2013 Bay Area Diversity Fair

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Bay Area Diversity Fair

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:06 am

Put in 9 bids, got 4 pre-selects: LW, Cooley, Skadden and MTO LA. Don't even know why MTO is trolling me like this, around top 20% or so at Michigan (3.57ish), no Bay Area ties but ties to SoCal and a compelling reason for wanting to work in the Bay. No idea what MTO is even giving me hope for.

Anyone know if Fenwick/WSGR are up? Was really hoping to land those two.

Edit: Ah damn, see that WSGR is already up. Guess I'll be trying them at OCI.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Bay Area Diversity Fair

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Put in 9 bids, got 4 pre-selects: LW, Cooley, Skadden and MTO LA. Don't even know why MTO is trolling me like this, around top 20% or so at Michigan (3.57ish), no Bay Area ties but ties to SoCal and a compelling reason for wanting to work in the Bay. No idea what MTO is even giving me hope for.

Anyone know if Fenwick/WSGR are up? Was really hoping to land those two.

Edit: Ah damn, see that WSGR is already up. Guess I'll be trying them at OCI.

Nice! Sounds like focusing on a few firms paid off.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Bay Area Diversity Fair

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:51 am

I really want O'Melveny. Anyone heard back? top 10% at t14. Preselected for Skadden, Arnold and Porter, Bingham, Wilmerhale, and Orrick. Alternate for Munger and Pillsbury.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Bay Area Diversity Fair

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:I really want O'Melveny. Anyone heard back? top 10% at t14. Preselected for Skadden, Arnold and Porter, Bingham, Wilmerhale, and Orrick. Alternate for Munger and Pillsbury.


alternate from OMM.
Do you have other background? Seems like you're doing much better than most other people here.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Bay Area Diversity Fair

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:16 pm

Median at lower T-14, not a bay area native, but very strong ties, only 1 alternate.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Bay Area Diversity Fair

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I really want O'Melveny. Anyone heard back? top 10% at t14. Preselected for Skadden, Arnold and Porter, Bingham, Wilmerhale, and Orrick. Alternate for Munger and Pillsbury.


Preselected for O'Melveny. (11 pre-selects total + 2 alternates, top 10% at T6.)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Bay Area Diversity Fair

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I really want O'Melveny. Anyone heard back? top 10% at t14. Preselected for Skadden, Arnold and Porter, Bingham, Wilmerhale, and Orrick. Alternate for Munger and Pillsbury.


alternate from OMM.
Do you have other background? Seems like you're doing much better than most other people here.


I am older, 6 years between UG and Law, but not any impressive work experience. I am a URM and my spring quarter was 3.9999

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Bay Area Diversity Fair

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I really want O'Melveny. Anyone heard back? top 10% at t14. Preselected for Skadden, Arnold and Porter, Bingham, Wilmerhale, and Orrick. Alternate for Munger and Pillsbury.


Preselected for O'Melveny. (11 pre-selects total + 2 alternates, top 10% at T6.)

--ImageRemoved--

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Bay Area Diversity Fair

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:23 pm

Little late to be asking this but....

this was called a "diversity" fair for a reason, right? That is, as a white male with little distinguishing background I was correct in not participating?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Bay Area Diversity Fair

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Little late to be asking this but....

this was called a "diversity" fair for a reason, right? That is, as a white male with little distinguishing background I was correct in not participating?

I mean, you could have sent in bids, but it seems like most of the people who actually got bids were fairly diverse so you probably would have struck out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Bay Area Diversity Fair

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Little late to be asking this but....

this was called a "diversity" fair for a reason, right? That is, as a white male with little distinguishing background I was correct in not participating?

I mean, you could have sent in bids, but it seems like most of the people who actually got bids were fairly diverse so you probably would have struck out.

Agreed. Plus I feel like it's just sort of a slimy thing to do. :| Unless you were disadvantaged in some other way (ie socioeconomic reasons), being a white male and participating in a fair intended to up the diversity in a very non-diverse field just seems douchey.

But I know white dudes have bid on other diversity career fairs in the past and have cleaned up, so maybe interviewers don't care (or assume you're gay lol).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Bay Area Diversity Fair

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:4 preselects + 1 alternate. around top 30% at DCN, bay area native/very strong ties.

Can someone clarify how alternate sign-up would work? Thanks in advance!

On symplicity it says that alternate sign-up is between Jul 9th and Jul 15th. So I don't think you can sign up at the moment. I'm guessing after all the pre-select people confirm or deny their interviews the firms will throw out some more interviews at the alternates and you'll be able to sign up then.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Bay Area Diversity Fair

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:12 pm

Can anyone who got preselected speak to the "affinity group" they're repping?

White, LGBT student in top 5% at a T50 school back east. Bay Area native. Only one alternate from LW. A little freaked out.

Thanks so much in advance, and congrats to all with pre-selects.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Bay Area Diversity Fair

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:23 pm

hmm, got a preselect with Cooley that wasn't there this morning so it seems like some may still be going out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Bay Area Diversity Fair

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:23 pm

Can anyone who got preselected speak to the "affinity group" they're repping?

White, LGBT student in top 5% at a T50 school back east. Bay Area native. Only one alternate from LW. A little freaked out.

Thanks so much in advance, and congrats to all with pre-selects.


I got two pre-selects, above median at a t20. I'm half-black, half-Korean with a super generic last name. I wasn't a part of any minority groups on campus, and didn't talk about by race in any cover letter. I probably should have. I don't think listing an affinity group matters, I'm guessing they assume that by applying you're self identifying as a minority. If you are a straight, Caucasian, from average socio-economic standing--you probably shouldn't be applying here (though there are those who do).

I wouldn't be freaked out if I were you. California has so many schools in the t-50 that it's somewhat harder to get noticed at something like the diversity career fair, which is notoriously competitive. I think most people get zero pre-selects, and a very few get a ~10+. Your grades are great, and you should be able to kill it at your school's OCI.

How many bids did you submit?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Bay Area Diversity Fair

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Can anyone who got preselected speak to the "affinity group" they're repping?

White, LGBT student in top 5% at a T50 school back east. Bay Area native. Only one alternate from LW. A little freaked out.

Thanks so much in advance, and congrats to all with pre-selects.


I got two pre-selects, above median at a t20. I'm half-black, half-Korean with a super generic last name. I wasn't a part of any minority groups on campus, and didn't talk about by race in any cover letter. I probably should have. I don't think listing an affinity group matters, I'm guessing they assume that by applying you're self identifying as a minority. If you are a straight, Caucasian, from average socio-economic standing--you probably shouldn't be applying here (though there are those who do).

I wouldn't be freaked out if I were you. California has so many schools in the t-50 that it's somewhat harder to get noticed at something like the diversity career fair, which is notoriously competitive. I think most people get zero pre-selects, and a very few get a ~10+. Your grades are great, and you should be able to kill it at your school's OCI.

How many bids did you submit?

Not the same anon, but did you list your race on your symplicity profile? I'm pretty sure the firms get to see that.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Bay Area Diversity Fair

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Can anyone who got preselected speak to the "affinity group" they're repping?

White, LGBT student in top 5% at a T50 school back east. Bay Area native. Only one alternate from LW. A little freaked out.

Thanks so much in advance, and congrats to all with pre-selects.


I got two pre-selects, above median at a t20. I'm half-black, half-Korean with a super generic last name. I wasn't a part of any minority groups on campus, and didn't talk about by race in any cover letter. I probably should have. I don't think listing an affinity group matters, I'm guessing they assume that by applying you're self identifying as a minority. If you are a straight, Caucasian, from average socio-economic standing--you probably shouldn't be applying here (though there are those who do).

I wouldn't be freaked out if I were you. California has so many schools in the t-50 that it's somewhat harder to get noticed at something like the diversity career fair, which is notoriously competitive. I think most people get zero pre-selects, and a very few get a ~10+. Your grades are great, and you should be able to kill it at your school's OCI.

How many bids did you submit?

Not the same anon, but did you list your race on your symplicity profile? I'm pretty sure the firms get to see that.


Ah yes, I did. I just looked at it, apparently I only entered Asian. Oops!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Bay Area Diversity Fair

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:01 pm

think Hanson Bridgett just came out too

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Bay Area Diversity Fair

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:hmm, got a preselect with Cooley that wasn't there this morning so it seems like some may still be going out.


Got one of these as well - is Cooley really interviewing 51 at the fair?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Bay Area Diversity Fair

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:06 pm

I just got one for Bryan Cave that wasn't up this morning.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Bay Area Diversity Fair

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:07 pm

For those of you who just got new interviews - before you saw the preselect, did you see "not invited" under the Invitations column, or did you see something different?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Bay Area Diversity Fair

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those of you who just got new interviews - before you saw the preselect, did you see "not invited" under the Invitations column, or did you see something different?


Saw "not invited".

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Bay Area Diversity Fair

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For those of you who just got new interviews - before you saw the preselect, did you see "not invited" under the Invitations column, or did you see something different?


Saw "not invited".

+1

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Bay Area Diversity Fair

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For those of you who just got new interviews - before you saw the preselect, did you see "not invited" under the Invitations column, or did you see something different?


Saw "not invited".

Wow, Symplicity, way to give me false hope that some of my not inviteds will change into preselects. CURSE YOU.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273310
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2013 Bay Area Diversity Fair

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:13 pm

Is Fenwick one of the firms that hasn't finished yet? Or have people received Fenwick preselects?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.