Canadian and American Dual JD Southern California Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
pua

New

Canadian and American Dual JD Southern California

Post by pua » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:23 pm

Hi there,
I am a Canadian entering the Dual JD program offered through the University of Windsor and University of Detroit Mercy (tier 4 law school). I was wondering if law students/lawyers from Southern California could could comment on how this program is perceived in your area. In Canada, we do not have a Tier system with our law schools and graduates are judged primarily according to their class rank. This program focuses on corporate, commercial and trade law between the U.S. and Canada.

I e-mailed a few large firms in the Southern California area and they all replied that having 2 degrees would be an asset and that they look at applicants in a holistic sense etc... However, I wanted to get a better idea of the subjective opinion of the TLS law school community. I have family in California and want to move there and this program is convenient for me.

http://www1.uwindsor.ca/dualjd/

lolwat

Silver

Re: Canadian and American Dual JD Southern California

Post by lolwat » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:31 pm

No personal (or second hand experience) but I just can't see it getting you anywhere in CA.

Or even really anywhere in the US, maybe some NYC firms that have Canadian offices might appreciate it. Tier 4 schools have shit for employment stats and the dual degree only helps you if the firm you're going to can take advantage of it.

And maybe you don't have a tier system, but don't you still have a prestige factor where, for example, UT is likely accepted as being the best law school in the country?

Joe Quincy

Bronze

Post by Joe Quincy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:34 pm

LOL no. UDM can barely place its grads in Detroit. No way will it get you a job in Southern California. Even with the addition of being barred in Canada. The whole reason they offer this is to try (desperately) to get their grads cross-border work in Detroit/Windsor.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:09 pm

pua wrote:Hi there,
I am a Canadian entering the Dual JD program offered through the University of Windsor and University of Detroit Mercy (tier 4 law school). I was wondering if law students/lawyers from Southern California could could comment on how this program is perceived in your area. In Canada, we do not have a Tier system with our law schools and graduates are judged primarily according to their class rank. This program focuses on corporate, commercial and trade law between the U.S. and Canada.

I e-mailed a few large firms in the Southern California area and they all replied that having 2 degrees would be an asset and that they look at applicants in a holistic sense etc... However, I wanted to get a better idea of the subjective opinion of the TLS law school community. I have family in California and want to move there and this program is convenient for me.

http://www1.uwindsor.ca/dualjd/
Are you paying US tuition (40+k) for 3 years? If you're interested in dual degree and want better chances in CA, consider Arizona State University. The dean is a U of T grad, and the school recently started a "North American JD" program that will enable you to practice in Canada with little hassle.
http://law.asu.edu/admissions/Admission ... egree.aspx

pua

New

Post by pua » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Are you paying US tuition (40+k) for 3 years? If you're interested in dual degree and want better chances in CA, consider Arizona State University. The dean is a U of T grad, and the school recently started a "North American JD" program that will enable you to practice in Canada with little hassle.
Yes, I will be paying about 40K. $15,000 for Windsor and $25,000 for UDM per year. The Windsor portion will be covered by OSAP (Ontario Student Assistance Program) where I get $13,500 per year and only have to pay back $7,500 per year. For UDM, I will get at least $9,000 in bursaries per year. Plus, Windsor is a very cheep and safe city to live in. In this sense, this degree seems somewhat better in terms of financing then the Arizona State University and I get to stay close to my family here in Toronto.

I am very curious why Arizona State has created a Canadian program. I would have thought that the Canadian law degree loses value as you head further south of the border.

As for Canadian prestige, it generally goes like this:

1. University of Toronto

2. University of British Columbia (West Coast) / Osgoode Hall (East Coast) / McGill (French)

3. All other Canadian law schools

But the prestige factor is emphasized by undergrads. Firms hire deeper into the classes of UofT, UBC, McGill and Osgoode but grades are far more important than anything else.

The information I heard so far is great:). I am deciding between this program and another Canadian law school which will cost me about $75,000 less overall. I don't need an American law degree to sit for the California Bar. A Canadian law degree is my first priority and I'm guessing the additional UDM law degree doesn't justify the cost.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:23 pm

pua wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Are you paying US tuition (40+k) for 3 years? If you're interested in dual degree and want better chances in CA, consider Arizona State University. The dean is a U of T grad, and the school recently started a "North American JD" program that will enable you to practice in Canada with little hassle.
Yes, I will be paying about 40K. $15,000 for Windsor and $25,000 for UDM per year. The Windsor portion will be covered by OSAP (Ontario Student Assistance Program) where I get $13,500 per year and only have to pay back $7,500 per year. For UDM, I will get at least $9,000 in bursaries per year. Plus, Windsor is a very cheep and safe city to live in. In this sense, this degree seems somewhat better in terms of financing then the Arizona State University and I get to stay close to my family here in Toronto.

I am very curious why Arizona State has created a Canadian program. I would have thought that the Canadian law degree loses value as you head further south of the border.

As for Canadian prestige, it generally goes like this:

1. University of Toronto

2. University of British Columbia (West Coast) / Osgoode Hall (East Coast) / McGill (French)

3. All other Canadian law schools

But the prestige factor is emphasized by undergrads. Firms hire deeper into the classes of UofT, UBC, McGill and Osgoode but grades are far more important than anything else.

The information I heard so far is great:). I am deciding between this program and another Canadian law school which will cost me about $75,000 less overall. I don't need an American law degree to sit for the California Bar. A Canadian law degree is my first priority and I'm guessing the additional UDM law degree doesn't justify the cost.
Mercer poor employment stats vs. ASU. http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=detroit-mercy
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=asu

ASU places much better in CA.

Also, you can go to any US school and called to the bar in Canada. Need to jump through some hoops (online courses, exams) but only slightly more hassle than writing two state bar exams.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:09 am

fellow canadian going to law school in the US here:

you are better off finding a job in Canada than in the US. American law schools produce too many grads with not enough jobs. I go to a t-14 and many of my classmates still have no jobs.

if you really want to work in the US, try the seven sister firms' ny offices.

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:56 am

I know nothing about the degree, but the other poster stated ASU has North American JD program, not a Canadian JD program. I suspect there is as much or more emphasis on legal issues in and regarding Mexico as there is regarding Canada.

Also, it sounds like the California firms gave you polite and reasonable theoretical answered. However, as others have stated, chances of breaking into CA ay graduation out of Detroit are virtually non existent. A lateral move, again in theory, might be possible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:13 am

It's Canada/US. There's no mention of Mex. Click on the link.
CO2016YEAH wrote:I know nothing about the degree, but the other poster stated ASU has North American JD program, not a Canadian JD program. I suspect there is as much or more emphasis on legal issues in and regarding Mexico as there is regarding Canada.

Also, it sounds like the California firms gave you polite and reasonable theoretical answered. However, as others have stated, chances of breaking into CA ay graduation out of Detroit are virtually non existent. A lateral move, again in theory, might be possible.

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:28 am

If you want to work as an attorney in California, you should attend a top 10 school like Harvard, Stanford or Berkeley. The lowest ranked law school you should consider is Ucla or USC.

You will not be doing any transnational trade deals with a Detroit Mercy JD. You can move to CA and try your hand at some form of shit law like foreclosure defense with a degree like that. But expect a rocky and poorly paid existence.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”