Big drop in 1L GPA so far...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
longhorns89

Big drop in 1L GPA so far...

Postby longhorns89 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:31 pm

I've dropped .3 from 1st semester to this semester, going from all As and A-s to only Bs and B+s so far (one grade still not in). School does not rank but publishes top 25 and median. Before, I was about .2 GPA points above top 25th.I'm now about .1 points below last semester's 75th percentile and .25 or so above last semester's median. I realize that's not a terrible place to be after 1L but the drop does feel almost devastating and could go lower (or a little higher!). Not that it really matters I guess, but anyone have an idea of how common this is? Or whether for OCI employers just consider the final GPA or also consider (officially or not) the difference between fall and spring at a T20 school considered the top in the region?

de5igual

Re: Big drop in 1L GPA so far...

Postby de5igual » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:52 pm

longhorns89 wrote:I've dropped .3 from 1st semester to this semester, going from all As and A-s to only Bs and B+s so far (one grade still not in). School does not rank but publishes top 25 and median. Before, I was about .2 GPA points above top 25th.I'm now about .1 points below last semester's 75th percentile and .25 or so above last semester's median. I realize that's not a terrible place to be after 1L but the drop does feel almost devastating and could go lower (or a little higher!). Not that it really matters I guess, but anyone have an idea of how common this is? Or whether for OCI employers just consider the final GPA or also consider (officially or not) the difference between fall and spring at a T20 school considered the top in the region?

So you're at UT and have around a 3.6? You're fine. Employers dont give a crap about individual semester grades, just the cumulative.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:53 pm

My situation was a bit different, but FWIW I'll tell you about my experience. I was at a T14, and dropped from top 30% to a hair above median. Now, I still got a few decent grades in the spring, but totally bombed one class. Several people asked me along the lines of "what happened in property?" I didn't really know, so I didn't have a good answer, except "I wish I knew. I prepared the same way as for my other exams. It wasn't really my favorite class, so that might have played a part, blah blah blah." But no one seemed to indicate that my drop in GPA was some sort of disqualification, and I still did well at OCI.

Try to steer the conversation to other things. Internship, prior work experience, stuff not on your resume, etc.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:52 pm

GPA/rank matters, not 1L trend between semesters.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My situation was a bit different, but FWIW I'll tell you about my experience. I was at a T14, and dropped from top 30% to a hair above median. Now, I still got a few decent grades in the spring, but totally bombed one class. Several people asked me along the lines of "what happened in property?" I didn't really know, so I didn't have a good answer, except "I wish I knew. I prepared the same way as for my other exams. It wasn't really my favorite class, so that might have played a part, blah blah blah." But no one seemed to indicate that my drop in GPA was some sort of disqualification, and I still did well at OCI.

Try to steer the conversation to other things. Internship, prior work experience, stuff not on your resume, etc.

Well this makes me feel better...I dropped myself from top 35% to barely above median and feel absolutely horrible. Just one B and a bunch of medianish grades this semester was all it took.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:13 pm

Same here. All As and A- and then one B and one B- fucked my whole GPA up. Its fucking ridiculous how one grade hurts so much and I honestly dunno what happened... Still above median but barely.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My situation was a bit different, but FWIW I'll tell you about my experience. I was at a T14, and dropped from top 30% to a hair above median. Now, I still got a few decent grades in the spring, but totally bombed one class. Several people asked me along the lines of "what happened in property?" I didn't really know, so I didn't have a good answer, except "I wish I knew. I prepared the same way as for my other exams. It wasn't really my favorite class, so that might have played a part, blah blah blah." But no one seemed to indicate that my drop in GPA was some sort of disqualification, and I still did well at OCI.

Well this makes me feel better...I dropped myself from top 35% to barely above median and feel absolutely horrible. Just one B and a bunch of medianish grades this semester was all it took.

same shit dropped from like top 25 to maybe top 40 if im lucky depending on what the curve was like this semester

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm

My 1L year at UT I dropped just outside top quarter to median. I had a summer SA and was really freaked about it. Firm didn't really care and I still got interviews and offers at the big firms.

Return to “Legal Employment”