NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby IAFG » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:59 pm

basilseal wrote:Supposing one's dead set on City X and would not work elsewhere: worth using up low bids on that city, so can include in later conversations the fact that one bid on them?

Maybe it's my bar-fried brain, but... what? You would only want to bid on one city, and you want to use your low bids on that city?

User avatar
Kikero
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:28 am

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby Kikero » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:08 am

IAFG wrote:
basilseal wrote:Supposing one's dead set on City X and would not work elsewhere: worth using up low bids on that city, so can include in later conversations the fact that one bid on them?

Maybe it's my bar-fried brain, but... what? You would only want to bid on one city, and you want to use your low bids on that city?


I assume the city is LA/NY/Chi and he's asking if he should just use all of his bids on it, including the low ones.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13914
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:15 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
Samara wrote:How deep in the bidding will Chicago firms last? 20? 25?

Basically, at which point should I switch to NYC so as not to waste bids?

Last I got last year was McDermott at 17.

If I put all my target market (Portland, Denver, Seattle) firms lower than 15-ish so as to ensure getting some "backup" Chicago firms, would I still get them?

Bumping this for the new page.

ALL of the Portland, Denver and Seattle firms take 10 slots (it's more than 10 firms; they overlap quite a bit).

Exactly how low can I put them on my list, using the higher slots for Chicago and SF/SV, and still get interviews?

echooo23
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:29 pm

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby echooo23 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:27 am

I want to go to Lavender Law, which is 8/22-24. Obviously, this conflicts with the last two days of OCI. Will this be a problem? Sorry if I sound stupid - I don't know how OCI works!

User avatar
basilseal
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby basilseal » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:03 am

Kikero wrote:
IAFG wrote:
basilseal wrote:Supposing one's dead set on City X and would not work elsewhere: worth using up low bids on that city, so can include in later conversations the fact that one bid on them?

Maybe it's my bar-fried brain, but... what? You would only want to bid on one city, and you want to use your low bids on that city?


I assume the city is LA/NY/Chi and he's asking if he should just use all of his bids on it, including the low ones.

Not your brain at all, I really phrased that terribly.

What Kikero said.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby IAFG » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:59 am

Kikero wrote:
IAFG wrote:
basilseal wrote:Supposing one's dead set on City X and would not work elsewhere: worth using up low bids on that city, so can include in later conversations the fact that one bid on them?

Maybe it's my bar-fried brain, but... what? You would only want to bid on one city, and you want to use your low bids on that city?


I assume the city is LA/NY/Chi and he's asking if he should just use all of his bids on it, including the low ones.

If you sincerely would rather starve than leave, say, Chicago of course you should use all your bids there, but not just for the talking point. There are better ways to show sincere dedication.

But this "I would never work anywhere but [city] is not a helpful mentality. Getting an SA spot is more important than spending the summer in your first choice city.

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:13 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
Samara wrote:How deep in the bidding will Chicago firms last? 20? 25?

Basically, at which point should I switch to NYC so as not to waste bids?

Last I got last year was McDermott at 17.

If I put all my target market (Portland, Denver, Seattle) firms lower than 15-ish so as to ensure getting some "backup" Chicago firms, would I still get them?

Bumping this for the new page.

ALL of the Portland, Denver and Seattle firms take 10 slots (it's more than 10 firms; they overlap quite a bit).

Exactly how low can I put them on my list, using the higher slots for Chicago and SF/SV, and still get interviews?


I don't know about Portland, Denver/Seattle, but I got almost all of my Midwest secondarys (Ohio, Indiana, Milwaukee) in the 20s and later. Most firms have at least 20 slots, so unless you can think of about that many people who you know will bid on them, you can safely move them lower...but there will be people interviewing for those firms who surprise you.

User avatar
lgleye
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby lgleye » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:59 am

.
Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
D-hops
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby D-hops » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:17 am

IAFG wrote:
Kikero wrote:
IAFG wrote:
basilseal wrote:Supposing one's dead set on City X and would not work elsewhere: worth using up low bids on that city, so can include in later conversations the fact that one bid on them?

Maybe it's my bar-fried brain, but... what? You would only want to bid on one city, and you want to use your low bids on that city?


I assume the city is LA/NY/Chi and he's asking if he should just use all of his bids on it, including the low ones.

If you sincerely would rather starve than leave, say, Chicago of course you should use all your bids there, but not just for the talking point. There are better ways to show sincere dedication.

But this "I would never work anywhere but [city] is not a helpful mentality. Getting an SA spot is more important than spending the summer in your first choice city.


This. Just because you summer at a firm does not mean that is the city or firm that you must work at. I know quite a few people that ended up at different firms (and different cities) as 3Ls, so don't limit yourself to one market as a 2L.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273141
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:27 am

TLS crew, I've made a first pass at generating my bidlist and need your opinions, here's my bidlist (in no particular order as of yet):

New York

Allen & Overy
Cadwalader Wickersham & Taft
Clifford Chance
Davis Polk
Dechert
Freshfields
Fried Frank
Linklaters
Milbank Tweed Hadley & McCloy
Paul Weiss
Shearman & Sterling
Simpson Thacher & Bartlett
Weil
White & Case
Willkie Farr
O'Melveny & [deleted]
Cahill Gordon & Reindel
Chadbourne & Parke

Bay Area

Fenwick & West
DLA Piper
Wilson Sonsini
Perkins Coie
Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman
Goodwin Procter
Gunderson

Chicago

Sidley Austin
K&L Gates

I'm holding off on adding more Chicago firms until I get results from CCBA, but depending on that, I may add in Goldberg, Chapman, McGuireWoods and Mayer Brown

My questions are:

1) What bid range should I start bidding on NYC firms? Bay area firms? Chicago firms?
2) Are any of these firms "out of reach" given my credentials?
3) Am I missing any firms that should be on there?

Stats = 3.5x, LR, significant work experience
Interests = transactional (M&A, securities work)

Thanks for any input in advance!

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby Samara » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:32 am

lgleye wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about your marketability in Portland or Denver. Relative of mine, an NU alumnus, targeted them during his OCI year. He told me that NU kicks ass there, without any real competition from DU or CU, no matter what their GPA's. He's now in Denver now, happy as a clam. Of course, you should know that his motivation for settling there is that he'd "never work in CA" (just hates the state)

When did he do OCI?

User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby Icculus » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:59 am

echooo23 wrote:I want to go to Lavender Law, which is 8/22-24. Obviously, this conflicts with the last two days of OCI. Will this be a problem? Sorry if I sound stupid - I don't know how OCI works!


If you end up with interviews those days you do not miss them. Really, you should not be missing any part of OCI for any reason, not to mention some firms schedule CBs super quickly and you may need those days for that.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13914
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:28 pm

homestyle28 wrote:I don't know about Portland, Denver/Seattle, but I got almost all of my Midwest secondarys (Ohio, Indiana, Milwaukee) in the 20s and later. Most firms have at least 20 slots, so unless you can think of about that many people who you know will bid on them, you can safely move them lower...but there will be people interviewing for those firms who surprise you.
Thanks, this is helpful.

lgleye wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about your marketability in Portland or Denver. Relative of mine, an NU alumnus, targeted them during his OCI year. He told me that NU kicks ass there, without any real competition from DU or CU, no matter what their GPA's. He's now in Denver now, happy as a clam. Of course, you should know that his motivation for settling there is that he'd "never work in CA" (just hates the state)
I still need to GET the interview via the bidding system, though. My marketability doesn't come into play until callbacks/hiring. My grades are an issue, but I can play up my "childhood growing up in the Denver area" (a year in Englewood when I was four, lol), and I figure they're more likely to believe a snowboarding Oregonian genuinely wants to live in Denver than an east coast city girl or something.

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:33 pm

Last year I was told that for secondary markets the NU name carries more weight than any specific GPA. What secondary firms tend to care about is that you really want to be in that area and that you're not going to drop them if you get a major market offer. Both the questions I got from secondary midwest firms and the CBs I received bore that out. For secondary market firms coming to campus, you can bank on the fact that they want to hire someone from NU, they're not just wasting their money to get to see the lake. While of course grades still matter, it's nowhere near as important as ties and having a very specific and solid answer to the "Why do you want to live/work here (Denver, Seattle, Phoenix, Milwaukee, Indy, etc.)?" question.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13914
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:41 pm

homestyle28 wrote:Last year I was told that for secondary markets the NU name carries more weight than any specific GPA. What secondary firms tend to care about is that you really want to be in that area and that you're not going to drop them if you get a major market offer. Both the questions I got from secondary midwest firms and the CBs I received bore that out. For secondary market firms coming to campus, you can bank on the fact that they want to hire someone from NU, they're not just wasting their money to get to see the lake. While of course grades still matter, it's nowhere near as important as ties and having a very specific and solid answer to the "Why do you want to live/work here (Denver, Seattle, Phoenix, Milwaukee, Indy, etc.)?" question.

I love this. I love you. Basically this made my day. :P

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:43 pm

What if you were born in the area but moved as a young child? Alternatively, what if you don't have strong ties but you would really actually like to live there? How would you pitch that to make it believable? Just try your hardest to sound sincere?

I'm asking from the perspective of mass-mailing, not OCI, so advice on things to say in a CL would be good too. TYIA guys <3

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13914
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:52 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:What if you were born in the area but moved as a young child? Alternatively, what if you don't have strong ties but you would really actually like to live there? How would you pitch that to make it believable? Just try your hardest to sound sincere?

I'm asking from the perspective of mass-mailing, not OCI, so advice on things to say in a CL would be good too. TYIA guys <3
Spin spin spin!
I was born in the Seattle area but we moved when I was 4: "originally from the Puget Sound area and eager to return home to the Pacific Northwest to begin my legal career"
Lived in Denver suburbs for a year when I was 4-5: "spent my young childhood in the beautiful Denver area, visited extensively as an adult, and love all that the Colorado lifestyle entails"
Have grandparents/aunts/uncles/cousins in Palo Alto and visited once a year as a kid: "regulary visited extended family in the Bay Area while growing up ... eager to return home to the beautiful West Coast to establish my legal career"
:lol:
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:53 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:What if you were born in the area but moved as a young child? Alternatively, what if you don't have strong ties but you would really actually like to live there? How would you pitch that to make it believable? Just try your hardest to sound sincere?

I'm asking from the perspective of mass-mailing, not OCI, so advice on things to say in a CL would be good too. TYIA guys <3


This is based largely on my OCI experience, but FWIW, I snagged CBs in places I had never been in the midwest and had no real ties to.
1) Identify in 2-3 sentences why you want to live there, beyond what the local tourism board says (have you ever visited, relatives there, college roommate from there, etc?). If all you've got is "I love Disney, so I really want to live in Orlando" I guess you've got to go with that. Frankly, if there was a city you really wanted to live in, and were nervous about your ties, I'd genuinely consider booking a quick weekend trip just so you can drop in some fresh stories about the place.

2) Identify any NU or other ties to the firm (former summers, current associates, etc). Reach out, phone call, email whatevs. Being able to honestly say "I talked to one of my good friends here, who is from Orlando, and he confirmed what I thought about what a great fit it is for me" goes a long way

3) While secondary firms will almost always ask, MAKE SURE YOU LET THEM KNOW THAT Orlando is the place for you. Usually secondary markets will try to sell the work life balance thing (we still do big interesting work, but I get to coach my kids little league, etc.), don't talk about how you like that about them, but do talk about how having a broader perspective, being able to see your kids (dog, whatever) matters to you. Talk about the weather, the seasons, the culture, whatever it is that makes you think that place is the happiest place on earth. Don't hold back on this.

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:53 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:Last year I was told that for secondary markets the NU name carries more weight than any specific GPA. What secondary firms tend to care about is that you really want to be in that area and that you're not going to drop them if you get a major market offer. Both the questions I got from secondary midwest firms and the CBs I received bore that out. For secondary market firms coming to campus, you can bank on the fact that they want to hire someone from NU, they're not just wasting their money to get to see the lake. While of course grades still matter, it's nowhere near as important as ties and having a very specific and solid answer to the "Why do you want to live/work here (Denver, Seattle, Phoenix, Milwaukee, Indy, etc.)?" question.

I love this. I love you. Basically this made my day. :P


I live to serve :)

User avatar
lgleye
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby lgleye » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:42 pm

.
Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby Samara » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:50 pm

lgleye wrote:
Samara wrote:
lgleye wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about your marketability in Portland or Denver. Relative of mine, an NU alumnus, targeted them during his OCI year. He told me that NU kicks ass there, without any real competition from DU or CU, no matter what their GPA's. He's now in Denver now, happy as a clam. Of course, you should know that his motivation for settling there is that he'd "never work in CA" (just hates the state)

When did he do OCI?

2011. Also from what he told me, the OCS was actually helpful then.

Back when Bill Chamberlain was still there...

echooo23
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:29 pm

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby echooo23 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:04 pm

Icculus wrote:
echooo23 wrote:I want to go to Lavender Law, which is 8/22-24. Obviously, this conflicts with the last two days of OCI. Will this be a problem? Sorry if I sound stupid - I don't know how OCI works!


If you end up with interviews those days you do not miss them. Really, you should not be missing any part of OCI for any reason, not to mention some firms schedule CBs super quickly and you may need those days for that.


What is the likelihood that a screener or CB will be scheduled for the last 2 days of OCI? Of course I know how important OCI is. I ask because I know two people who got SAs (then offers) through Lavender Law - one with a V10 and the other V50. So I feel like going to Lav Law will be worth the time/cost/effort, if I have no screeners or CBs during that time.

User avatar
D-hops
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby D-hops » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:11 pm

echooo23 wrote:
Icculus wrote:
echooo23 wrote:I want to go to Lavender Law, which is 8/22-24. Obviously, this conflicts with the last two days of OCI. Will this be a problem? Sorry if I sound stupid - I don't know how OCI works!


If you end up with interviews those days you do not miss them. Really, you should not be missing any part of OCI for any reason, not to mention some firms schedule CBs super quickly and you may need those days for that.


What is the likelihood that a screener or CB will be scheduled for the last 2 days of OCI? Of course I know how important OCI is. I ask because I know two people who got SAs (then offers) through Lavender Law - one with a V10 and the other V50. So I feel like going to Lav Law will be worth the time/cost/effort, if I have no screeners or CBs during that time.


You have control over your CB schedule, so just don't schedule an interview in that time. I think Symplicity gives you an opportunity to check to see what firms are interviewing on certain days (but it has been a while so I can't remember) so you may be able to modify your bid list accordingly.

In the end, Lav Law is going to put you in front of tons of employers, last 2 days of OCI probably less. You can always drop the interviews in the add/drop period if you think Lav Law will be better for your employment prospects.

echooo23
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:29 pm

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby echooo23 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:22 pm

D-hops wrote:
echooo23 wrote:
Icculus wrote:
echooo23 wrote:I want to go to Lavender Law, which is 8/22-24. Obviously, this conflicts with the last two days of OCI. Will this be a problem? Sorry if I sound stupid - I don't know how OCI works!


If you end up with interviews those days you do not miss them. Really, you should not be missing any part of OCI for any reason, not to mention some firms schedule CBs super quickly and you may need those days for that.


What is the likelihood that a screener or CB will be scheduled for the last 2 days of OCI? Of course I know how important OCI is. I ask because I know two people who got SAs (then offers) through Lavender Law - one with a V10 and the other V50. So I feel like going to Lav Law will be worth the time/cost/effort, if I have no screeners or CBs during that time.


You have control over your CB schedule, so just don't schedule an interview in that time. I think Symplicity gives you an opportunity to check to see what firms are interviewing on certain days (but it has been a while so I can't remember) so you may be able to modify your bid list accordingly.

In the end, Lav Law is going to put you in front of tons of employers, last 2 days of OCI probably less. You can always drop the interviews in the add/drop period if you think Lav Law will be better for your employment prospects.
'

Thanks!!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273141
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:51 pm

If anyone has any insight on how to structure my bidlist, don't be shy ;)

3.45, secondary journal, targeting NY/SF+SV; this is how I've got the first 20 or so ranked.

1. Wilson (SF)
2. Cooley(SF)
3. Gunderson(SF)
4. Kaye Scholer (NY)
5. Omelveny(SF)
6. Fenwick & West(SF)
7. Allen & Overy(NY)
8. Foley & Lardner(SF)
9. Cahill Gordon(NY)
10. Fried Frank(NY)
11. White & Case(NY)
12. Proskauer Rose(NY)
13. Linklaters(NY)
14. Fitzpatrick Cella
15. Milbank(NY)
16. Dechert (NY)
17. Schiff Hardin (SF)
18. Chadbourne & Parke (NY)
19. Alston & Bird (NY)
20. Cadwalader(NY)
21. Pillsbury (SF)




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.