Broken leg and interviews

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Broken leg and interviews

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:04 pm

I have an interview with a mid size firm in NYC. Just broke leg and am in a cast and crutches. Just curious if anyone has had experience interviewing like this and if you think it'll negatively impact my chances.
Thanks

RodneyRuxin

Re: Broken leg and interviews

Postby RodneyRuxin » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:10 pm

I'm a little worried that you won't be able to wear a suit over this (depending on which leg bone is broken), so let us know if that's the case.

Other than that, be ready for lots of talk about "how you broke it" and be able to talk about whatever story there is with a smile. This is a pretty good indication for the firm to figure out how you deal with bad news. If your last weekend at the firm sucked, they don't want you going around telling everyone how much it sucked. Show them you can handle rough times without putting your problems off on someone else.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:10 pm

How did you break it? If you have a cool story and are confident, use it to your advantage. Everybody will remember the crippled dood/chick. Leave them with a good impression and they won't forget about you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:23 pm

I was recovering from surgery and was in crutches for an interview. It made no difference. Got a government 1L internship that was hard to get. My boss who interviewed me later forgot I was even in crutches.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:17 am

You have to make it up with your personality. I do think it has a slight negative effect; everything that makes people curious, but cannot ask about it, can have a negative effect. Just my personal opinion.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:49 am

Tom Joad wrote:How did you break it? If you have a cool story and are confident, use it to your advantage. Everybody will remember the crippled dood/chick. Leave them with a good impression and they won't forget about you.

And if you don't... you know, pretend like you do

I had a bum knee for an internship in college, and it really made me stand out among partners/etc which I think was advantageous

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:17 am

Pokemon wrote:You have to make it up with your personality. I do think it has a slight negative effect; everything that makes people curious, but cannot ask about it, can have a negative effect. Just my personal opinion.

People will ask about crutches and a cast. It's not that sensitive. Overall, I think this will be no problem for OP. Something to talk about.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:17 am

I'd agree - no real impact. If anything, perhaps a slight positive for sympathy. If I were interviewing you, I'd think, "damn, that sucks," and then like you for toughing it out.

y2zipper

Postby y2zipper » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:45 pm

Tell them you broke it wrestling a shark or something.

Just tell your story and embrace the fact that your leg is broken and it's an advantage.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:57 pm

I interviewed while on crutches for a torn ACL. Didn't make a difference and it was always a good conversation starter. I would recommend letting whoever is organizing the interview know in advance -- that way they can accommodate you and not make you crutch a long distance.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:42 pm

OP- not such an exciting story. Playing sports. Although in gonna try and take a team player angle. Just hope they don't get a negative first impression. Thanks for the responses

Return to “Legal Employment”