Help! Google search yields unsavory news articles about me

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Help! Google search yields unsavory news articles about me

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:41 am

I am concerned about some news articles which appear after googling my full name and my hometown. I have a strong desire to return back to my hometown to practice, but have a feeling I may have missed out on some job opportunities because of these search results.

I was NOT arrested or charged with a crime. The headlines of the news stories are somewhat upsetting and the event itself is very tragic. The news reports never follow up on what ultimately happened, and it really paints me in a poor light. The news sites have thankfully taken down the comments that users posted, but these stories are still up. The event took place roughly 3 years ago, I had no problems with my early bar application, and I do not have a record of any kind.

What can I do? Its literally the first page of links that pop up when searching my name and hometown.

IFoughtTheLaw

Re: Help! Google search yields unsavory news articles about me

Postby IFoughtTheLaw » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:27 am

Without more detail on what kind of news, I would suggest having an active and professional online presence that pushes these results to the second or third page of results. Like a blog, twitter, or even a personal pinterest, fb, linkedin, etc.

Green Crayons

Postby Green Crayons » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:35 am

Try out this new application called Faceblock. It's the next big thing!

What the above poster said. Without more information, your best bet is to try to drown it out with an active online presence.

Ness Lee

Postby Ness Lee » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:40 pm

Blog, linked in. That sucks, though. Maybe you could ask the newspaper to write an update or take it down? I'm not sure.

Return to “Legal Employment”