does length of 1L summer internship/associate/work matter?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

does length of 1L summer internship/associate/work matter?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:14 am

hi,

im doing my summer of 1L for a month.

is this short?

should it at least be a bit longer?

wbrother

Re: does length of 1L summer internship/associate/work matter?

Postby wbrother » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:30 am

You probably want to be there for longer than a month if you want to get something out of it besides resume material. You'd probably get better resume material if you stayed longer too.

If you just need a placeholder for your resume, put it as "Summer 2013" instead of July 2013 or w/e, so it looks more legit

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:hi,

im doing my summer of 1L for a month.

is this short?

should it at least be a bit longer?

is this the only legal work your doing over the summer?????

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:18 am

It's probably fine but a bit weird. Ten weeks would be better. I would ask to stay longer.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:27 am

There's nothing wrong with putting "Summer 2013." That looks fine. The problem is not having enough to say during interviews or on your résumé when they ask.

Edit: crazy typos. Lol
Last edited by mr.hands on Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:51 am

I agree 1 month is weird and that you should write "Summer 2013" on your resume.

I don't necessarily think there would be not enough to say on your resume/during interviews when asked . . . a lot of times what you do over the course of 3 months is just more of the same things that you would do in 1. So for example instead of researching/writing one or two memos over the course of one month you'd do 3-6 over the course of three (well, practically, probably a lot more--but this is just example :P). On your resume it would more than likely look pretty similar.

But regardless, if it's just going to be a month, you should make sure that month is really productive, as to have as much on your resume as you can.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:12 pm

so the only real concern would be about having stuff to say right?

i ask because

1) i have asked some upper level classmates or colleagues and they said they didnt think it mattered much (however only one of em did a month or shorter than i did)

2) not that i doubt you guys, but did any of u actually go thru OCI?

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:26 pm

I went through OCI. Like others said, it's probably fine to just put "Summer 2013" on your resume, and it won't be a problem. But it would probably be better to get a little more experience and have time to maybe write something and get a good recommendation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:33 pm

If i feel as if i wont get much more (substantively) out of staying 2 or 4 weeks longer, do u think its fine to just do a month?

what would u do if u (or anyone else) felt the above?

*i realize u just mentioned my question above - if i dont get anything substantively - no need to stay.

like i said i know some individuals who did 6 weeks, and a friend who said that the recruiter never even asked how long it was, but that could be because it was for a sufficient period. i have a friend who had personal issues and ended up not doing anything yet still did ok employment wise (i realize other factors probably affected this)

any more input, opinions would be great!

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If i feel as if i wont get much more (substantively) out of staying 2 or 4 weeks longer, do u think its fine to just do a month?

what would u do if u (or anyone else) felt the above?

like i said i know some individuals who did 6 weeks, and a friend who said that the recruiter never even asked how long it was, but that could be because it was for a sufficient period. i have a friend who had personal issues and ended up not doing anything yet still did ok employment wise (i realize other factors probably affected this)

I don't think it's going to substantially effect your employment search. But I can't guarantee you that. If it were me and the option were on the table, I would do a standard 10 week internship.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:28 pm

sooo....why is it that this is only a month long internship?

Return to “Legal Employment”