NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lgleye

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby lgleye » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:37 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:38 pm

lgleye wrote:A :?: :?: :?: nyone know when we can expect to know the name of the screeners? We're only 8 days away.Anyone know when we can expect to know the name of the screeners? We're only 8 days away.

you seem very nice, but you stress me the fuck out with your urgency.

Although, I'd like to know this too.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:40 pm

lgleye wrote:A :?: :?: :?: nyone know when we can expect to know the name of the screeners? We're only 8 days away.Anyone know when we can expect to know the name of the screeners? We're only 8 days away.

Dude, your needle is stuck and you're skipping. Chill.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:48 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:56 pm

lgleye wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Gotta. :roll:

You repeated yourself in your post. Is there some other explanation, like a copypasta malfunction?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:05 pm

lgleye wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Gotta. :roll:

Really? Can't you find other things to do with all your nervous energy? Learning more about firms, groups, writing CLs?

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:30 pm

This should really be the least of your worries. The only thing I ever knew about my screeners was their practice area and law school to see if they went to NU. Plus screeners can change the day of. Even at CBs I would get schedules of who I was meeting with and would sometimes show up and the whole schedule was changed. You need to chill out. Go have a drink.

ETA: there is nothing you are going to research about them that can't be done day of or night before.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:26 pm

Icculus wrote:

This should really be the least of your worries. The only thing I ever knew about my screeners was their practice area and law school to see if they went to NU. Plus screeners can change the day of. Even at CBs I would get schedules of who I was meeting with and would sometimes show up and the whole schedule was changed. You need to chill out. Go have a drink.

ETA: there is nothing you are going to research about them that can't be done day of or night before.

Every morning you'll go up to the big room and check because interviewers change all the time. Firm bios don't have that much info that it takes that much time to look up who people are and get a sense of what they do, just bring your smartphone/tablet/laptop.

echooo23

Postby echooo23 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:28 pm

IIRC, the OCI FAQ (look in Symplicity, under Resources, I think) said names of interviewers are often posted only the day before.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:41 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Every morning you'll go up to the big room and check because interviewers change all the time. Firm bios don't have that much info that it takes that much time to look up who people are and get a sense of what they do, just bring your smartphone/tablet/laptop.

Just to confirm, our webID logins will work on the Wieboldt wifi, yes?

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:48 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Just to confirm, our webID logins will work on the Wieboldt wifi, yes?

Yes, but I recommend that you don't spend that much time in Wieboldt except for your interviews. The "stew room" is an awful, stress-filled sort of hell.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:52 pm

D-hops wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Just to confirm, our webID logins will work on the Wieboldt wifi, yes?

Yes, but I recommend that you don't spend that much time in Wieboldt except for your interviews. The "stew room" is an awful, stress-filled sort of hell.

I just worry about getting all sweaty running around in my suit in the humidity, but I guess even I can make it from the atrium without ending up a hot mess.

Hopefully.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:19 pm

How do we present whatever documents (transcripts, writing sample, updated resume, etc.) to the OCI interviewer? Is just a stack of papers ok, or should we get a bunch of the purple folders?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:48 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:How do we present whatever documents (transcripts, writing sample, updated resume, etc.) to the OCI interviewer? Is just a stack of papers ok, or should we get a bunch of the purple folders?

At least paperclip or staple them together. Alternatively you could present them a manila folder with all those things in it.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:10 pm

bk1 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:How do we present whatever documents (transcripts, writing sample, updated resume, etc.) to the OCI interviewer? Is just a stack of papers ok, or should we get a bunch of the purple folders?

At least paperclip or staple them together. Alternatively you could present them a manila folder with all those things in it.

I went with a paper clip. Related note: go to student services and get an official copy of your transcript, then make copies of that transcript so everything is on one page and tidy, at least better than handing them a 4 page printout from caesar.

kerflux

Postby kerflux » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:46 am

My favorite pre-OCI activity is stressing over minutia and compounding my neuroses by reading anything lgleye posts in this thread.

Q: Didn't bid on Chi at all during OCI, not returning till OCI starts - should I mass-mail Chi firms at a certain time, or just ASAP? Sorry if this has already been asked.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:24 am

ASAP. Let them know when you'll be in town to meet with them.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:15 pm

What is the point of the Calendar tab in Symplicity if not to display your interviews? Because all mine shows is my exception time blocks.

Do we have to use the same OCI resume (i.e. not including journal) for submissions on the Jobs/Resume Requests tab?

Should I bother requesting reciprocal access to the job listings on Lewis & Clark's symplicity? It's $30.

purpletiger

Postby purpletiger » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:12 pm

D-hops wrote:

The bolded is very important.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:45 am

purpletiger wrote:
D-hops wrote:

I sorta liked it.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:36 pm

IAFG wrote:
purpletiger wrote:
D-hops wrote:

I sorta liked it.

ditto.

Roll Fizzlebeef

Postby Roll Fizzlebeef » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:52 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
IAFG wrote:I sorta liked it.

ditto.

Sado-masochists.

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:41 pm

Just noting that some of my interviewers have been added to the Symplicity schedules. Of course entirely subject to change etc. but figured some people here would want to know.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:44 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I just worry about getting all sweaty running around in my suit in the humidity, but I guess even I can make it from the atrium without ending up a hot mess.

Hopefully.

It'll be fine. You're outside for like five seconds getting from the law school to Weiboldt. Just make sure you have a rain plan every day for coming to school. That's what screwed me, and I lived two blocks away.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:48 pm

basilseal wrote:Just noting that some of my interviewers have been added to the Symplicity schedules. Of course entirely subject to change etc. but figured some people here would want to know.

(igleye immediately and with ferocity checks each of his scheduled interview, begins stalking each person)

Return to “Legal Employment”