NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
franklyscarlet

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby franklyscarlet » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:58 am

Samara wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:I had a really quick answer to that jungle question in my head. I'm not sure what the hell that says about me other than "this girl is a weirdo who knows too much about birds of paradise."

I can't even think of a jungle animal for my letter. I guess I would fail that interview.

I'd be the bird that starts with my letter. Bright and colorful, stands out despite small stature, learns quickly. BOOM. (have I mentioned I have a weird love of behavioral interview questions that allow you to draft super douchebag answers? I swear I'm not really that corny IRL).

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:45 pm

Samara wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:I had a really quick answer to that jungle question in my head. I'm not sure what the hell that says about me other than "this girl is a weirdo who knows too much about birds of paradise."

I can't even think of a jungle animal for my letter. I guess I would fail that interview.

Depending on how strictly you stick to "jungle" I don't think there are any.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:04 pm

Me too, but only because the first letter of my name is spectacularly easy and it's an animal I would actually want to be.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:10 pm

I'm blanking on an animal for my letter. Wouldn't have thought of scarlett's (same letter). The only ones I can think of are definitely not from the jungle. (ocean and mountains)

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:07 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

Me too, but only because the first letter of my name is spectacularly easy and it's an animal I would actually want to be.

The friend who was asked this has a name that starts with 'J'. He responded "jaguar" and the interviewer argued with him that jaguar isn't a jungle animal.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:44 pm

Icculus wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

The friend who was asked this has a name that starts with 'J'. He responded "jaguar" and the interviewer argued with him that jaguar isn't a jungle animal.

Honestly, a jaguar is probably the first animal I think of when I try to think of a "jungle animal."

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:45 pm

My worst experience last year was a transnational partner who 3 minutes into my interview heard I was leaning litigation and began perusing his own firms recruiting material. He only piped up to comment about dead bodies being pulled out of the lake. Kinew that one was a ding walking out the door.

The more emotionally crushing one was the screener with the hiring partner who thanked me for my candor in the interview (when he asked people to drop the bullshit), said he really really enjoyed our time, and said he'd see what he could do in getting me a call back (my #s were well above cutoffs). That was the only screener I walked out feeling like I really nailed. Ding that night.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:53 am

homestyle28 wrote:
The more emotionally crushing one was the screener with the hiring partner who thanked me for my candor in the interview (when he asked people to drop the bullshit), said he really really enjoyed our time, and said he'd see what he could do in getting me a call back (my #s were well above cutoffs). That was the only screener I walked out feeling like I really nailed. Ding that night.

I had nothing this bad, but this is the total nightmare interview. I had something similar and it was a bit crushing. Best advice: don't take it personally.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:11 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:44 pm

lgleye wrote:Damed depressing. Any of you guys had the flip side (ie., screening where you were grilled and walked out feeling ding, but ended up with a CBN/offer instead) ? We need to knw that not all screeners are assholes.

For one interview, I heard laughter and good conversation going on in the interview room before my interview. When that kid left and my interview started, it was awful. I had no rapport with the guy and he stared at the clock the whole time. When the kid after me finally mercifully knocked on the door I was so happy. It felt like hours. Yet I got a callback somehow.

Meanwhile, I had multiple interviews that I thought went really well that didn't turn out the way I hoped. You can never tell and you definitely can't take it personally.

But that goes for a lot of law school and this career generally.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:01 am

Here a OCI Bidding hypo:
Say that I am targeting Market #1 with most of my bids. I also place a few bids for Market #2. After CB’s, I’m busted on Market #1, but at the same time, Firm X (which dinged me in Market #1) gives me an offer.
If I accept the offer for my 2L SA, how possible is it to apply for Firm A in my original market (#1)? Do you think that the firm will conclude that I accepted the offer under false prentenses?

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Here a OCI Bidding hypo:
Say that I am targeting Market #1 with most of my bids. I also place a few bids for Market #2. After CB’s, I’m busted on Market #1, but at the same time, Firm X (which dinged me in Market #1) gives me an offer.
If I accept the offer for my 2L SA, how possible is it to apply for Firm A in my original market (#1)? Do you think that the firm will conclude that I accepted the offer under false prentenses?

This confuses me. You are getting way ahead of yourself and I am not entirely sure what you are asking.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:57 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:33 pm

Most firms will not let you interview during OCI at two different offices. If one let's you and gives you an offer at the least preferable office for you, then you will probably need a few years to transfer since as an SA you have no leverage to ask them to move you.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:51 am

Pokemon wrote:

Most firms will not let you interview during OCI at two different offices. If one let's you and gives you an offer at the least preferable office for you, then you will probably need a few years to transfer since as an SA you have no leverage to ask them to move you.

The flipside is that there are some firms whose offices are really well connected, so they'll ask if there are other offices you're interested in and will consider that. I also know of at least one summer who worked in Chicago but asked for (and received) an offer in NYC.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:53 pm

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:01 pm

lgleye wrote:This has to do with Resume Drops......
I called the recruiting dept. of a firm in my market because I didn't see them listed as a participant at our annual OCI, despite having been so in past years. They confirmed their absence this year, but said that they had set up a resume drop that should be accessible NOW on our Simplicity account.
Does anyone know where this would be? On Simplicity, I checked under both the OCI tab and the Employers tab, but can't find anything.

Look under jobs/resume requests -> CSM jobs

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:07 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:48 pm

Finally, OCI bidding opens in a week. Anyone know when it closes?

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Finally, OCI bidding opens in a week. Anyone know when it closes?

July 30th I believe

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Finally, OCI bidding opens in a week. Anyone know when it closes?

paging soj. need to out this individual for abuse of anon

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:25 pm

splitsplat wrote:

paging soj. need to out this individual for abuse of anon

:P sometimes i feel like TLS is becoming more and more like this:

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:06 am

I went through OCI last year. It was not great for me, but I learned a lot in the process. A ton of 3ls helped me through the process, and I would like to do the same for the next generation. If you want a second opinion on your bidlist, or at any time throughout the process, feel free to pm me.

LHLH

Postby LHLH » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:45 am

When looking at NALP forms to determine offer rates, what does it mean when there are fewer SAs "considered" for an offer than there are SAs on the form?

Example: Jenner says they had 15 SAs in 2012, considered 12 for offers, and extended 12 offers. Is there any difference between this and a firm that says they had 15 SAs, considered 15, and gave 12 offers? Or is this just a way for firms to make less than 100% offer rates look like 100% at first glance?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:54 am

LHLH wrote:When looking at NALP forms to determine offer rates, what does it mean when there are fewer SAs "considered" for an offer than there are SAs on the form?

Example: Jenner says they had 15 SAs in 2012, considered 12 for offers, and extended 12 offers. Is there any difference between this and a firm that says they had 15 SAs, considered 15, and gave 12 offers? Or is this just a way for firms to make less than 100% offer rates look like 100% at first glance?

I'm guessing the 3 were 1Ls and people who already have clerkships lined up.

Return to “Legal Employment”