New firm asking for professional referrals from current firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

New firm asking for professional referrals from current firm

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:01 pm

Just got offered a new job (which I am super excited to take) and am going through the preliminary stuff (background check, conflicts check, etc.). Was also told that they wanted a professional reference from my current firm (someone who has supervised my work).

Am I being paranoid or is it reasonable to think that after I give notice, a supervisor at my current firm may not be giving the most favorable reference? Obviously if there was someone I knew would give a great reference I would use them but here I only have one option. Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? How much weight will my new firm give these references after I already have a job offer? Why do they take these and would they really pull an offer based on something like this? I'm not actually worried about a bad review, as my reviews have all been good/great, but the possibility of a less than excited reference scares me. Thanks in advance if anyone has experience with this narrow question!

kalvano

Re: New firm asking for professional referrals from current firm

Postby kalvano » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:03 pm

Most places won't do much of anything except confirm employment.

Lateral2013

Re: New firm asking for professional referrals from current firm

Postby Lateral2013 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:41 pm

kalvano wrote:Most places won't do much of anything except confirm employment.

Not true for people you affirmatively give as a reference. Then they can talk about your work etc. When you give notice, do it professionally and ask them at that time if they would feel comfortable giving you a reference. Assuming they say yes, then go with it. Associates come and go all the time, as long as you aren't a jerk about leaving, no partner is going to ruin your career over a lateral move.

Return to “Legal Employment”