T30 2L, Below Median, Public Interest Gunner--Options?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

T30 2L, Below Median, Public Interest Gunner--Options?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:31 pm

Didn't do so hot 1L year...don't want to go into details, but with personal tragedies getting in the way, my transcript is a veritable roller-coaster, with grades ranging from the A to C range. Attend a strong regional T30 in the northeast and desire to target my home market. Not at all entertaining dropping out--despite the hurdles, I have enjoyed the study and practice of law and find my summer internship incredibly fascinating and fulfilling. Also, my debt will be pretty manageable, with a merit scholly from my school, an outside scholarship, and folks helping out with living expenses.

Zero interest in BigLaw. I have 2 years of PI WE and tons of pro bono/volunteering stuff on my resume, so I definitely can show solid commitment to public service, though I'm not sure how much that would compensate for a spotty transcript--at least for employers that ask for transcripts. I hear that many PI employers are not so obsessed with grades as firms? Interested in EJW (and other post-grad Legal Aid fellowships), PMF, prosecution, local gov't, etc.

What options are available for this below-median, journal-less T30 kid? How to overcome my mediocre 1L performance? I will be doing a clinic next year, which I'm told should help.

Peg

Re: T30 2L, Below Median, Public Interest Gunner--Options?

Postby Peg » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:06 pm

Have you tried contacting alumni from your school?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:27 pm

^Yeah, actually got my current gig thru an alumna. I've been in contact with the leadership of my school's alumni chapter in my home city and have cold-emailed grads practicing in agencies that interest me. In other words, everyday I'm hustlin'. :D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:10 pm

Bump. Any other perspectives?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:12 pm

There aren't a lot of PI jobs to be had, with any set of grades, from any school. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've heard of anyone having more than one PI job to choose from for about 3 years. If I were in your shoes, I would be working whatever connections I had from before law school. Hard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:19 pm

IAFG wrote:There aren't a lot of PI jobs to be had, with any set of grades, from any school. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've heard of anyone having more than one PI job to choose from for about 3 years. If I were in your shoes, I would be working whatever connections I had from before law school. Hard.

I was a DV advocate before law school and the agency has a legal dep't so I have good connections there. Have a couple of attorneys in my extended family, though they don't practice in areas that particularly fascinate me.

Return to “Legal Employment”