Which PI employers are less grades-conscious?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Which PI employers are less grades-conscious?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:09 pm

T30 rising 2L. Got medianpwned last semester, and grades dipped well below median this semester (personal issues, :sigh:). So, so depressed and consumed by this. :cry:

What can I do to overcome this? What sorts of opportunities have not shut their doors in my face yet? Zero interest in BigLaw here.

rad lulz

Re: Which PI employers are less grades-conscious?

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:55 pm

Public defender (if you consider that public interest)

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:12 pm

rad lulz wrote:Public defender (if you consider that public interest)

***Tries to get child molester out of jail

***Consider herself champion of public interest

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:T30 rising 2L. Got medianpwned last semester, and grades dipped well below median this semester (personal issues, :sigh:). So, so depressed and consumed by this. :cry:

What can I do to overcome this? What sorts of opportunities have not shut their doors in my face yet? Zero interest in BigLaw here.

Most don't care in my experience. Not sure if that would be the same coming from every school, but at a T10 they have never really asked except for 1) federal government work will almost always ask 2) above 50% of state governments will ask. I don't think the state gov jobs care all that much about grades though, from what they've said at panels and such, except for maybe the most prestigious stuff (State AG, Governor's Counsel, something like that).

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Public defender (if you consider that public interest)

***Tries to get child molester out of jail

***Consider herself champion of public interest

I know you're joking/trolling and now we're both derailing, but representing underserved criminal defendants of all stripes is definitely in the public interest, child molesters or not.

To OP, I'm not an expert on PI employment, but my understanding is that most PI employers are less grade sensitive than big law and federal government. There are probably big exceptions for super prestigious PI stuff. The problem is there aren't that many PI jobs and so they are competitive along different dimensions, like having a relevant, PI-ish resume and being a good interviewer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:02 pm

Thanks to those who responded.

In particular, I would like to go into Legal Aid, esp. immigration law (where I'm working this summer), family law, juvenile rights, etc.

Maybe I'm not so f*cked after all?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:14 pm

OP again. What fellowships, other than EJW, are known not to ask for transcripts?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks to those who responded.

In particular, I would like to go into Legal Aid, esp. immigration law (where I'm working this summer), family law, juvenile rights, etc.

Should be good bradda

seagan823

Postby seagan823 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:49 pm

I am interested in PI and I recently spoke with a girl who works at legal aid about the best ways to go about getting a job there. She said the absolute most important thing is experience and devotion to the cause. Do well this summer, make connections, and then try to do as much pro bono work as you can next semester. See if you can get internships at PD offices or legal aid/legal services offices. Look at EJW and see if one of the organizations you intern with will take you on with a fellowship. See if your university offers temporary funding to post law school grads to pursue PI work so that you can keep interning after law school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:04 pm

^Thanks, This is the silver lining. I did a bit of pro bono during 1L year, and plan to continue into 2L year. I also registered for a juvenile justice clinic, which I am totally stoked about. I soooooo hope I can overcome my less-than-stellar performance.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:06 pm

Kronk wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks to those who responded.

Should be good bradda

thanks, man. though my types of jobs aren't grades conscious in the way BigLaw, BigGov stuff is, they're so few and far between. still gotta hustle, baby! 8)

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:59 pm

Yeah, my impression is that immigration is very not grades-conscious. It's experience and dedication to the cause (and ideally bilingualism, though I'm sure that's not necessary).

Another

Postby Another » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:01 pm

Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:30 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Yeah, my impression is that immigration is very not grades-conscious. It's experience and dedication to the cause (and ideally bilingualism, though I'm sure that's not necessary).

I'm trilingual. :mrgreen: Hope that provides a boost to my employability.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:33 pm

hopkins23 wrote:Da office

DA Office will generally check grades; PD generally ngaf.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:33 pm

Depends on the office, right? I thought big city DA offices can be as prestige hungry as BigLaw? (Manhattan comes to mind)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:47 am

Is EOIR super grades conscious?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is EOIR super grades conscious?

I had no idea what this was from google it seems like it's within DOJ, which would be pretty prestigious.

I think what was said above is correct though. Not all PI stuff is grade conscious, but they are very selective in other ways. Such as how dedicated you are to ONE SPECIFIC CAUSE. I have done a lot of stuff that would probably make me a good juvenile justice type lawyer but I doubt I could ever get a job at a place like that despite good grades and good schooling because I haven't done shit with juveniles.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is EOIR super grades conscious?

I don't think so - at least, it appears to be less grades conscious than other DOJ Honors components. The emphasis is on experience with and dedication to immigration law (if you check out the DOJ Honors application thread, you'll see some discussion of people's stats). People tend to have done almost nothing but immigration work throughout law school (and frequently before).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:11 pm

Kronk wrote:

Wow. Surprising how prosecution cares about grades, but not PD. Too bad my pre-law school work as a DV advocate and my current internship helping immigrant victims of violent crimes (assisting clients with filing U-Visas and VAWA self-petitions) will be a black mark on my resume when applying to PD offices, lol.

Glad to hear that EOIR is not as grades-whoring as other DOJ branches. Have a lot of relevant experience in immigration.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:58 pm

Here in N.Mex., the state public defender department absolutely DOES care about grades. If you are not in the top third of your graduating class you might have to start out in one of the state's very rural offices. If you are in the bottom third, even those positions might not be available to you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:28 pm

How about local gov't (i.e. City of X Law Department)?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How about local gov't (i.e. City of X Law Department)?

Somewhat prestigious. I imagine they will ask for grades. Those are pretty much the best jobs on earth and no one ever leaves them so they are hyper competitive in anywhere that is nice to live.

Rootbeer

Postby Rootbeer » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:18 pm

Kronk wrote:

Not true concerning DA's Office's. They generally won't. If they do it's for what classes you took, not your GPA.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:21 pm

Again, here in N. Mex., city and county law offices generally do care about grades. The major cities, very much so, but the more rural cities, less so if they have in-house lawyers at all. Many do not, preferring to contract with a local private firm.

I do not mean to say that there's a cutoff for class rank. There isn't unless maybe you're talking about the bottom third and even then, relevant experience and local reputation can help a lot. But a new lawyer coming into the State won't have either experience or reputation to offset poor law school performance.

The other thing I'd like to stress is that there IS work here for new lawyers both in the public sector and in private practice. But without good credentials, you may have to accept work in some places that will remind you of a scene from "The Road Warrior" (only with Baptists).

EDIT: I kind of like it out there but most people can't wait to leave. Takes all kinds, I guess.
Last edited by BeautifulSW on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”