NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
IAFG

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby IAFG » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:09 pm

Icculus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Doubt you'd get K&L at 29. I didn't hear of many people getting Chicago firms later than the 16-low 20s range

are there any firms that one could potentially get screeners from despite bidding them very low?

Depends. A few NYC firms may make it into the late 20s. Small markets last longer. People were getting Boston firms in the 30s. But this is a different class so YMMV. Basically oci is a big guessing game which is why tinkering with bid lists can have diminishing returns as IAFG said.

I bet you can get NYC V10s pretty low. But people with V10 numbers don't wanna be too clever and miss them. I guess I am just cynical about bidlist tactics. Other than knowing you have to put big Chi firms high, there's not a lot you can do.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:32 pm

IAFG wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Doubt you'd get K&L at 29. I didn't hear of many people getting Chicago firms later than the 16-low 20s range

are there any firms that one could potentially get screeners from despite bidding them very low?

Depends. A few NYC firms may make it into the late 20s. Small markets last longer. People were getting Boston firms in the 30s. But this is a different class so YMMV. Basically oci is a big guessing game which is why tinkering with bid lists can have diminishing returns as IAFG said.

I bet you can get NYC V10s pretty low. But people with V10 numbers don't wanna be too clever and miss them. I guess I am just cynical about bidlist tactics. Other than knowing you have to put big Chi firms high, there's not a lot you can do.

Right, and it depends on what you mean by "low." For example last year I was told the V10 made it to the 20s your year so I tried to get clever and ended up missing a screener at all but Weil because I bid Weil earlier. One of the reasons oci is tough to guess is because not all classes want the same thing. I told some people what happened with my list and people were surprised I missed out on so many. It's why I am hesitant to give out advice that is very specific and more general advice about class sizes and GPA requirements.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:38 pm

Can anyone give advice on bid lists for someone far below median, target market NY? Please reply to this and I will PM you with more information/a tentative bidlist. Don't want to reveal GPA.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

If you mean outside of bid results, your ability to get extra screeners will depend entirely on your willingness to hustle. Going to hospitality suites will not result in many additional screeners. Being at OCI all day, every day, early in the day, and knocking on doors, catching interviewers at breaks to drop off resumes and ask for screeners will greatly increase the number of screeners you get...but it takes a lot of hard work.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:53 pm

Or simply go to the suites every morning at like 7:40AM, look for cancellations, and sign your name.
I doubt this "hustling" of catching interviewers on their breaks works that well. If you are at 4.0, sure it might work, but if you are there, you can also probably just e-mail interviewer the night before, tell them how you were disappointed you did not get an interview, and ask them whether they could meet you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:29 am

Pokemon wrote:Or simply go to the suites every morning at like 7:40AM, look for cancellations, and sign your name.
I doubt this "hustling" of catching interviewers on their breaks works that well. If you are at 4.0, sure it might work, but if you are there, you can also probably just e-mail interviewer the night before, tell them how you were disappointed you did not get an interview, and ask them whether they could meet you.

I have a friend last year who definitely did not have a 4.0 who snagged at least 6 additional screeners by diligently waiting for interviewers at breaks. Most people don't do this, or at least last year most people did not do so, so there wasn't much competition.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:53 am

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:23 pm

lgleye wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Pokemon wrote:Or simply go to the suites every morning at like 7:40AM, look for cancellations, and sign your name.

I have a friend last year who definitely did not have a 4.0 who snagged at least 6 additional screeners by diligently waiting for interviewers at breaks. Most people don't do this, or at least last year most people did not do so, so there wasn't much competition.

This really works?? I'm an eager-beaver, willing to grovel, but I figure that most of the interviewers you badger during their breaks would get pissed, making them want to call security. And do you upperclassmen know of cases/friends/classmates who landed an offer through this?

I'm sure the reactions vary, but I suspect plenty of interviewers know and expect that they'll run into this. Just be nice, have a resume ready to go and a quick line about how much you were hoping to land a spot with Firm X and why, then ask if they have any time that day. The worst that can happen is they say no.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:49 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
lgleye wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This really works?? I'm an eager-beaver, willing to grovel, but I figure that most of the interviewers you badger during their breaks would get pissed, making them want to call security. And do you upperclassmen know of cases/friends/classmates who landed an offer through this?

I'm sure the reactions vary, but I suspect plenty of interviewers know and expect that they'll run into this. Just be nice, have a resume ready to go and a quick line about how much you were hoping to land a spot with Firm X and why, then ask if they have any time that day. The worst that can happen is they say no.

I know a few people who gat CBs this way. I think one got an offer after theCB, but remember the CB is what you need to be concerned about.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:49 pm

Hi! I would love some help with my bidlist. 3.58, secondary journal, would love SF/SV, but willing to work in LA and PDX/SEA.

1 Morrison & Foerster SF
2 Fenwick & West SF
3 Wilson Sonsini SF
4 Weil Gotshal SF
5 Sidley Austin SF
6 Goodwin Procter SF
7 O'Melveny LA
8 Paul Hastings SF
9 Proskauer Rose LA
10 Schiff Hardin SF
11 Gibson Dunn SF
12 Sidley Austin LA
13 O'Melveny SV
14 Gunderson SF
15 Holland & Knight SF
16 Foley & Lardner SF
17 Mayer Brown LA/SF
18 Perkins Coie SF
19 Simpson Thacher SF
20 O'Melveny SF
21 Kirkland & Ellis SF
22 Latham SF
23 Pillsbury Winthrop SF
24 Ropes & Gray SF
25 Davis Wright Tremaine PDX
26 Dorsey & Whitney SEA

Will it bite me in the ass to not have any CHI firms on here? Is there a firm on here that is known to be just terrible (douchey/fratty/generally shitty) that I should avoid?

Thanks!

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi! I would love some help with my bidlist. 3.58, secondary journal, would love SF/SV, but willing to work in LA and PDX/SEA.

1 Morrison & Foerster SF
2 Fenwick & West SF
3 Wilson Sonsini SF
4 Weil Gotshal SF
5 Sidley Austin SF
6 Goodwin Procter SF
7 O'Melveny LA
8 Paul Hastings SF
9 Proskauer Rose LA
10 Schiff Hardin SF
11 Gibson Dunn SF
12 Sidley Austin LA
13 O'Melveny SV
14 Gunderson SF
15 Holland & Knight SF
16 Foley & Lardner SF
17 Mayer Brown LA/SF
18 Perkins Coie SF
19 Simpson Thacher SF
20 O'Melveny SF
21 Kirkland & Ellis SF
22 Latham SF
23 Pillsbury Winthrop SF
24 Ropes & Gray SF
26 Dorsey & Whitney SEA

Will it bite me in the ass to not have any CHI firms on here? Is there a firm on here that is known to be just terrible (douchey/fratty/generally shitty) that I should avoid?

Thanks!

I know nothing of these markets, but as one who has yet to secure a screener, nevermind a CB or job, I don't think you should be thinking in terms of "places to avoid."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:46 pm

Icculus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi! I would love some help with my bidlist. 3.58, secondary journal, would love SF/SV, but willing to work in LA and PDX/SEA.

1 Morrison & Foerster SF
2 Fenwick & West SF
3 Wilson Sonsini SF
4 Weil Gotshal SF
5 Sidley Austin SF
6 Goodwin Procter SF
7 O'Melveny LA
8 Paul Hastings SF
9 Proskauer Rose LA
10 Schiff Hardin SF
11 Gibson Dunn SF
12 Sidley Austin LA
13 O'Melveny SV
14 Gunderson SF
15 Holland & Knight SF
16 Foley & Lardner SF
17 Mayer Brown LA/SF
18 Perkins Coie SF
19 Simpson Thacher SF
20 O'Melveny SF
21 Kirkland & Ellis SF
22 Latham SF
23 Pillsbury Winthrop SF
24 Ropes & Gray SF
26 Dorsey & Whitney SEA

Thanks!

I know nothing of these markets, but as one who has yet to secure a screener, nevermind a CB or job, I don't think you should be thinking in terms of "places to avoid."

not sure if MoFo is worth a bid. I heard they have insane GPA cutoffs (> 3.8 )

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:not sure if MoFo is worth a bid. I heard they have insane GPA cutoffs (> 3.8 )

Not sure that requires anon.

But anyway, I know of some people that got OTIP interviews with MoFo around 3.4-3.6, obviously that's not the same as getting a job or even a cb, but they're pre-selected interviews so I doubt they'd take people with absolutely no chance. Also, I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I think MoFo's cb median dropped like 40 points between 2011 & 2012 according to the file Career Services sent out.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:00 pm

Just a PSA: don't read too much into changes in GPA numbers from year to year, especially for small firms/offices. Also remember that the class of 2014 was not that diligent about putting their data in.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:03 pm

Bumi wrote:Just a PSA: don't read too much into changes in GPA numbers from year to year, especially for small firms/offices. Also remember that the class of 2014 was not that diligent about putting their data in.

Thanks, good point. I only mentioned the swing in GPA medians in the post above as evidence that there isn't a hard cutoff at 3.8 something, not as an indication that MoFo was significantly lowering standards or anything.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:44 pm

Bumi wrote:Just a PSA: don't read too much into changes in GPA numbers from year to year, especially for small firms/offices. Also remember that the class of 2014 was not that diligent about putting their data in.

I was...after being individually berated by several people.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:33 am

My bid list may be hard to critique, but please give it a shot. I am a T2 transfer.

I am targeting the Chicago market only. I currently have a 1L SA that will very likely turn into a 2L offer, so my bidding strategy changes a little. I also have 7 interviews at the CCBA Minority Fair, and I am not bidding on them at NU OCI (obviously). I am also not bidding on any firms that did not pre-select me at the Minority Fair . So if you are thinking "Why isn't [big Chicago firm] on here?" then it probably means I either have an interview with them or they have rejected me already.

1. Ropes & Gray
2. Paul Hastings
3. Latham
4. Kirkland & Ellis
5. Greenberg Traurig
6. Chapman & Cutler
7. Proskauer Rose
8. Morgan, Lewis & Bokius
9. Dentons
10. Dechert
11. Polsinelli
12. Husch Blackwell
13. Quarles & Brady
14. Thompson Coburn
15. Dykema
16. Faegre Baker Daniels
17. Clark Hill PLC

I am thinking this is it. It's probably best that I don't use up all my bids for my classmates' sake, right?

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:20 am

I am also not bidding on any firms that did not pre-select me at the Minority Fair. So if you are thinking "Why isn't [big Chicago firm] on here?" then it probably means I either have an interview with them or they have rejected me already.

this is stupid. you should definitely bid on these firms for oci (the ones you havent gotten interviews for)

also there are like 50+ chicago offices interviewing at oci, fill up your bidlist- self selecting out of job employment opportunities is just ill advised.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:26 am

splitsplat wrote:
I am also not bidding on any firms that did not pre-select me at the Minority Fair. So if you are thinking "Why isn't [big Chicago firm] on here?" then it probably means I either have an interview with them or they have rejected me already.

this is stupid. you should definitely bid on these firms for oci (the ones you havent gotten interviews for)

Agreed, though I can see the rationale. I would still probably bid them at OCI.

Also

Anonymous User wrote: am thinking this is it. It's probably best that I don't use up all my bids for my classmates' sake, right?

This:
splitsplat wrote:also there are like 50+ chicago offices interviewing at oci, fill up your bidlist- self selecting out of job employment opportunities is just ill advised.

Use all your bids. Your 1L SA is no guaranteed 2L offer even if it is an offer to come back next year.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:09 am

splitsplat wrote:

also there are like 50+ chicago offices interviewing at oci, fill up your bidlist- self selecting out of job employment opportunities is just ill advised.

This. CCBA has limited preselect spots and firms may well have a lot of very qualified applicants that fill up their schedule. Not getting a preselect spot only means you weren't in their top 15 or so resumes they received. A lot of these firms fill up with the same 15 applicants or so because they have the best GPA/school combo. Do not treat it as an implicit rejection. Firms usually call back a lot more than 15 people.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:32 am

D-hops wrote:
splitsplat wrote:

This. CCBA has limited preselect spots and firms may well have a lot of very qualified applicants that fill up their schedule. Not getting a preselect spot only means you weren't in their top 15 or so resumes they received. A lot of these firms fill up with the same 15 applicants or so because they have the best GPA/school combo. Do not treat it as an implicit rejection. Firms usually call back a lot more than 15 people.

I had no idea this was the case, therefore I change my earlier statement of "I understand" to WTF are you thinking? Why are you risking not getting a job?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:47 am

Also, isn't there some rule against getting an OCI interview with a firm you DID interview with at an outside fair? Unless I'm completely misinterpreting him, Dave is telling me I'm not supposed to overlap my OCI firms w/ my SFIPLA firms.

Dave Diamond, in an email to me wrote:The limitation on interviewing with the same office of the same firm twice comes from the employers, though we are the ones asked to enforce it. Bidding on a firm with whom you will interview at an outside job fair is a wasted bid, as 99 out of 100 times the firms catch the overlap and we have to remove you from their interview list.

If you eliminate the firms that didn't preselect you at the minority fair (dumb) AND the firms that did preselect you (because rules), you'd be left with only firms that weren't at the fair at all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:37 am

So the $10 million donation means the Dean can hire how many more friends and family?

(in this thread because anonymous)

User has been outed and warned.

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:06 pm

I'm trying to figure out what the Latham & Watkins London office is hiring for. Any way to suss this out?

Thanks.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:14 pm

basilseal wrote:I'm trying to figure out what the Latham & Watkins London office is hiring for. Any way to suss this out?

Thanks.

Basically all of the overseas offices hire for "US Corporate" work. It's mainly capital markets but probably also includes other transactional stuff like cross-border M&A. Most of the offices overseas are not big enough for people to specialize, but London might be the exception.

Return to “Legal Employment”