Leaving Law Before you Start (or shortly after)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Leaving Law Before you Start (or shortly after)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:08 am

I had a previous career before I started law school in biotech. I just graduated and I have a clerkship lined up for after the bar but it pays less than I made before I went to law school.

I just applied to a job related to biotech that I would consider a "JD advantage" position, but its not "JD required." There are still a lot of ifs here, but I am debating whether if I were this offered position and if the salary was right if I would take it.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Has anyone not practice and gone straight into another field after law school or left practicing the law shortly after law school? Have you been satisfied with your decision or regretted it and why?

thesealocust

Re: Leaving Law Before you Start (or shortly after)

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:44 am

Why on earth would you abandon profession that constantly tops the U.S. News & World Report depression, substance abuse, and stress rankings?

WHY WOULD YOU NOT WANT THIS??????

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:I had a previous career before I started law school in biotech. I just graduated and I have a clerkship lined up for after the bar but it pays less than I made before I went to law school.

I just applied to a job related to biotech that I would consider a "JD advantage" position, but its not "JD required." There are still a lot of ifs here, but I am debating whether if I were this offered position and if the salary was right if I would take it.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Has anyone not practice and gone straight into another field after law school or left practicing the law shortly after law school? Have you been satisfied with your decision or regretted it and why?

If you don't want to practice law, get out now. I don't know anyone who has quit practice, but I know plenty of people who wish they had done something else.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:42 pm

I guess my question is more economic in nature. I have had several internships in law school and while there are some things about practicing law I do not like, I feel I could be relatively ok with practicing law.

I always thought I would try practicing for 5 to 10 years in an area like FDA, IP, or transactional law and then possibly look to transition into another role, such as a more business related position in biotech. Would I be better off salary wise gaining some experience practicing law before transitioning or just going straight to the business world now?

Also, I have come across several exlawyers who now are in nonlawyer roles. How feasible is it to transition from a the law to business in an area like biotech?

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:20 pm

Is your questions whether you should voluntarily quit clerkship and start this new job? Might want to think about not burning bridges in your young career. If your company ends up in that judge's courtroom, you could get shamed. Or something like that. If you had good credentials before law school doing this bio-tech work, couldn't you get a similar job a year from now after the clerkship?

Sideways

Postby Sideways » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:14 pm

desertlaw wrote:Is your questions whether you should voluntarily quit clerkship and start this new job? Might want to think about not burning bridges in your young career. If your company ends up in that judge's courtroom, you could get shamed. Or something like that. If you had good credentials before law school doing this bio-tech work, couldn't you get a similar job a year from now after the clerkship?

I wouldn't worry about burning bridges if you have a sure thing lined up. The chances of you personally ending up in that courtroom are nil, especially in a business related position. If your company ends up there... well who cares.

Grazzhoppa

Postby Grazzhoppa » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:43 pm

you dont do clerkships for the money. its just a year right? after that you could possibly do biglaw or go back to your biotech job.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:56 pm

Grazzhoppa wrote:you dont do clerkships for the money. its just a year right? after that you could possibly do biglaw or go back to your biotech job.

Yes, this. OP many firms give clerkship bonuses.

I don't know anything about biotech industry. I think you need to find more senior people with industry experience.

Return to “Legal Employment”