2013 UVA OGI Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2013 UVA OGI Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:04 pm

It's that time of the year.

To reiterate from the 2012 thread:

"1. Please only talk in this thread if you are/were a UVA student. I know last year there was a lot of people following this thread to see how UVA's OGI was doing. It turned out to cause a lot of panic and not be a good indicator of legal hiring at all. It is just too random. Also, for advice to be helpful it really ought to be UVA specific. Even CB info is not that helpful from other schools because interview dates could be several weeks different.
2. Certain info that CS asked be kept confidential ought to be kept confidential and not given out here (perhaps UVA mods can make sure of this).
3. How can it be OGI research time already?!?"

Here is the 2012 thread, which may be useful.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=186875

5ky

Diamond

Re: 2013 UVA OGI Thread

Post by 5ky » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:38 pm

Please note: if you are below top 25% or whatever, you must keep your expectations low for preselects. This has been a problem in the past. Eventually it will be sorted out between the trickle-down and the lottery, and on average, 75% of students will have at least 12-15 interviews or whatever -- it just takes a little longer to be sorted out for those kids not at the top of the class.

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:09 pm

also to reiterate the old thread: good luck, friends

UVAIce

Bronze

Post by UVAIce » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:45 pm

Hey Folks. Thought I would check in and see how everyone is feeling. I feel somewhat clueless about a good 70% of the firms that we have on the OGI list. Anyone have any advice on DC?

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:43 pm

5ky wrote:Please note: if you are below top 25% or whatever, you must keep your expectations low for preselects. This has been a problem in the past. Eventually it will be sorted out between the trickle-down and the lottery, and on average, 75% of students will have at least 12-15 interviews or whatever -- it just takes a little longer to be sorted out for those kids not at the top of the class.

Even if you are in the top 25% I would keep your expectations low re: preselects. I had a 3.5x and only received 4 preselects bidding almost all NYC. I eventually ended up with ~20 interviews and 12 or 13 callbacks, but I freaked when those initial preselects came out. Stay calm and it will most likely all work out just fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:48 pm

I have a question. If you have a 3.7X and you don't make VLR (high grade on cutoff), should that impact any of your bidding?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a question. If you have a 3.7X and you don't make VLR (high grade on cutoff), should that impact any of your bidding?
No. With a 3.7X, you have a legitimate shot at any firm that interviews at OGI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:41 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
5ky wrote:Please note: if you are below top 25% or whatever, you must keep your expectations low for preselects. This has been a problem in the past. Eventually it will be sorted out between the trickle-down and the lottery, and on average, 75% of students will have at least 12-15 interviews or whatever -- it just takes a little longer to be sorted out for those kids not at the top of the class.

Even if you are in the top 25% I would keep your expectations low re: preselects. I had a 3.5x and only received 4 preselects bidding almost all NYC. I eventually ended up with ~20 interviews and 12 or 13 callbacks, but I freaked when those initial preselects came out. Stay calm and it will most likely all work out just fine.
Do you think you could remember what your first 5-10 bids were? Just curious since I have a similar GPA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:

Do you think you could remember what your first 5-10 bids were? Just curious since I have a similar GPA.
I had a 3.55 and my first five bids were in the GDC/Latham/WilmerHale/Weil range. The only firms I'd say you definitely shouldn't waste a bid on are W&C, SullCrom and Cravath. Also, a lot of firms' DC offices have higher GPA cutoffs, which you can figure out be looking at their websites and noticing that almost all of the UVA people have "Coif" on their firm bios.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:49 pm

Ugh, I can't believe this is a thing already

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a question. If you have a 3.7X and you don't make VLR (high grade on cutoff), should that impact any of your bidding?
Looks like we are in the same boat compadre. Looking forward to comparing results. Hopefully see you on VLR

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Looks like we are in the same boat compadre. Looking forward to comparing results. Hopefully see you on VLR
Similar GPA. Any idea when calls go out?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Wow, and I was feeling special with >3.7

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Uncle.Joe

Bronze

Post by Uncle.Joe » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:47 pm

Did anyone feel like NYC was much harder to track from UVA than it was in previous years? Or did they just hate me?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I think your still like 3-4 weeks out. I mean you could just ask someone you know on MB

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Early-mid July

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:56 pm

Any general tips for bidding Los Angeles with a 3.36?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Uncle.Joe

Bronze

Post by Uncle.Joe » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any general tips for bidding Los Angeles with a 3.36?
As trite as it sounds I would network. All your GPA ranges questions are answered by the OGI materials. I would try and have a call/lunch/coffee with firms that I wanted and were something of reaches.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:36 pm

I had a 3.54 and targeted all NYC last year. Got a job. I can take questions re: bidding strategy.

UVAIce

Bronze

Post by UVAIce » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:50 pm

Uncle.Joe wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any general tips for bidding Los Angeles with a 3.36?
As trite as it sounds I would network. All your GPA ranges questions are answered by the OGI materials. I would try and have a call/lunch/coffee with firms that I wanted and were something of reaches.
Actually they are not. They just gave us GPA bands that end at 3.5+ and then give us the 25 firms with the highest average call back info. It does help folks with a 3.4 order their bids, but that's about it. For example, what are the firms with the 25 lowest GPA callbacks.

Apologies, posting on my phone.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:

I had a 3.55 and my first five bids were in the GDC/Latham/WilmerHale/Weil range. The only firms I'd say you definitely shouldn't waste a bid on are W&C, SullCrom and Cravath. Also, a lot of firms' DC offices have higher GPA cutoffs, which you can figure out be looking at their websites and noticing that almost all of the UVA people have "Coif" on their firm bios.
I know firsthand that S&C has hired down to 3.55 before.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:59 pm

Tag b/c idk how to subscribe. Sorry for bump.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:12 am

jawsthegreat wrote: I know firsthand that S&C has hired down to 3.55 before.
Yeah, it is possible. If you are looking for firms to add and don't have enough, I would put them on there.

But lets be honest, it's also unlikely. If you're bumping another firm with a decent # of SAs off the list to put S&C on there, I might not do that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:41 am

How risky is bidding all DC with a 3.53 (w/ ties, average resume/interviewing) last couple years? I was planning on 2/3 DC, 1/3 NYC and mass mailing some other markets, but I'd really prefer to just gun for DC with all my bids if it's not TOO risky.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:45 am

Add me to the 3.7X group just around VLR cutoff, depending what it is this year. Anyone have advice for bidding southeast firms, specifically Florida and Atlanta?

And to keep track of all the Anonymous postings, I'll use a fake name.

- Johnny Football

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”