NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:29 pm

bk1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did I see that we can put our future journals on our mass-mail resumes? How should that be listed?

Journal of Legal Stuff and Things, 2013-2014 academic year. Staff Member

Yes. Fixed.

tyty

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:46 pm

What have you done today to improve your odds of graduating employed?

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:57 pm

IAFG wrote:What have you done today to improve your odds of graduating employed?

I kind of want to write this over my mirror as a reminder.

I guess I came to work today. That's something, right?

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:52 pm

IAFG wrote:What have you done today to improve your odds of graduating employed?

Scheduled a networking meeting and polished a cover letter. The boulder is one more step up the mountainside.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:51 pm

Do you guys find that it's taking you forever to do cover letters? I'm having a hard time coming up with unique things to say about each firm.

I want to jump in front of a train.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:53 pm

mr.hands wrote:Do you guys find that it's taking you forever to do cover letters? I'm having a hard time coming up with unique things to say about each firm.

I want to jump in front of a train.

Yup.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts on this as the top 25 firms for my bid list?

3.4x, secondary journal, good work experience

All Chicago, not in order (because I'm not sure how to order them):

BAKER & MCKENZIE LLP
BRYAN CAVE LLP
CHAPMAN & CUTLER LLP
CLARK HILL
DLA PIPER LLP
DRINKER BIDDLE & REATH LLP
FOLEY & LARDNER LLP
GOLDBERG KOHN LTD
HOLLAND & KNIGHT LLP
JENNER & BLOCK LLP
JONES DAY
KATTEN MUCHIN ROSENMAN LLP
KIRKLAND & ELLIS LLP
LATHAM & WATKINS LLP
LOCKE LORD BISSELL & LIDDELL LLP
MAYER BROWN LLP
MCDERMOTT WILL & EMERY LLP
MCGUIREWOODS LLP
PIRCHER NICHOLS & MEEKS
QUARLES & BRADY LLP
SCHIFF HARDIN LLP
SKADDEN ARPS SLATE MEAGHER & FLOM LLP
THOMPSON COBURN LLP
VEDDER PRICE KAUFMAN & KAMMHOLZ PC
WINSTON & STRAWN LLP

Why would you bid on Quarles Brady, Thompson Coburn, and Clark Hill, but not Reed Smith?

Roll Fizzlebeef

Postby Roll Fizzlebeef » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:05 am

Sorry, Im a little late to the conversation but regarding mass mailing firms coming to oci:
1.) Is it already too late?
2.) is the point to secure an interview pre oci or when they come to oci? I only ask because the markets Im bidding on aren't exactly close, so I don't want to ask for interviews I end up not being able to get to.

Or maybe Im missing something else entirely. Apologies for the ignorance!

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:22 am

Roll Fizzlebeef wrote:Sorry, Im a little late to the conversation but regarding mass mailing firms coming to oci:
1.) Is it already too late?
2.) is the point to secure an interview pre oci or when they come to oci? I only ask because the markets Im bidding on aren't exactly close, so I don't want to ask for interviews I end up not being able to get to.

Or maybe Im missing something else entirely. Apologies for the ignorance!

1) Nope
2) Outside of OCI, but it could be before or after. Also I thought TCR was to not mass mail firms coming to OCI, but to bid them and then contact them after OCI if you didn't get them via the lottery and say "I didn't get an intvw with you even though I bid on you, is there any way you could squeeze me in?"

Roll Fizzlebeef

Postby Roll Fizzlebeef » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:29 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:1) Nope
2) Outside of OCI, but it could be before or after. Also I thought TCR was to not mass mail firms coming to OCI, but to bid them and then contact them after OCI if you didn't get them via the lottery and say "I didn't get an intvw with you even though I bid on you, is there any way you could squeeze me in?"

Yay! And what I understood from Icculus and bk on page 5 was to send prior to bidding on the off chance that you get an interview and save a bid.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:53 am

Roll Fizzlebeef wrote:

Yay! And what I understood from Icculus and bk on page 5 was to send prior to bidding on the off chance that you get an interview and save a bid.

Either way works, but I do know several people who managed to get an interview this way and save a bid. YMMV.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:09 am

Icculus wrote:
Roll Fizzlebeef wrote:

Either way works, but I do know several people who managed to get an interview this way and save a bid. YMMV.

There's no downside other than time and effort, right? Worst case scenario is that they will tell you to wait until OCI?

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:18 am

just do oci, you'll be fine. :twisted:

(srsly doe, mass mail all the things)

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:51 am

Samara wrote:
Icculus wrote:
Roll Fizzlebeef wrote:

There's no downside other than time and effort, right? Worst case scenario is that they will tell you to wait until OCI?

Yup.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:36 pm

How deep in the bidding will Chicago firms last? 20? 25?

Basically, at which point should I switch to NYC so as not to waste bids?

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:24 pm

Samara wrote:How deep in the bidding will Chicago firms last? 20? 25?

I got my last Chicago firm at 16, picked up 1 or 2 through sign-ups. Hit all the Chi firm's hospitality suites, got nada there, mass-mailed firms I missed, also nada.

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:02 pm

Supposing one's dead set on City X and would not work elsewhere: worth using up low bids on that city, so can include in later conversations the fact that one bid on them?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:28 pm

basilseal wrote:Supposing one's dead set on City X and would not work elsewhere: worth using up low bids on that city, so can include in later conversations the fact that one bid on them?

Why not?

terriers

Postby terriers » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:13 pm

JV question here, but I've noticed that a lot of firms have online application sites (as opposed to just e-mailing your stuff to the recruiting attorney). Is it kosher to just go through the online app and is that what the firms would prefer? I just have this vision of my resume/transcript/cover letter going into a massive inbox that nobody reads.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:28 pm

terriers wrote:JV question here, but I've noticed that a lot of firms have online application sites (as opposed to just e-mailing your stuff to the recruiting attorney). Is it kosher to just go through the online app and is that what the firms would prefer? I just have this vision of my resume/transcript/cover letter going into a massive inbox that nobody reads.

If they have an application site, use that imo. But your fear that it won't get read should apply with just as much force to the application sites.

terriers

Postby terriers » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:32 pm

bk1 wrote:
terriers wrote:JV question here, but I've noticed that a lot of firms have online application sites (as opposed to just e-mailing your stuff to the recruiting attorney). Is it kosher to just go through the online app and is that what the firms would prefer? I just have this vision of my resume/transcript/cover letter going into a massive inbox that nobody reads.

If they have an application site, use that imo. But your fear that it won't get read should apply with just as much force to the application sites.

Yup, that's what I meant (maybe slightly unclear in original post)...that the app site will just redirect the app to a huge inbox as opposed to actually sending it to a person where you know it will show up in their personal e-mail. Oh well, probably six one way half a dozen the other anyways.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:48 pm

terriers wrote:Yup, that's what I meant (maybe slightly unclear in original post)...that the app site will just redirect the app to a huge inbox as opposed to actually sending it to a person where you know it will show up in their personal e-mail. Oh well, probably six one way half a dozen the other anyways.

My point was more that unsolicited applications (which mass mails effectively are whether they are through a website or through an email) get aggressively binned. Recruiting departments just can't deal with all of them without using sorting mechanisms to trash most of them. It probably doesn't matter either way but I would lean towards using their site if they have one.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:48 pm

Last I got last year was McDermott at 17.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:51 pm

Flips88 wrote:

Last I got last year was McDermott at 17.

If I put all my target market (Portland, Denver, Seattle) firms lower than 15-ish so as to ensure getting some "backup" Chicago firms, would I still get them?

skers

Postby skers » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:43 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
IAFG wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:"Mass mailing" doesn't take long when you can count the firms on your fingers.

Then add more markets. Portland firms aren't going to like you much better after you spend 2L summer RAing. Just because you summer in NY doesn't mean you have to work in NY.

Try not to ruin your lives right now kiddos.

I can claim at least semi-convincing ties to Portland, Denver, Seattle, and the Bay Area. I can easily fit basically ALL of Portland and Denver in a bidlist that is still 3/4 Chicago. Should I really try to squish Seattle and the Bay Area in there too? Other people are going to be bidding SF/SV pretty high, where I was planning on using most of my higher bids for Chicago.

Denver is a very weak/small market. The biggest summer class is something like 5-6 kids. It's an uphill climb coming from anywhere that isn't CU/DU top 10% and you'll be competing with CCN people with great grades. Add more markets. Never hurts to send a letter eh?

Return to “Legal Employment”