Accidently Got a Policy 1L Internship. How to Swing It?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Accidently Got a Policy 1L Internship. How to Swing It?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:10 pm

PLEASE DON'T QUOTE AS I'M GOING TO DELETE THIS.

So, my summer internship is with a really great federal agency (part of the Executive Office of the President). However, I've started to realize that, even though this was billed to me as a "legal internship" I won't be doing anything with WestLaw or LexisNexis. I also won't be drafting any legal documents (memos, etc.)

However, I will be looking at legal agreements between contracting parties and I'll be conducting research to see if parties are in compliance with the terms of the agreements. Although I won't be writing full legal momorandum by myself, I will be checking legal documents between contracting parties (although it's mostly grammar checking until I become more familiar with the relevant law).

My question is, how disadvantaged will I be in not getting much WestLaw/LexisNexis/Legal document writing? Will this internship still appeal to legal employers?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

KD35

Re: Accidently Got a Policy IL Internship. How to Swing It?

Postby KD35 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:15 pm

My (uneducated) response would be that you'll be fine, so long as you can swing this internship in your resume/2L OCI as legal-based. Yea there could in theory be better internships, you're still working in a legal field/environment. That's all that you should really care about for your 1L summer work.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:16 pm

Do you want biglaw? If so, no one cares what you did your 1L summer as long as it is legal. And your thing is legal. Just have a narrative for what you did and a few fun anecdotes.

Also, using westlaw/lexis =/= practicing law. Not all lawyers do legal research and draft briefs all day.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:59 am

Thanks for the replies. Okay, that's great to hear. I was worried that not using Westlaw/Lexis Nexis or doing tons of my own legal writing would hurt me. It's definitely related to a lot of legal work though, so it's good to know it doesn't come off like I'm doing work that's completely worthless.

Bronte

Re: Accidently Got a Policy 1L Internship. How to Swing It?

Postby Bronte » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:45 pm

You're fine. It's nice to have a brief or memo to use as a writing sample, but in practice they're of little importance. A lot of firms don't ask for them and even fewer read them. Using something from your legal writing course is fine.

treeey86

Postby treeey86 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:01 pm

you are reviewing legal documents for legal compliance = legal.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:41 pm

good lord

this is 10000000000% better and more interesting to me, as an interviewer, than "research and writing for the law offices of john q. podunk"

Return to “Legal Employment”