NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
pisagua

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby pisagua » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:19 pm

+1

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:35 pm

lgleye wrote:This might sound obvious, but just want to make sure..... once we finish on Smplicfity, ordering and re-ordering our bids for the umpteenth time, is therea "SUBMIT BIDs" or "UPLOAD BID LIST" button to press or do we simply wait for July 30th to roll around, when the system automatically scoops them up?

Whatever you have in the system at the close is the bids that will be submitted. You can make changes up until the deadline but changes in the last few minutes may be hit or miss in terms of whether they make it in (at least that was the warning we got).

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:17 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:50 pm

I hope that those of you who intend to mass mail are spending more time on drafting cover letters than deciding the ordering of your bid list.

terriers

Postby terriers » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:10 am

How detailed should cover letters be? I thought about doing one for each geographical region I'm applying to and will maybe then add in a sentence about each firm although it honestly seems like tweaking each one could get annoying pretty quickly.

Firms must be getting hundreds of apps though, I'm curious if they spend any time on the cover letter at all or if they just go straight through to school and GPA.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:58 am

IAFG wrote:I hope that those of you who intend to mass mail are spending more time on drafting cover letters than deciding the ordering of your bid list.

Cover letters were my afternoon today. Haven't even thought about my bid list yet. Mine will be pretty simple: Chicago firms least picky about GPA + everything in my two smaller target markets because there just aren't that many. :P

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:37 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
IAFG wrote:I hope that those of you who intend to mass mail are spending more time on drafting cover letters than deciding the ordering of your bid list.

Cover letters were my afternoon today. Haven't even thought about my bid list yet. Mine will be pretty simple: Chicago firms least picky about GPA + everything in my two smaller target markets because there just aren't that many. :P

This sounds like a recipe for OCI disaster.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:50 am

bk1 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Well, the GPA-pickier Chicago firms wouldn't want me anyway, so what would you suggest? I would rather go bankrupt go back to my old job than work in NYC. My markets are Portland and Denver, btw. I might throw in some SF/SV just for fun in the extra spots.

Dave Diamond says my plan should be ok (because we all know OCS is always right, lol :P ).

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:52 am

Firm recruiting managers should not be allowed to have gender-ambiguous first names.

Marti is a chick, right?

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:51 am

bk1 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

I tend to agree with bk on this assessment, but if you really hate the idea of NYC and absolutely refuse to work there at least you are already mass mailing.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:10 am

Icculus wrote:
bk1 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

I tend to agree with bk on this assessment, but if you really hate the idea of NYC and absolutely refuse to work there at least you are already mass mailing.

"Mass mailing" doesn't take long when you can count the firms on your fingers.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:32 am

but so many of the jerbs are on nyc x_x

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:48 am

For an incoming NU transfer with ties only to Chicago, would a 7:3 ratio [Chicago:NYC] in the top ten, and then 5:5 in the next ten make sense, or is that too aggressively NYC?

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:For an incoming NU transfer with ties only to Chicago, would a 7:3 ratio [Chicago:NYC] in the top ten, and then 5:5 in the next ten make sense, or is that too aggressively NYC?

Where do you want to work? What were your grades like at your last school? Those two pieces of information are important when making a bid list.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:58 am

rinkrat19 wrote:"Mass mailing" doesn't take long when you can count the firms on your fingers.

Then add more markets. Portland firms aren't going to like you much better after you spend 2L summer RAing. Just because you summer in NY doesn't mean you have to work in NY.

Try not to ruin your lives right now kiddos.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:05 pm

IAFG wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:"Mass mailing" doesn't take long when you can count the firms on your fingers.

Then add more markets. Portland firms aren't going to like you much better after you spend 2L summer RAing. Just because you summer in NY doesn't mean you have to work in NY.

I can claim at least semi-convincing ties to Portland, Denver, Seattle, and the Bay Area. I can easily fit basically ALL of Portland and Denver in a bidlist that is still 3/4 Chicago. Should I really try to squish Seattle and the Bay Area in there too? Other people are going to be bidding SF/SV pretty high, where I was planning on using most of my higher bids for Chicago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:14 pm

Icculus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For an incoming NU transfer with ties only to Chicago, would a 7:3 ratio [Chicago:NYC] in the top ten, and then 5:5 in the next ten make sense, or is that too aggressively NYC?

Where do you want to work? What were your grades like at your last school? Those two pieces of information are important when making a bid list.

I want to work in Chicago, but if I strike out I wouldn't mind working in NYC. Grades were top 20% at a T25 in the Midwest, wrote-on onto L. Rev. I'm above the grade cutoffs of the Chicago firms that do OCI at my old school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:18 pm

Why can't we put journal selection on our OCI resumes? Is it just the same things as no GPA, so firms can't make their decision before the screener?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:19 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
IAFG wrote:

I can claim at least semi-convincing ties to Portland, Denver, Seattle, and the Bay Area. I can easily fit basically ALL of Portland and Denver in a bidlist that is still 3/4 Chicago. Should I really try to squish Seattle and the Bay Area in there too? Other people are going to be bidding SF/SV pretty high, where I was planning on using most of my higher bids for Chicago.

I am talking about your mass mail campaign, not bidding

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:26 pm

IAFG wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
IAFG wrote:

I am talking about your mass mail campaign, not bidding

Oh. :oops: Well, sure, I can mass mail all over the damn place. Working on it!

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Why can't we put journal selection on our OCI resumes? Is it just the same things as no GPA, so firms can't make their decision before the screener?

yup, journal at least LR is a pretty good proxy for grades most of the time

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:13 pm

Any thoughts on this as the top 25 firms for my bid list?

3.4x, secondary journal, good work experience

All Chicago, not in order (because I'm not sure how to order them):

BAKER & MCKENZIE LLP
BRYAN CAVE LLP
CHAPMAN & CUTLER LLP
CLARK HILL
DLA PIPER LLP
DRINKER BIDDLE & REATH LLP
FOLEY & LARDNER LLP
GOLDBERG KOHN LTD
HOLLAND & KNIGHT LLP
JENNER & BLOCK LLP
JONES DAY
KATTEN MUCHIN ROSENMAN LLP
KIRKLAND & ELLIS LLP
LATHAM & WATKINS LLP
LOCKE LORD BISSELL & LIDDELL LLP
MAYER BROWN LLP
MCDERMOTT WILL & EMERY LLP
MCGUIREWOODS LLP
PIRCHER NICHOLS & MEEKS
QUARLES & BRADY LLP
SCHIFF HARDIN LLP
SKADDEN ARPS SLATE MEAGHER & FLOM LLP
THOMPSON COBURN LLP
VEDDER PRICE KAUFMAN & KAMMHOLZ PC
WINSTON & STRAWN LLP

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any thoughts on this as the top 25 firms for my bid list?

3.4x, secondary journal, good work experience

All Chicago, not in order (because I'm not sure how to order them):

BAKER & MCKENZIE LLP
BRYAN CAVE LLP
CHAPMAN & CUTLER LLP
CLARK HILL
DLA PIPER LLP
DRINKER BIDDLE & REATH LLP
FOLEY & LARDNER LLP
GOLDBERG KOHN LTD
HOLLAND & KNIGHT LLP
JENNER & BLOCK LLP
JONES DAY
KATTEN MUCHIN ROSENMAN LLP
KIRKLAND & ELLIS LLP
LATHAM & WATKINS LLP
LOCKE LORD BISSELL & LIDDELL LLP
MAYER BROWN LLP
MCDERMOTT WILL & EMERY LLP
MCGUIREWOODS LLP
PIRCHER NICHOLS & MEEKS
QUARLES & BRADY LLP
SCHIFF HARDIN LLP
SKADDEN ARPS SLATE MEAGHER & FLOM LLP
THOMPSON COBURN LLP
VEDDER PRICE KAUFMAN & KAMMHOLZ PC
WINSTON & STRAWN LLP

Do you have a transactional or litigation preference? Order by a combo of class size and GPA range. With a 3.4 you've got to pick your poison a little bit, keeping firms with decent size classes, but also firms with more generous GPAs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:04 pm

Did I see that we can put our future journals on our mass-mail resumes? How should that be listed?

Journal of Legal Stuff and Things, 2013-2014 academic year. :?:

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did I see that we can put our future journals on our mass-mail resumes? How should that be listed?

Journal of Legal Stuff and Things, 2013-2014 academic year. Staff Member

Yes. Fixed.

Return to “Legal Employment”