Writing Sample for EIP?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lubberlubber

Writing Sample for EIP?

Postby Lubberlubber » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:00 am

Does anyone know anything about this? I've heard that you were supposed to bring a writing sample (that you created during your 1L summer) to the interviews and they ask you about it, and/or that they request to see it before EIP. However, my school has a lottery system and it seems implausible that they can skim your 20-page memo during the interview time, and then ask you intelligent questions about it.

Do I need to come out of my 1L summer job with any kind of deliverables at all? Will employers care about concrete products, or will they just ask me generally what I did for the summer?

Thanks.

CG614

Re: Writing Sample for EIP?

Postby CG614 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:34 am

You need to have one prepared and printed in case they ask for it. I only had one firm ask me for my writing sample (Akin Gump). But some firms do ask for it.

aces

Postby aces » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:06 am

1) Very few firms require a writing sample. Looking back at my notes, only White & Case required a writing sample of the largish New York firms (some regional firms do as well-- for instance, Choate Hall & Stewart and Holland & Knight of Boston both asked for one).

2) Even of the firms that asked for one, none required it in advance. At least through EIP, you'll be handing your writing sample to your interviewer at the beginning of the interview and they won't look at it at all prior to the interview or ask you about it during your interview. One caveat: this may be different for mass mail interviews where they receive all your materials ahead of time, but generally during all-lottery EIP the only items they see before the interview is your resume.

3) You should still bring extra copies of a writing sample-- there's a small change some firms may ask for it without noting that they want one on Symplicity.

4) You do not have have to use a writing sample you created during 1L summer. I used (part of) the brief I wrote in LRW and received offers from firms that asked for a writing sample. You do need to be able to talk about your 1L summer intelligently, but a writing sample certainly isn't required.

Lubberlubber

Postby Lubberlubber » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:15 am

Thank you very much for being helpful.

I'm currently interning in the legal department of a large NGO. I'm working on a number of things, but none are the traditional substantial memo/contract/"deliverable". Should I speak to my supervisor and try to get an assignment where I produce a written product? The place is very informal and everyone is very nice, so it wouldn't be a faux pas to make such a request.

As for the product itself, whether it's produced during 1L summer or during LRW, should I get a professor or friends to read over it and suggest changes, or turn it in as is? I remember my LRW professor telling us that she would be happy to give us pointers on how to improve our briefs post-grades so we can use them as writing samples. Is the same kind of editing recommended for work product produced over the summer?

Return to “Legal Employment”