NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
If I haven't gotten a ding email from Katten yet, does that mean I might still be in the running?
Just got a Katten email ding fyi, so they are still sending them. They might still be giving cbs too though, you're still in the running until you're not.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Haha, 5 dings over here, at least they just crush your hope quickly as opposed to letting it die quietly (looking at you Kirkland).
Don't worry, you'll get the email with a ding letter attached as a PDF, soon enough.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:34 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Haha, 5 dings over here, at least they just crush your hope quickly as opposed to letting it die quietly (looking at you Kirkland).
Don't worry, you'll get the email with a ding letter attached as a PDF, soon enough.
Schiff's version of this is my favorite so far. E-mail read: "Your attention is invited to the attached letter." no greeting, no signature.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:41 pm

Latham snail mail ding today. Last paragraph says that they hope I do not stop pursuing them and that a lot of 3Ls get jobs with them. Buuuuut they kind of came off as the world's largest fraternity during my screener, soooo....this is goodbye, Latham. Later, BRO!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Last paragraph says that they hope I do not stop pursuing them
This is pretty common for form rejection letters.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:16 pm

We don't want you, but we hope you still want us!

Just lol.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:18 pm

Cooley colorado/norcal ding via email

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:18 pm

Cravath CB by phone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:55 pm

5 dings here today too; still hoping for Kirkland.

And if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go check the mail for my Latham ding.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:02 pm

Perkins Coie Chicago ding via e-mail 2 minutes ago.

Edit: They sent the ding e-mail TWICE within a span of just two minutes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Perkins Coie Chicago ding via e-mail 2 minutes ago.

Edit: They sent the ding e-mail TWICE within a span of just two minutes.
Mayer Brown did this to me. Thought it was a nice touch. You know, just in case I thought the first one was a mistake.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:58 pm

DPW ny ding email LL.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:41 pm

Weil ding via email.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:14 am

MoFo, Asian office, CB

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:MoFo, Asian office, CB
Nice! Will your CB be by phone?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:51 am

DLA (Chi) CB by phone

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Weil ding via email.
Interviewer initials?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:06 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anybody else having a rough time out there? Top 25% targeting a couple major markets and I have 4-5 CBs out of roughly 17-20 interviews so far (virtually all interviews were at least 48 hours ago and most were in the first week). Did a ton of mocks with career services/alumni and got good reviews (my main mistake in a couple mocks was apparently making comments that could be taken as political which I've definitely stayed away from so far in the actual screeners). But people generally said I was appropriately serious but also personable. I have a targeted practice area and a pitch that basically describes how my life story/work experience have led me to want that area although I'm not targeting a specific practice group yet. Also thought I had an appropriate number of safeties (or as close as you can really get to a safety, basically a bunch of firms with decent class sizes that are below V30 and V50). So I'm not sure if I'm just screwing up interviews, grades/work experience aren't good enough, or if something else is going wrong. Or if this is just normal?
1) 5 is good.

2) V30-50 aren't "safeties". First of all, there is no such thing. A firm who isn't grade selective, isn't going to wet themselves at the thought of your 3.65 GPA. Second, your GPA range is about right on track for V30-50.

3) There is a definite drop off after top 15-20%, and you are on the wrong side of it. Your grades alone are not getting you callbacks at a 3.65gpa.

4) Check your assburgers if you didn't think about how this would upset people who don't have any CB's yet.
If I'm top 15-20% and have 0 CBs and 5 dings out of 17 interviews ... does this mean that I did seriously screw it up?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:07 pm

Paul Weiss CB

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anybody else having a rough time out there? Top 25% targeting a couple major markets and I have 4-5 CBs out of roughly 17-20 interviews so far (virtually all interviews were at least 48 hours ago and most were in the first week). Did a ton of mocks with career services/alumni and got good reviews (my main mistake in a couple mocks was apparently making comments that could be taken as political which I've definitely stayed away from so far in the actual screeners). But people generally said I was appropriately serious but also personable. I have a targeted practice area and a pitch that basically describes how my life story/work experience have led me to want that area although I'm not targeting a specific practice group yet. Also thought I had an appropriate number of safeties (or as close as you can really get to a safety, basically a bunch of firms with decent class sizes that are below V30 and V50). So I'm not sure if I'm just screwing up interviews, grades/work experience aren't good enough, or if something else is going wrong. Or if this is just normal?
1) 5 is good.

2) V30-50 aren't "safeties". First of all, there is no such thing. A firm who isn't grade selective, isn't going to wet themselves at the thought of your 3.65 GPA. Second, your GPA range is about right on track for V30-50.

3) There is a definite drop off after top 15-20%, and you are on the wrong side of it. Your grades alone are not getting you callbacks at a 3.65gpa.

4) Check your assburgers if you didn't think about how this would upset people who don't have any CB's yet.
If I'm top 15-20% and have 0 CBs and 5 dings out of 17 interviews ... does this mean that I did seriously screw it up?
If you bid NYC, yes.

No one is too good to massmail. Start working on it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:14 pm

IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
1) 5 is good.

If you bid NYC, yes.

No one is too good to massmail. Start working on it.
No, SF. I just don't get it. I have no idea what I did wrong. I have several years of work experience and I thought I had a great vibe with a number of the interviewers (not all, but a majority). And without knowing, I feel like I'm just going to bomb any interviews I get through massmailing. :-(

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
No, SF. I just don't get it. I have no idea what I did wrong. I have several years of work experience and I thought I had a great vibe with a number of the interviewers (not all, but a majority). And without knowing, I feel like I'm just going to bomb any interviews I get through massmailing. :-(
PM me. If you want I will do a phone interview with you.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
1) 5 is good.

What is the deal with the remaining 12 interviews? Have they been making other callbacks yet?

And what do you think top 20% is? My year the cut off between getting a million CBs and getting several was more like 3.7-3.75 but class sizes are smaller according to rumors.

But still, you should be getting some callbacks, so ya, you are probably screwing it up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
1) 5 is good.

What is the deal with the remaining 12 interviews? Have they been making other callbacks yet?

And what do you think top 20% is? My year the cut off between getting a million CBs and getting several was more like 3.7-3.75 but class sizes are smaller according to rumors.

But still, you should be getting some callbacks, so ya, you are probably screwing it up.
I don't know if the firms have been making other CBs. I know of 1 person who got CBs but she's IP. Anyone here been getting CBs from SV/SF?

My GPA's 3.76.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Paul Weiss CB
Male or female interviewer?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”