Which PI employers are less grades-conscious? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Which PI employers are less grades-conscious?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:24 pm

Rootbeer wrote:
Kronk wrote:
hopkins23 wrote:Da office
DA Office will generally check grades; PD generally ngaf.
Not true concerning DA's Office's. They generally won't. If they do it's for what classes you took, not your GPA.
But doesn't it depend on the geographic location? I can imagine a rural DA's office in the boonies not being concerned with prestige, but I'm sure that more desirable. competitive locales (i.e. Miami, NYC, etc.) would care a great deal about grades?

Rootbeer

New

Post by Rootbeer » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Depends on the office, right? I thought big city DA offices can be as prestige hungry as BigLaw? (Manhattan comes to mind)
Yes it does depend on the office. It's mostly just Manhattan and a few other offices. Think of it as the exception rather than the rule. Most hire the same way PDs do...trial experience, commitment to public service, commitment to prosecution, commitment to the office, and good interviews. Some put on their website that they care about "excellent academic credentials," but they really don't. If grades are even a factor, they're more like icing than the cake.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:26 pm

Well the DA offices in Colorado do, regardless of whether it's rural or urban, and the DA offices in San Francisco and the Bay Area do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:31 pm

Rootbeer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Depends on the office, right? I thought big city DA offices can be as prestige hungry as BigLaw? (Manhattan comes to mind)
Yes it does depend on the office. It's mostly just Manhattan and a few other offices. Think of it as the exception rather than the rule. Most hire the same way PDs do...trial experience, commitment to public service, commitment to prosecution, commitment to the office, and good interviews. Some put on their website that they care about "excellent academic credentials," but they really don't. If grades are even a factor, they're more like icing than the cake.
Thanks, this is helpful!

Anyone know anything about the Boston-area DAs offices (i.e. Suffolk, Middlesex, Essex)?

Rootbeer

New

Post by Rootbeer » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Rootbeer wrote:
Kronk wrote:
DA Office will generally check grades; PD generally ngaf.
Not true concerning DA's Office's. They generally won't. If they do it's for what classes you took, not your GPA.
But doesn't it depend on the geographic location? I can imagine a rural DA's office in the boonies not being concerned with prestige, but I'm sure that more desirable. competitive locales (i.e. Miami, NYC, etc.) would care a great deal about grades?
Yes, but there are plenty of big cities who operate the same way. I'll also see small offices outwardly say they want good grades and not mean it in reality. NYC, particularly Manhattahan and Bronx make hay of GPA, but Brooklyn and Queens not so much, from my experience. Aside from NYC, since you mentioned them, I can definitely tell you Miami's about the interview and crap grades/school won't stop you from getting one. Experience is a big deal to them too. I can't speak to every office, but of the ones I'm familiar with, NYC offices are the only ones who give them significant weight. You'll have to speak to people in the office though to get the real scoop...websites and job postings won't give it to you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:46 pm

Rootbeer...have the scoop on Philly DA and surrounding 'burbs?

Rootbeer

New

Post by Rootbeer » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rootbeer...have the scoop on Philly DA and surrounding 'burbs?
What I will say about those is that it's mixed among the burbs. Grades/school do not matter a lick to Philly DA, though they may matter if you are looking to go to Appeals.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:08 pm

Fast Food and Walmart

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:38 pm

^nice anon abuse...way to kick someone when they're down. :-/
Thanks to all others for constructive responses.

Is moot ct. pretty much a prerequisite for DA/PD work? I'm doing a clinic next semester, which I'm told should help a great deal in gaining practical skills and showing commitment to public service.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^nice anon abuse...way to kick someone when they're down. :-/

Is moot ct. pretty much a prerequisite for DA/PD work? I'm doing a clinic next semester, which I'm told should help a great deal in gaining practical skills and showing commitment to public service.
I think it helps a lot. I had a PD offer without, but that was because I nabbed a 1L internship with the PD so they knew me. If you don't have moot court, at least have a criminal trial practice class or something.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:48 pm

Will having worked with immigrant DV/SA victims this summer be a red flag to PD offices?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^nice anon abuse...way to kick someone when they're down. :-/

I think mock trial is more interesting to DA/PD employers, but that's just anecdotal based on the situation at my school - may not be universal.

Rootbeer

New

Post by Rootbeer » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:48 pm

Clinics/Internships are the most important...Mock Trial is good, but not as good as real experience. Clinics/Internships far and away make you a more attractive candidate. If anything else in law school is prerequisite, it would be Trial Ad and Crim-related classes. They definitely don't expect you to be on Trial Team, but if your transcript/resume doesn't show interest in what they do, you're usually not a good candidate. Moot Court depends on the office and if you're interested in Appeals. It's definitely NOT a prereq, but it's a nice thing to have for the main purpose of showing that you have public speaking skills. I can tell you that when it comes to actually doing the job, you'll find out both Mock and Moot are just edutainment, with Moot being the less valuable of the two.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:51 pm

Rootbeer wrote:Clinics/Internships are the most important...Mock Trial is good, but not as good as real experience. Clinics/Internships far and away make you a more attractive candidate. If anything else in law school is prerequisite, it would be Trial Ad and Crim-related classes. They definitely don't expect you to be on Trial Team, but if your transcript/resume doesn't show interest in what they do, you're usually not a good candidate. Moot Court depends on the office and if you're interested in Appeals. It's definitely NOT a prereq, but it's a nice thing to have for the main purpose of showing that you have public speaking skills. I can tell you that when it comes to actually doing the job, you'll find out both Mock and Moot are just edutainment, with Moot being the less valuable of the two.
Yes, I meant only that mock trial is more interesting than moot court - NOT that it (or either) are better than clinics, which I agree are most important.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Will having worked with immigrant DV/SA victims this summer be a red flag to PD offices?
Isn't victim work closer to the prosecution side than the defense side? Maybe not. Anyway, lawyers should recognize that lawyers are hired guns and don't necessarily espouse the cause of their clients. Unfortunately, a lot of lawyers don't seem to get this and think of themselves and other lawyers as activists. But what are you going to do? Just have good answer ready.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:02 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Rootbeer wrote:Clinics/Internships are the most important...Mock Trial is good, but not as good as real experience. Clinics/Internships far and away make you a more attractive candidate. If anything else in law school is prerequisite, it would be Trial Ad and Crim-related classes. They definitely don't expect you to be on Trial Team, but if your transcript/resume doesn't show interest in what they do, you're usually not a good candidate. Moot Court depends on the office and if you're interested in Appeals. It's definitely NOT a prereq, but it's a nice thing to have for the main purpose of showing that you have public speaking skills. I can tell you that when it comes to actually doing the job, you'll find out both Mock and Moot are just edutainment, with Moot being the less valuable of the two.
Yes, I meant only that mock trial is more interesting than moot court - NOT that it (or either) are better than clinics, which I agree are most important.
Great! I'm actually enrolled in a Juvenile Justice clinic for the fall semester, which I can continue into the spring.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:08 pm

Would Spanish fluency help my candidacy for DA/PD apps?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:15 pm

Rootbeer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Rootbeer...have the scoop on Philly DA and surrounding 'burbs?
What I will say about those is that it's mixed among the burbs. Grades/school do not matter a lick to Philly DA, though they may matter if you are looking to go to Appeals.
If they don't care, then why would they ask for transcripts? (read: http://www.phila.gov/districtattorney/c ... dents.html) To see that you have taken relevant coursework? (i.e. trial ad, evidence, crim pro, etc.)

Rootbeer

New

Post by Rootbeer » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:31 am

^--- Yes.

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:44 pm

Around here, Spanish fluency is helpful for Public Defender (State AND federal, btw) but it's REALLY a leg up for other types of indigent law such as immigration or legal aid. N. Mex. is practically a bi-lingual state, though, so our situation may be unique.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”