NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:At today's pre-OCI prep session, it was mentioned that some firms, and one in particular, do not want people who have interviews to stop at their hospitality suite. Does anyone know which firm(s) they were talking about?

Latham, as stated by a partner during their event. Basically he claimed that coming in and bothering the suite attorney can only hurt you, because if your interviewer likes you you're in, but if you then go in and bother the other attorney you could get torpedoed.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At today's pre-OCI prep session, it was mentioned that some firms, and one in particular, do not want people who have interviews to stop at their hospitality suite. Does anyone know which firm(s) they were talking about?

Latham, as stated by a partner during their event. Basically he claimed that coming in and bothering the suite attorney can only hurt you, because if your interviewer likes you you're in, but if you then go in and bother the other attorney you could get torpedoed.

If attorneys are bothered by people coming by the suite maybe they shouldn't be the ones in the suite.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:16 am

Icculus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If attorneys are bothered by people coming by the suite maybe they shouldn't be the ones in the suite.

And god forbid you actually try to get to know the attorneys where you might end up working next summer / a few years of your life.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:34 pm

D-hops wrote:And god forbid you actually try to get to know the attorneys where you might end up working next summer / a few years of your life.

At Latham? Probably not gonna come up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:29 pm

You must have misunderstood. Personally, I think that if you have an interview, it's suicide NOT to visit the hospitality suite to further touch base with them.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

You must have misunderstood. Personally, I think that if you have an interview, it's suicide NOT to visit the hospitality suite to further touch base with them.

Well, that's overdramatic. If a firm has one, it is nice to stop by and chat to get a better feel for the people. But if your grades/screener was good enough to get you a CB, not stopping by the hospitality suite isn't going to get you dinged.

But I will say, free diet coke, swag, and snacks make it worth it regardless.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:22 pm

has anyone heard of callbacks yet?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:has anyone heard of callbacks yet?

From today? No. From fairs and stuff? Lots. (Not me.) And offers. (Also not me.)

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:29 pm

This is lgleye, isn't it?

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:32 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

This is lgleye, isn't it?

:-D :-D :-D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:20 pm

Found out today that my brother died. My family isn't doing a ceremony or anything for a couple of weeks. Keep chugging through OCI or take a couple of days to calm down?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Found out today that my brother died. My family isn't doing a ceremony or anything for a couple of weeks. Keep chugging through OCI or take a couple of days to calm down?

I'm so sorry. That's awful.

I'd try to power through if you aren't going anywhere. I hate to say anything so trite, but I'm sure your brother wouldn't have wanted you to risk your future career for him. And you only have to act the part of a carefree law student for 20 minutes at a time.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Found out today that my brother died. My family isn't doing a ceremony or anything for a couple of weeks. Keep chugging through OCI or take a couple of days to calm down?

My sincere condolences. I can't imagine how you are feeling right now. Since you're asking for advice, I'll do my best on that front.

My thoughts: I think this is an extremely personal question that only you can really decide and make. If you focus too much on OCI you might regret not taking time to grieve. If you take time to grieve you might regret not focusing on OCI enough. It's hard to tell. Giving yourself time might make you better able to interview since you would be calmer and more focused so that might overall be a better strategy. Maybe you will have a rough time no matter what. I don't think anybody can tell you what to do and I'm not even sure you can know for sure what the best course of action. I think you should do the thing that will allow you to live with yourself down the road, no matter what that is.

chill

Postby chill » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:33 pm

Only you know the answer to this. On the NU front, reach out to Dave Diamond and Rob Durr-- Dave can help you figure out what you should do in a career sense. If you do decide to take some time off, he may even be able to recommend ways for you to try to get those screeners back. And counseling, even if it's only for an hour, can help you figure out whether you want to proceed or take a couple days off to grieve. Take the time to make a decision that you, ultimately, can be content with.

I'm really sorry for your loss.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:38 pm

I'm sorry man.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:39 pm

Now I feel like a callous jerk. These guys had way better advice. ^

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:13 pm

Oh my god, I'm so so sorry. I hope things work out for you, that is heart-wrenching. If I knew who you were, I'd give you the BIGGEST hug ever. ):

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:45 am

So sorry, anon. Rob Durr seems a bit goobery sometimes but I think he could be a big help here. And if you need hugs, cookies, someone to sit with you, we're all around if you need someone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:26 am

I am so sorry for your loss.

Seriously consider CAPS. They are a good resource. (And Rob)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:02 pm

For what it's worth, Winston & Strawn started callbacks already.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:29 pm

Milbank did as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:44 pm

Weil too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:09 am

Can y'all who got CBs indicate the interviewer if possible?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:26 am

jones day chicago has already started offering callbacks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:14 pm

Have any other firms started calling for callbacks?

Return to “Legal Employment”