2013 Bay Area Diversity Fair Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2013 Bay Area Diversity Fair

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:04 am

How does the alternate system work? It says "first come first serve." Does that mean you are not able to accept the alternates if, say, 5 people already accepted the remaining 5 slots?

northerrn

New

Post by northerrn » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:25 am

Are they going to post who your interviewers are for each firm? Or will it just be a surprise? I saw that the interviewer name was up for at least one firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:24 am

Can anyone who attended in the past speak to how it works out when there is only 5 minutes scheduled between some interviews? What if one interview runs over the time limit?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:33 am

no interviews from lottery and no interviews from alternates; my luck is the best...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:59 pm

northerrn wrote:Are they going to post who your interviewers are for each firm? Or will it just be a surprise? I saw that the interviewer name was up for at least one firm.
Out of 10 interviews, I have exactly 1 firm that has posted the name of the interviewers. I wouldn't hold your breath.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone who attended in the past speak to how it works out when there is only 5 minutes scheduled between some interviews? What if one interview runs over the time limit?
We will probably just need to get used to saying "So-So, I hate to cut our time short but I have to run to another interview. Thank you again so much for speaking with me"

Evaly

New

Post by Evaly » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone who attended in the past speak to how it works out when there is only 5 minutes scheduled between some interviews? What if one interview runs over the time limit?
I had a bunch of back to back interviews last year. In the morning people were pretty good at ending the interview on time but by the afternoon everyone was running late. I would arrive 3 minutes late to an interview only to find out the interviewer was running late by 10 minutes. I never bothered interrupting the conversation to say I have to go, especially if the conversation was flowing. There is just no subtle way to look at my watch / phone without being rude.

One tip, if the interviews are conducted at the same hotel in Chinatown, don't take the elevator between your interviews. It sucks to go up and down stairs in heels, for the ladies, but you will get there much quicker.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:20 pm

Evaly wrote:
I had a bunch of back to back interviews last year. In the morning people were pretty good at ending the interview on time but by the afternoon everyone was running late. I would arrive 3 minutes late to an interview only to find out the interviewer was running late by 10 minutes. I never bothered interrupting the conversation to say I have to go, especially if the conversation was flowing. There is just no subtle way to look at my watch / phone without being rude.

One tip, if the interviews are conducted at the same hotel in Chinatown, don't take the elevator between your interviews. It sucks to go up and down stairs in heels, for the ladies, but you will get there much quicker.
Mind if I bug you for numbers (interviews, CBs)? I've heard that BADCF isn't great in the numbers department, and I'm trying to determine whether that's true or not.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
northerrn wrote:Are they going to post who your interviewers are for each firm? Or will it just be a surprise? I saw that the interviewer name was up for at least one firm.
Out of 10 interviews, I have exactly 1 firm that has posted the name of the interviewers. I wouldn't hold your breath.
I've been told that some names are listed week/few days before the fair. I think final interview schedules are out next week, so might be a few more then.

Does anyone know when callbacks interviews usually happen? Not trying to get ahead of myself, but I go to an out-of-state school and was considering traveling to another market for meetings/informational interviews in early August, before my school's OCI. Are these interviews usually after OCI? Right after the fair? During OCI (I really hope not...)?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Evaly

New

Post by Evaly » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mind if I bug you for numbers (interviews, CBs)? I've heard that BADCF isn't great in the numbers department, and I'm trying to determine whether that's true or not.
That was a rumor I heard last year as well. I had 10 interviews and 6 CBs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:45 pm

Evaly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Wow. That's awesome. Hopefully I can channel whatever energy you were working with that day. I'm slightly terrified by the thought of 10 screeners in a day. But I will think of your success story. Did you end up turning any of those into your current job? Or did you end up getting that at OCI?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:42 am

Evaly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That's amazing!

Any suggestions on how to stay fresh/energized throughout the day? Especially for back-to-back interviews?

Most of my interviews are clustered and while I'm mentally preparing myself for a long day, wanted to see if you had any tips on how to "refresh" before each interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Evaly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That's amazing!

Any suggestions on how to stay fresh/energized throughout the day? Especially for back-to-back interviews?

Most of my interviews are clustered and while I'm mentally preparing myself for a long day, wanted to see if you had any tips on how to "refresh" before each interview.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Evaly

New

Post by Evaly » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Wow. That's awesome. Hopefully I can channel whatever energy you were working with that day. I'm slightly terrified by the thought of 10 screeners in a day. But I will think of your success story. Did you end up turning any of those into your current job? Or did you end up getting that at OCI?
Good luck, I am sure you will do very well.

Evaly

New

Post by Evaly » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote: That's amazing!

You will be on auto pilot after the third one and you won't feel tired. I did print out little pieces of paper with the firm name and info and I tried to read it before going into a new interview. Mostly so I wouldn't accidently say the wrong firm name. But if you suddenly forget, just say "your firm" the whole time and they'll never realize you've forgotten. :D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Anyone mind sharing in what ways they're "diverse"? I'm not all that diverse and my stats are unimpressive so I'm grateful to go just for the two interviews I have (1 preselect, 1 lottery).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone mind sharing in what ways they're "diverse"? I'm not all that diverse and my stats are unimpressive so I'm grateful to go just for the two interviews I have (1 preselect, 1 lottery).
Asian female.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:52 pm

a firm i bid on but didn't get preselected for just emailed me asking to apply on their website and self-identify. the position i'm supposed to apply for on their site specifically says "bay area career fair". does this mean they just want my application as if i were mass mailing them, or that i can likely get an interview out of it while at BADCF? anyone else get one of these emails, and are they meaningful? do all bidders that are not preselected get one?

i'm definitely going to apply per their request, but just wondering how good of a sign this might be.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:00 pm

a firm i bid on but didn't get preselected for just emailed me asking to apply on their website and self-identify. the position i'm supposed to apply for on their site specifically says "bay area career fair". does this mean they just want my application as if i were mass mailing them, or that i can likely get an interview out of it while at BADCF? anyone else get one of these emails, and are they meaningful? do all bidders that are not preselected get one?

i'm definitely going to apply per their request, but just wondering how good of a sign this might be.
I got the same message about an hour after I got the same message from the same firm but for my OCI. I think they were just blast emailing everyone who bid on them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:30 pm

Just got scheduled a last minute alternate interview.
I want to interview with the firm at my school's OCI. Can I cancel the interview at BADF?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got scheduled a last minute alternate interview.
I want to interview with the firm at my school's OCI. Can I cancel the interview at BADF?
Why wait until your schools OCI when you could do your screener/CB/maybe get an offer before OCI even rolls around?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:42 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:39 pm

I'm in the same situation. Just got an interview with an alternate, but I already have an interview scheduled with this firm through my schools OCI (pure lottery system). If I take this interview during BADCF am I obligated to cancel the OCI one? Also my school says that you can't cancel OCI interviews but I'm not sure how strict they are about enforcing this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I'm in the same situation. Just got an interview with an alternate, but I already have an interview scheduled with this firm through my schools OCI (pure lottery system). If I take this interview during BADCF am I obligated to cancel the OCI one? Also my school says that you can't cancel OCI interviews but I'm not sure how strict they are about enforcing this.
Reach out to the recruiter at the firm you're interviewing with. Most likely the firm will ask you to drop one of them (and they will tell you which one to drop).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:48 am

Does anyone know what the panel from 8:30 to 10 is all about? Also, is lunch break like a place we can network or is it just a period of downtime from interviews?

I only have interviews in the afternoon, so just trying to figure out if I should show up before then.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”