Interview delay

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Interview delay

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:21 pm

I had an interview with a small/mid firm two weeks ago, but their HR delayed it two weeks saying theyre busy. But, yesterday they delayed again by two weeks. Whats going on?

rad lulz

Re: Interview delay

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had an interview with a small/mid firm two weeks ago, but their HR delayed it two weeks saying theyre busy. But, yesterday they delayed again by two weeks. Whats going on?

Maybe they're busy

Myself

Postby Myself » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:27 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:06 pm

It's full-time. I find it really inappropriate for them to constantly delay like this. I'm worried they're just trying to avoid me or don't care enough to hire me?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:13 pm

They have a lot more things going on than hiring you, so it's probably just fires popping up that need to get put out. If it's a small firm, just one or two people being busy could delay stuff. People may be traveling, that kind of thing. A friend of mine had her interview with a firm postponed 3 times because the partner she needed to meet kept getting called out of town. She got the job in the end. (It took like, seriously, probably 6-7 months of contacts and follow-through, but she got it.)

I mean, if they really didn't want to hire you, they could either 1) cancel the interview, or 2) have you come in and do a quick pro forma interview and reject you as quickly as possible. But people are too busy to waste time interviewing people they know they're not going to hire.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:04 pm

(It took like, seriously, probably 6-7 months of contacts and follow-through, but she got it.)

How does this work, just call up every couple weeks to check in or something? o_o

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:59 pm

lolwat wrote:
(It took like, seriously, probably 6-7 months of contacts and follow-through, but she got it.)

How does this work, just call up every couple weeks to check in or something? o_o

More like every 3-6 weeks, maybe? But that was pretty much it. I think she seriously first made contact with them in February and got the job in August. (I think it was: met someone for coffee; got invited to interview; met everyone but Big Partner; was scheduled to meet Big Partner; Big Partner had to reschedule 3 times; they said they loved her but there were people from other offices who maybe wanted to transfer in and they had to work through that first; and then she kept checking back checking back checking back checking back and JOB.) I would never have had as much persistence as she did and, honestly, thought she was overdoing it and needed to let go gracefully. Shows what I know.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:20 am

More like every 3-6 weeks, maybe? But that was pretty much it. I think she seriously first made contact with them in February and got the job in August. (I think it was: met someone for coffee; got invited to interview; met everyone but Big Partner; was scheduled to meet Big Partner; Big Partner had to reschedule 3 times; they said they loved her but there were people from other offices who maybe wanted to transfer in and they had to work through that first; and then she kept checking back checking back checking back checking back and JOB.) I would never have had as much persistence as she did and, honestly, thought she was overdoing it and needed to let go gracefully. Shows what I know.

Lol wow. Yeah, I've given up on firms before after checking back a couple of times, and then just never hearing from them again after that. Mistake, apparently. I mean, I've been getting the advice that being pushy works. In this case, appears very true.

I had an interview about a week and a half ago, don't want to follow up on it too early, but ...

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:28 am

lolwat wrote:

Lol wow. Yeah, I've given up on firms before after checking back a couple of times, and then just never hearing from them again after that. Mistake, apparently. I mean, I've been getting the advice that being pushy works. In this case, appears very true.

I had an interview about a week and a half ago, don't want to follow up on it too early, but ...

Yeah, it's tough. Like I said, I don't think I'd have pursued it nearly as long as she did (and am still not sure I'd be able to make myself do so), but apparently it works. I have another friend whose experience was fairly similar, just a little more condensed. I should probably add that for both, the whole process took place during clerkships, so firms knew from the start that my friends weren't going to be free to start work till the end of August anyway, so no real rush on their end.

Personally, I'd wait at least 2 weeks to follow up? But I have very little experience with firm interviews. FWIW, my friends seemed to check in every 3 weeks-ish.

Ness Lee

Postby Ness Lee » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:33 pm

I wouldn't worry too much.

Return to “Legal Employment”