, let them know, and it is possible you can bypass the whole thing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:09 pm

Is there a point of reaching out to a recruiter in a large market one has no ties to (but would most likely be preselected if they had ties) if they are also putting this firm in their top 5 bids? I'd be explaining why I want to spend my career in the market (and most of the top firms in this market don't take cover letters). Will it help me at all if my #1 firm preselects me (i.e. would it make #2 more likely?) If no, it's prob safer to just tell him/her in person.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there a point of reaching out to a recruiter in a large market one has no ties to (but would most likely be preselected if they had ties) if they are also putting this firm in their top 5 bids? I'd be explaining why I want to spend my career in the market (and most of the top firms in this market don't take cover letters). Will it help me at all if my #1 firm preselects me (i.e. would it make #2 more likely?) If no, it's prob safer to just tell him/her in person.
what is "large market"? any market besides NYC/DC (and to a much lesser extent CA) will be really hard to crack without some ties. also no other markets are really "large". as a preliminary matter I would think twice about putting them in your top bids if it's not NY and DC - and if it is one of those then explaining why you want to live in that market isn't necessary to do outside of briefly in the interview room

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:49 am

3.43, secondary journal. Significant ties with each non-NYC/DC market, but my ideal place to be is Richmond. Any thoughts on the ordering much appreciated.

1. hogan lovells (DC)
2. Wiley Rein (DC)
3. Baker Botts (DC)
4. White & Case (DC)
5. Hunton Williams (Richmond)
6. Cooley (Reston)
7. Dechert (DC)
8. Wilkie Farr & Gallagher (DC)
9. Hirschler Fleischer (Richmond)
10. Cadwalader Wickersham & Taft (DC)
11. Baker Hostetler (DC)
12. Troutman Sanders (Richmond)
13. Kirkland and Ellis (NY)
14. Venable (DC)
15. Morrison & Foerster
16. Milbank Tweed (DC)
17. Weil Gotshal & Manges (DC)
18. Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman (DC)
19. williams mullen (Richmond)
20. Sidley Austin (NY)
21. Stroock & Stroock (NY)
22. Cahill Gordon & Reindel (NY)
23. Mayer Brown (NY)
24. King & Spalding (ATL)
25. Bryan Cave (DC)
26. Nixon Peabody (DC)
27. Wilkie Farr & Gallagher (NY)
28. Schulte Roth & Zabel (NY)
29. Baker Donelson Bearman Caldwell (ATL)
30. Kasowitz Beson (NY)
31. Seward & Kissel (DC)
32. Christian & Barton (Richmond)
33. K&L Gates (Charleston)
34. Reed Smith (NY)
35. Akin Gump (NY)
36. Chadbourne Parke (DC)
37. Curtis Mallet Prevost (DC)
38. Troutman (ATL)
39. Reed Smith (DC)
40. Morgan Lewis & Brockius (NY)
41. Holland & Knight (McLean)
42. McKenna Long & Aldridge (ATL)
43. Willcox & Savage (Norfolk)
44. King & Spalding (NY)
45. Arnall Golden Gregory (ATL)
46. Katten Muchin (NY)
47. clifford chance (NY)
48. Brown Rudnick (NY)
49. Watter Tieder (McLean)
50. Nelson Mullins (Columbia)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:10 am

It seems like you are missing quite a few quality firms in your secondary markets. Why no mcguirewoods Richmond or Alston & Bird/Kilpatrick/Sutherland/Jones Day ATL? All are SIGNIFICANTLY better than Baker Donelson in ATL, and probably better than McKenna and Troutman too (although within practice areas that is more debatable). Even Paul Hastings should be in there. I would check out Chambers & Partners to get a better grasp on the ATL market, specifically the practice area you are interested in (if you have such a thing). Right now your ATL bidding makes little to no sense.

Additionally, K&L Gates Charleston is hiring 3 SAs according to NALP. Not saying it is not worth a bid, but I would think about it and make sure you have good ties.

The shotgun approach to markets that you use here is a little risky. I am not saying not to do it, but just make sure you keep everything straight and have an answer for what other markets you are interviewing in that doesn't sound like a geography class.
Anonymous User wrote:3.43, secondary journal. Significant ties with each non-NYC/DC market, but my ideal place to be is Richmond. Any thoughts on the ordering much appreciated.

1. Hogan Lovells (DC)
2. Wiley Rein (DC)
3. Baker Botts (DC)
4. White & Case (DC)
6. Cooley (Reston)
7. Dechert (DC)
11. Baker Hostetler (DC)
14. Venable (DC)
15. Morrison & Foerster
16. Milbank Tweed (DC)
19. Williams Mullen (Richmond)
20. Sidley Austin (NY)
23. Mayer Brown (NY)
25. Bryan Cave (DC)
26. Nixon Peabody (DC)
30. Kasowitz Beson (NY)
31. Seward & Kissel (DC)
34. Reed Smith (NY)
35. Akin Gump (NY)
38. Troutman (ATL)
39. Reed Smith (DC)
44. King & Spalding (NY)
46. Katten Muchin (NY)
47. Clifford Chance (NY)
48. Brown Rudnick (NY)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:It seems like you are missing quite a few quality firms in your secondary markets. Why no McGuireWoods Richmond or Alston & Bird/Kilpatrick/Sutherland/Jones Day ATL? All are SIGNIFICANTLY better than Baker Donelson in ATL, and probably better than McKenna and Troutman too (although within practice areas that is more debatable). Even Paul Hastings should be in there. I would check out Chambers & Partners to get a better grasp on the ATL market, specifically the practice area you are interested in (if you have such a thing). Right now your ATL bidding makes little to no sense.

Additionally, K&L Gates Charleston is hiring 3 SAs according to NALP. Not saying it is not worth a bid, but I would think about it and make sure you have good ties.

The shotgun approach to markets that you use here is a little risky. I am not saying not to do it, but just make sure you keep everything straight and have an answer for what other markets you are interviewing in that doesn't sound like a geography class.
Anonymous User wrote:3.43, secondary journal. Significant ties with each non-NYC/DC market, but my ideal place to be is Richmond. Any thoughts on the ordering much appreciated.

1. Hogan Lovells (DC)
2. Wiley Rein (DC)
3. Baker Botts (DC)
4. White & Case (DC)
6. Cooley (Reston)
7. Dechert (DC)
11. Baker Hostetler (DC)
14. Venable (DC)
15. Morrison & Foerster
16. Milbank Tweed (DC)
20. Sidley Austin (NY)
23. Mayer Brown (NY)
25. Bryan Cave (DC)
26. Nixon Peabody (DC)
30. Kasowitz Beson (NY)
31. Seward & Kissel (DC)
34. Reed Smith (NY)
35. Akin Gump (NY)
38. Troutman (ATL)
39. Reed Smith (DC)
44. King & Spalding (NY)
46. Katten Muchin (NY)
47. Clifford Chance (NY)
48. Brown Rudnick (NY)
My ties to each market are solid. I'm a military kid so I've lived in all of those cities for several years. I can easily discuss parts of the cities, where I lived, etc. I still have some family in Atlanta and Charleston.

I'll definitely revist Atlanta. I honestly have no idea why I left off Jones Day and Alston.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It seems like you are missing quite a few quality firms in your secondary markets. Why no McGuireWoods Richmond or Alston & Bird/Kilpatrick/Sutherland/Jones Day ATL? All are SIGNIFICANTLY better than Baker Donelson in ATL, and probably better than McKenna and Troutman too (although within practice areas that is more debatable). Even Paul Hastings should be in there. I would check out Chambers & Partners to get a better grasp on the ATL market, specifically the practice area you are interested in (if you have such a thing). Right now your ATL bidding makes little to no sense.

1. Hogan Lovells (DC)
2. Wiley Rein (DC)
3. Baker Botts (DC)
4. White & Case (DC)
6. Cooley (Reston)
7. Dechert (DC)
11. Baker Hostetler (DC)
14. Venable (DC)
15. Morrison & Foerster
16. Milbank Tweed (DC)
20. Sidley Austin (NY)
23. Mayer Brown (NY)
25. Bryan Cave (DC)
26. Nixon Peabody (DC)
30. Kasowitz Beson (NY)
31. Seward & Kissel (DC)
34. Reed Smith (NY)
35. Akin Gump (NY)
38. Troutman (ATL)
39. Reed Smith (DC)
44. King & Spalding (NY)
46. Katten Muchin (NY)
47. Clifford Chance (NY)
48. Brown Rudnick (NY)
My ties to each market are solid. I'm a military kid so I've lived in all of those cities for several years. I can easily discuss parts of the cities, where I lived, etc. I still have some family in Atlanta and Charleston.

I'll definitely revist Atlanta. I honestly have no idea why I left off Jones Day and Alston.
I'm not questioning your ties. I am just saying that bidding on really 5 markets can be difficult for a host of reasons, the most prominent of which could be scheduling callbacks. Also, a "where else are you looking" question can be tricky. Just be ready. For instance, it might be hard to sell your commitment to Charleston/Columbia when you are only bidding one firm in each market. Not saying this is impossible again, just be careful.

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:30 pm

Just because you have ties to a market, doesn’t mean the firm isn’t going to question your desire to be there. If, and probably when, they ask you what other markets are you looking at, what is your answer going to be? V, X, Y, Z because I have ties to all those places? If that is your answer, you are going to get railed harder than Farrah Abraham. Firms don’t just want you to have ties to places but want you to have a DESIRE to be there. A desire to be somewhere is completely different than a REASON to be there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:27 am

3L here with a quick question. Working NYC biglaw, like the firm, current grades are exactly median. Is it worth bidding on any of the 3L OGI firms? Or should I just be hoping/praying for an offer?

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:3L here with a quick question. Working NYC biglaw, like the firm, current grades are exactly median. Is it worth bidding on any of the 3L OGI firms? Or should I just be hoping/praying for an offer?
From what I understand, 3L OGI is only used by some of the top firms to do some poaching and get students with stellar grades. I haven't seen this year's list, but that's typically the reputation of 3L OGI. I think your best chance is to get an offer, but bidding wouldn't exactly hurt either. If you're selected do you have to take the interview or can you decline (if you want to accept current firm's offer?). That's the only place I could see it hurting you is that you could take longer to accept original offer if you have to go through dance of 3L OGI interviews. That being said, I think your best bet is to get the offer from current firm and enjoy 3Lol.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:59 am

Thanks, that's kind of what I figured. I think I saw an email saying we could decline, but I can't find it now. Here's to hoping for 3lol.
desertlaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:3L here with a quick question. Working NYC biglaw, like the firm, current grades are exactly median. Is it worth bidding on any of the 3L OGI firms? Or should I just be hoping/praying for an offer?
From what I understand, 3L OGI is only used by some of the top firms to do some poaching and get students with stellar grades. I haven't seen this year's list, but that's typically the reputation of 3L OGI. I think your best chance is to get an offer, but bidding wouldn't exactly hurt either. If you're selected do you have to take the interview or can you decline (if you want to accept current firm's offer?). That's the only place I could see it hurting you is that you could take longer to accept original offer if you have to go through dance of 3L OGI interviews. That being said, I think your best bet is to get the offer from current firm and enjoy 3Lol.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:05 am

You do not have to accept 3L OGI interviews, assuming you are taking an offer from your summer firm

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:13 pm

Now is the calm before the storm. Your bids are in, your resumes are done, all you have left to do is pray.

And then in 2-3 weeks when pre-selects come out, you will all freak out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:38 am

Anecdotally, how many preselects do folks get at certain GPA ranges? For example, top 10%? top 25%? Do these people hit the max before interviews fall down to alternates? I feel like it is relatively important to know in terms of accepting/ declining if you hit near the maximum but maybe miss out on your top choices (and would like to keep the option open for alternates/ lottery)

Also, for those curious, it looks like the VLR masthead for this year is posted online now

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:05 am

desertlaw wrote:Now is the calm before the storm. Your bids are in, your resumes are done, all you have left to do is pray.

And then in 2-3 weeks when pre-selects come out, you will all freak out.
Hopefully people will be more calm this year (I know, almost no chance of that)

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anecdotally, how many preselects do folks get at certain GPA ranges? For example, top 10%? top 25%? Do these people hit the max before interviews fall down to alternates? I feel like it is relatively important to know in terms of accepting/ declining if you hit near the maximum but maybe miss out on your top choices (and would like to keep the option open for alternates/ lottery)

Also, for those curious, it looks like the VLR masthead for this year is posted online now
Not sure about last year, but OGI during 2011, people who were top 25% only had like 5-8 interviews via pre-select. Then the trickling down happened when top 10% declined things, and those in top 25% started complaining about having too many.

So usually the only ones to fill up to max during pre-select is the top 10-15%.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:32 am

What Boies offices go to UVA OGI?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:What Boies offices go to UVA OGI?
Why do you care?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:00 am

5ky wrote:
Why do you care?
If you don't want to tell me, that's fine. I just found out I'm interviewing a bunch of UVA people, and I wanted to know what other competitor firms these people will probably be interviewing with. Unfortunately, saying much more would out me. It's not a big deal, I'm just curious. I would just ask in the interview, but some people get really weird when that question is asked, and the answer might put off the partner I'll probably be in the room with, so I figured I'd ask here.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
5ky wrote:
Why do you care?
If you don't want to tell me, that's fine. I just found out I'm interviewing a bunch of UVA people, and I wanted to know what other competitor firms these people will probably be interviewing with. Unfortunately, saying much more would out me. It's not a big deal, I'm just curious. I would just ask in the interview, but some people get really weird when that question is asked, and the answer might put off the partner I'll probably be in the room with, so I figured I'd ask here.
I actually don't know, since I graduated. I thought you might be a 0L wandering in who needed to be pointed out of the thread.

I am curious why you are only concerned about 1 firm, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:24 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:53 pm

we can't see the bid lists anymore, but according to the "old" info we were given in june 10/12 boies offices will come to ogi. based off what you've said, i'm 95% sure the boies from your market is coming.. the two markets that aren't coming for boies don't have any other firms coming, either (again, as of the old info).

edited to delete the quote. enjoy charlottesville!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”