NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
LHLH

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby LHLH » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:48 pm

just got the e-mail about opting out of interviews with employers we bid for if we no longer wish to interview there, as they might be added to our schedules. 1) how likely is this? 2) is this different from open sign-ups?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:21 pm

LHLH wrote:just got the e-mail about opting out of interviews with employers we bid for if we no longer wish to interview there, as they might be added to our schedules. 1) how likely is this? 2) is this different from open sign-ups?

I can answer #2: You're not adding the interviews; the system is. If someone drops a firm that you bid on but didn't get, you might get that interview added to your schedule. You have no control over it, except that you can say no thanks before they even start with the waitlists.

LHLH

Postby LHLH » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:55 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
LHLH wrote:just got the e-mail about opting out of interviews with employers we bid for if we no longer wish to interview there, as they might be added to our schedules. 1) how likely is this? 2) is this different from open sign-ups?

I can answer #2: You're not adding the interviews; the system is. If someone drops a firm that you bid on but didn't get, you might get that interview added to your schedule. You have no control over it, except that you can say no thanks before they even start with the waitlists.

Awesome, thanks. So we don't do anything but check our schedule and there are still actual open sign ups that we can choose to sign up for if we get the chance?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:16 pm

LHLH wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Awesome, thanks. So we don't do anything but check our schedule and there are still actual open sign ups that we can choose to sign up for if we get the chance?

No, that's like the open signup. This is the system taking the next person off the waitlist and giving them an interview once someone else drops it.

eschewinganonymity

Postby eschewinganonymity » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:34 am

Anyone know how often this waitlist thing runs or is it constant? Does Symplicity send an email if you obtain a new screener?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:36 am

eschewinganonymity wrote:Anyone know how often this waitlist thing runs or is it constant? Does Symplicity send an email if you obtain a new screener?

Doesn't matter, almost nobody drops interviewers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:25 pm

One of the OCI FAQs says that we can resume drop but are forbidden from trying to hand off resumes in between interviews and can only do so during scheduled breaks. What does this mean exactly? Like, a firm doesn't have a hospitality suite and so I can sit in front of their door just before lunchtime to hand them my resume (but not in between interviews)?

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:One of the OCI FAQs says that we can resume drop but are forbidden from trying to hand off resumes in between interviews and can only do so during scheduled breaks. What does this mean exactly? Like, a firm doesn't have a hospitality suite and so I can sit in front of their door just before lunchtime to hand them my resume (but not in between interviews)?

before the start of any interviews, lunch, and after they are done with interviews are the allowed times. also, sometimes interviews spots will be crossed off because of last minute cancellations or whatever, those times would also be free game

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:49 pm

splitsplat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:One of the OCI FAQs says that we can resume drop but are forbidden from trying to hand off resumes in between interviews and can only do so during scheduled breaks. What does this mean exactly? Like, a firm doesn't have a hospitality suite and so I can sit in front of their door just before lunchtime to hand them my resume (but not in between interviews)?

before the start of any interviews, lunch, and after they are done with interviews are the allowed times. also, sometimes interviews spots will be crossed off because of last minute cancellations or whatever, those times would also be free game

Key to the resume drop is getting there early. Try and show up at like 7:30 and do it before they start so if someone likes you they can speak with you during the break or at lunch.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:35 pm

Just got K&E Chicago added to my schedule through waitlist. Bid them at 7

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:17 pm

Got Sheppard Mullin Chicago added to my schedule today. Bid them at 16!

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:19 pm

Someone has probably asked this, but for emailing firms we bid but didn't get, email the recruiter or the person listed as interviewer?

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:21 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:Someone has probably asked this, but for emailing firms we bid but didn't get, email the recruiter or the person listed as interviewer?

Always email the recruiter.

ETA: You can try and catch the interviewer in the morning and see if they can add you, but for emailing ahead of time go with the recruiter.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:22 pm

Icculus wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:Someone has probably asked this, but for emailing firms we bid but didn't get, email the recruiter or the person listed as interviewer?

Thanks!

Roll Fizzlebeef

Postby Roll Fizzlebeef » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:37 pm

Icculus wrote:

ETA: You can try and catch the interviewer in the morning and see if they can add you, but for emailing ahead of time go with the recruiter.

Is there a rule against doing both?

LHLH

Postby LHLH » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:27 pm

Roll Fizzlebeef wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Is there a rule against doing both?

My career advisor said its fine to do both.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:43 pm

I picked up an interview during the open signup that I later noticed requires a class ranking waaaaaay out of my league. I mean hilariously way out there, where they're going to look at my transcript and just laugh. It's my first interview on Tuesday morning. Should I just drop it/can I even drop it at this point?

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I picked up an interview during the open signup that I later noticed requires a class ranking waaaaaay out of my league. I mean hilariously way out there, where they're going to look at my transcript and just laugh. It's my first interview on Tuesday morning. Should I just drop it/can I even drop it at this point?

We don't rank so I don't know what you mean. If you mean percentile, well, yeah you may get dinged, you may not. Why cancel an opportunity for a job if you haven't gotten a job yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:34 pm

Icculus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I picked up an interview during the open signup that I later noticed requires a class ranking waaaaaay out of my league. I mean hilariously way out there, where they're going to look at my transcript and just laugh. It's my first interview on Tuesday morning. Should I just drop it/can I even drop it at this point?

We don't rank so I don't know what you mean. If you mean percentile, well, yeah you may get dinged, you may not. Why cancel an opportunity for a job if you haven't gotten a job yet?

For one thing, I'm sick as a fucking dog and I'm worrying about my stamina and wasting it on firms where I have literally zero shot.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Icculus wrote:

For one thing, I'm sick as a fucking dog and I'm worrying about my stamina and wasting it on firms where I have literally zero shot.

FYI, posted firm "cut offs" are often absurdly wrong. I wouldn't necessarily read too much into it.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Icculus wrote:

PM someone your rank and the firm and go from there.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Icculus wrote:

FYI, posted firm "cut offs" are often absurdly wrong. I wouldn't necessarily read too much into it.

This is credited. I know several people who got CBs and offers from firms who requested certain percentiles.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:07 am

At today's pre-OCI prep session, it was mentioned that some firms, and one in particular, do not want people who have interviews to stop at their hospitality suite. Does anyone know which firm(s) they were talking about?

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:At today's pre-OCI prep session, it was mentioned that some firms, and one in particular, do not want people who have interviews to stop at their hospitality suite. Does anyone know which firm(s) they were talking about?

That seems odd to me.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:56 am

homestyle28 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At today's pre-OCI prep session, it was mentioned that some firms, and one in particular, do not want people who have interviews to stop at their hospitality suite. Does anyone know which firm(s) they were talking about?

That seems odd to me.

Really weird, and why would they not tell you what firms?

Return to “Legal Employment”