NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Bumi

Silver

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Post by Bumi » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:10 pm

lgleye wrote:I'm dying here..... sitting on about a hundred letters to firms in 3 markets that I can't send out now because it's too early.......I don't think I can make it until July.
If you are this keyed up to get going, that means you've been networking, right?

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:51 am

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:16 am

lgleye wrote:
Bumi wrote:
lgleye wrote:I'm dying here..... sitting on about a hundred letters to firms in 3 markets that I can't send out now because it's too early.......I don't think I can make it until July.
If you are this keyed up to get going, that means you've been networking, right?
Sorta.... so far, I've emailed about 20-30 emails to alumni in the 7 or 8 firms I'm targeting, trying to focus on recent graduates, especially if I am lucky to find some in my 2-3 practice areas. Feedback has been good (about 60-80%), but then again, I'm not sure how much that helps b/c they give me a sentence or two about their work, and that's about all I can think about to ask. It's not like they know a secret password for me to whisper to the screener to get a callback or something, right?.
I mean the wealth of info on NALP, Vault, and Chambers seems to equip me with all the info I need to maintain an intelligent conversation already.
I would appreciate any suggestions.
You should see if you can meet some for a coffee or something, discuss firm life, how they chose their practice, etc. Also, you should be networking at smaller firms as well.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:20 am

Icculus wrote:
lgleye wrote:
Bumi wrote:
Sorta.... so far, I've emailed about 20-30 emails to alumni in the 7 or 8 firms I'm targeting, trying to focus on recent graduates, especially if I am lucky to find some in my 2-3 practice areas. Feedback has been good (about 60-80%), but then again, I'm not sure how much that helps b/c they give me a sentence or two about their work, and that's about all I can think about to ask. It's not like they know a secret password for me to whisper to the screener to get a callback or something, right?.
I mean the wealth of info on NALP, Vault, and Chambers seems to equip me with all the info I need to maintain an intelligent conversation already.
I would appreciate any suggestions.
You should see if you can meet some for a coffee or something, discuss firm life, how they chose their practice, etc. Also, you should be networking at smaller firms as well.
This. Networking should ideally not just be a quick "hey, how does your firm do X?" email but rather you grabbing coffee or lunch with someone.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:53 pm

bk187 wrote:
Icculus wrote: You should see if you can meet some for a coffee or something, discuss firm life, how they chose their practice, etc. Also, you should be networking at smaller firms as well.
This. Networking should ideally not just be a quick "hey, how does your firm do X?" email but rather you grabbing coffee or lunch with someone.
I can assure you, lawyers LOVE telling you about their practice, how the chose it, why it's great, but usually in person. Also, every lawyer I have met both at my firm and elsewhere has been happy to talk shop with me. Networking also does not stop when you get a job. I make sure to chat with NU grads at my firm and others I have some connection with (undergrad, target practice area, etc) because those are the kinds of interactions people will remember when you start work and are looking for assignments.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:22 pm

The callback stats for 2012 OCI are now up, looks like they haven't sent out a notification yet, but you can find the file under the Resources tab in Symplicity.

LHLH

New

Post by LHLH » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:13 pm

Kikero wrote:The callback stats for 2012 OCI are now up, looks like they haven't sent out a notification yet, but you can find the file under the Resources tab in Symplicity.
Am I the only one who just gets 9 blank pages when I download/view this?

Fabulist

New

Post by Fabulist » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:12 pm

It looks like the pdfs themselves are passworded. Any ideas?

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:21 pm

They work just fine for me, you do have to be logged in to Symplicity though. I let my session expire and then tried refreshing and I got an "unauthorized" message. Other than that I don't know why you'd have problems.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fishfry111

New

Post by fishfry111 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:18 pm

[
Last edited by fishfry111 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:25 pm

fishfry111 wrote:
Kikero wrote:The callback stats for 2012 OCI are now up, looks like they haven't sent out a notification yet, but you can find the file under the Resources tab in Symplicity.
For some reason, I can't seem to open them. When I click the file, the browser prompts whether to save or open, and doing either results in an error message saying "Acrobat unable to open". Same result for all three callback files, so lucky I have the 009-10 and the 2011 already (anyone needs them, PM me).
Does anybody have a 2012 list actually printed out?
Hmm, is it possible I am able to access it when you can't because I actually have Adobe Acrobat rather than just Adobe Reader? Either way, I'm sure they'll get it fixed though, it might be a case where this isn't the final version or something.

I do have a copy saved to my computer though, that I would be happy to email, if anyone absolutely cannot wait.

fishfry111

New

Post by fishfry111 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:41 pm

[.
Last edited by fishfry111 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:13 pm

Kikero wrote:
fishfry111 wrote:
For some reason, I can't seem to open them. When I click the file, the browser prompts whether to save or open, and doing either results in an error message saying "Acrobat unable to open". Same result for all three callback files, so lucky I have the 009-10 and the 2011 already (anyone needs them, PM me).
Does anybody have a 2012 list actually printed out?
Hmm, is it possible I am able to access it when you can't because I actually have Adobe Acrobat rather than just Adobe Reader? Either way, I'm sure they'll get it fixed though, it might be a case where this isn't the final version or something.

I do have a copy saved to my computer though, that I would be happy to email, if anyone absolutely cannot wait.
Hey bud, would you mind emailing it to me? I'm out of town and can't get it to download on my iPad.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:37 pm

@scarlet Sent.

@fishfry I have Acrobat X, but I really don't think that can be it, your error message just made me curious.

fishfry111

New

Post by fishfry111 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:35 pm

[
Last edited by fishfry111 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:20 am

I remember last year's pdfs were squirrelly too. I could only get them to work some weird way.

Also, I agree with the above about coffee/networking. I remember having phone calls with some lawyers out of town and coffee with ones in town during 1L summer, or even lunch once which was great. You don't have to do this at all, but I just remember being really busy with it so I'm confused about why people are itching for the summer to be over when there's so much to do. I didn't send out 40 emails a week, but I did try to do a coffee or something with someone at a different firm every couple of weeks.

No you don't get a secret password. But you do get great interview practice. You get to know what is special about that firm in a real, person-to-person way which is very helpful when you go into an interview with your 10th firm and they ask you what makes them special. There is a major difference between basing your answer on their website and basing your answer on a person you talked to.

Also, at the beginning of the summer when people asked me why I liked the practice areas I was interested in, I said really stupid things. By the end of the summer my answers were pretty good. This transition happened by attorneys correcting my dumb misconceptions over coffee, not over email where they're too polite to point out things you have wrong.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:30 am

If you can't get the pdfs to work, try using Google Chrome. For whatever reason that seems to work for me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:30 am

No alumni interview for me. They can't find anyone to do it here. :?

cactuarX3

Silver

Post by cactuarX3 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:46 am

Just wondering how much importance we should place into the medians on that callback list. Seems like with a 45% response rate, it's not very reliable except for maybe the firms that recruit most heavily out of NU (e.g. Sidley, Kirkland, Latham, etc.) since other firms may have just a few people who did callbacks and out of those few people, maybe only 1 or 2 people responded with their median GPAs. Also, I've noticed some firms having huge discrepancies between their 2011 and 2012 median GPAs for the same firm/office (3.4 medians jumping to 3.9 and vice versa).

Given this concern, should we even put too much weight on this list for our bidding strategies outside of the most popular firms?

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:53 am

cactuarX3 wrote:Just wondering how much importance we should place into the medians on that callback list. Seems like with a 45% response rate, it's not very reliable except for maybe the firms that recruit most heavily out of NU (e.g. Sidley, Kirkland, Latham, etc.) since other firms may have just a few people who did callbacks and out of those few people, maybe only 1 or 2 people responded with their median GPAs. Also, I've noticed some firms having huge discrepancies between their 2011 and 2012 median GPAs for the same firm/office (3.4 medians jumping to 3.9 and vice versa).

Given this concern, should we even put too much weight on this list for our bidding strategies outside of the most popular firms?
I'm a rising 2L too, so obviously I'm not an expert, but I would think the data is most useful if you look at multiple years and only use it for general info. If you have a 3.6 and the median at the firm you want is 3.7 for 2012 and it was 3.5 in 2011, I don't think that really tells you anything extremely useful. But if in the past 3 years a firm has never given a callback to someone below a 3.5 and you have a 3.35, maybe don't waste a high bid on that firm.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:43 am

Kikero, could you email it to me too? TYIA <3

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:05 am

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:07 am

Kikero wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:Just wondering how much importance we should place into the medians on that callback list. Seems like with a 45% response rate, it's not very reliable except for maybe the firms that recruit most heavily out of NU (e.g. Sidley, Kirkland, Latham, etc.) since other firms may have just a few people who did callbacks and out of those few people, maybe only 1 or 2 people responded with their median GPAs. Also, I've noticed some firms having huge discrepancies between their 2011 and 2012 median GPAs for the same firm/office (3.4 medians jumping to 3.9 and vice versa).

I'm a rising 2L too, so obviously I'm not an expert, but I would think the data is most useful if you look at multiple years and only use it for general info. If you have a 3.6 and the median at the firm you want is 3.7 for 2012 and it was 3.5 in 2011, I don't think that really tells you anything extremely useful. But if in the past 3 years a firm has never given a callback to someone below a 3.5 and you have a 3.35, maybe don't waste a high bid on that firm.
I would recommend not focussing too much on the median (yes it is good to know, but remember just as many people are above that number as below). The two numbers i felt were most important were the high GPA and low GPA of callbacks since that may give you a general idea of the firm's cutoffs. That said, remember that there can be many reasons for an exceptionally low GPA cutoff (URM, other diversity factors, work experience, etc). But it at least gives you an idea of places you would definitely be out of. And I have said this before and will say it again: LOOK AT CLASS SIZES!! A firm taking on 100 summers is going to often times have more leeway than a firm taking on 20 or 5.
Last edited by Icculus on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:07 am

lgleye wrote:
Bumi wrote:I remember last year's pdfs were squirrelly too. I could only get them to work some weird way.

Also, I agree with the above about coffee/networking. I remember having phone calls with some lawyers out of town and coffee with ones in town during 1L summer, or even lunch once which was great. You don't have to do this at all, but I just remember being really busy with it so I'm confused about why people are itching for the summer to be over when there's so much to do. I didn't send out 40 emails a week, but I did try to do a coffee or something with someone at a different firm every couple of weeks.

No you don't get a secret password. But you do get great interview practice. You get to know what is special about that firm in a real, person-to-person way which is very helpful when you go into an interview with your 10th firm and they ask you what makes them special. There is a major difference between basing your answer on their website and basing your answer on a person you talked to.

Also, at the beginning of the summer when people asked me why I liked the practice areas I was interested in, I said really stupid things. By the end of the summer my answers were pretty good. This transition happened by attorneys correcting my dumb misconceptions over coffee, not over email where they're too polite to point out things you have wrong.
Thanks. Yeah, the people who emailed back did offer to make themselves available for coffee or to chat. From what you say, I guess the lesson is schedule a meet, chill, and absorb.
Did you decline the invitations? If so, that was a mistake.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:22 am

On this subject - what if an associate doesn't reply to you in a few days? Is TCR to send another email after a week or two, or should you assume that person is a dead end and email someone else from that office?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”