NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:23 pm

I am sure I speak for others in writing that I am a bit hesitant to write a cheery post as people are still waiting to hear back and there is no need to rub it anyone's face. Plenty more offers will likely go out; for the record - I did 25+ OCI interviews, had two callbacks and one offer...

(ETA: my screener to callback ratio was directly attributable to my low GPA in case anyone is wondering...)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am sure I speak for others in writing that I am a bit hesitant to write a cheery post as people are still waiting to hear back and there is no need to rub it anyone's face...

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:29 pm

I definitely know people who are deciding between offers. It seems like most people--at least the people I've come into contact with--are just being really chill and don't mention it unless you ask them directly. OTOH, I also definitely know people with no offers and just a couple of callbacks.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:41 pm

Every cycle I have tracked, lots of people are expressing surprise and disappointment for how they did relative to their GPA and school. It says less about how this year has gone and more about how people just don't get that the job cycle is nothing like the admissions cycle.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:12 am

Samara wrote:It seems like people are a little more sensitive this year to over sharing their success. I wouldn't read too much into what is or isn't being posted here.

I hope so b/c our 2011 and 2012 classes placed 65-70% into BigLaw, and should be doing the same this year. But you'd never know it by looking at this thread.
Also, "a little more sensitive" doesn't quite cut it. People (except the assholes) are almost universally mum about the subject. I went to a recent bar review with 7 friends, 3 who I know have offers. Everyone was either nervously evasive about their success, or anxiously awaiting waiting for post-CB results. The evening sucked, and I'm tempted to stay away until this blows over.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Samara wrote:It seems like people are a little more sensitive this year to over sharing their success. I wouldn't read too much into what is or isn't being posted here.

I hope so b/c our 2011 and 2012 classes placed 65-70% into BigLaw. But you'd never know it by looking at this thread.
Also, "a little more sensitive" doesn't quite cut it. People (except the assholes) are almost universally mum about the subject. I went to a recent bar review with 7 friends, 3 who I know have offers. Everyone was either nervously evasive about their success, or anxiously awaiting waiting for post-CB results. The evening sucked, and I'm tempted to stay away until this blows over.

haha, that's probably a good idea.

Keep in mind that there is still plenty of time for offers to go out. I know of people who are still going on callbacks, not to mention waiting on offers. Also, while we may have placed ~65% into biglaw the last two years (IIRC that's a bit high, but w/e), a substantial portion of those jobs were acquired outside of the OCI process.

Keep the faith, brother, and do you.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I hope so b/c our 2011 and 2012 classes placed 65-70% into BigLaw, and should be doing the same this year. But you'd never know it by looking at this thread.

Damn, who are you hanging out with? I have some friends who have offers and some who don't, but I've never had a night ruined because of it. We don't sit around and talk endlessly about it, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:40 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Damn, who are you hanging out with? I have some friends who have offers and some who don't, but I've never had a night ruined because of it. We don't sit around and talk endlessly about it, though.

I'm not saying that we don't want to talk about it. I'm saying that, for that evening, half of us REALLY wanted to talk about it, and slap each other's backs in relief and joy. It's just that we were also cognizant of the fear and frustration still faced by the other four people.
What makes it even more uncomfortable is that, statistically for our group of 8, they'll be only 1.5 more of us who will be getting offers.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:24 pm

Just so you all know, there is still plenty of time for offers to go out. Looking through my email account, I received the offer I ended up accepting at the end of September. This is not to say that people who have yet to receive an offer should stop mass mailing/hustling/etc., but rather is to give you a realistic time line of when offers go out. Not only that, I had friends who accepted offers they received in October.

Also,
Anonymous User wrote:I hope so b/c our 2011 and 2012 classes placed 65-70% into BigLaw, and should be doing the same this year. But you'd never know it by looking at this thread.
seems really high. I think NU puts about 60% into Biglaw and as Samara indicated it is not all through OCI.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:Damn, who are you hanging out with? I have some friends who have offers and some who don't, but I've never had a night ruined because of it. We don't sit around and talk endlessly about it, though.

I'm not saying that we don't want to talk about it. I'm saying that, for that evening, half of us REALLY wanted to talk about it, and slap each other's backs in relief and joy. It's just that we were also cognizant of the fear and frustration still faced by the other four people.
What makes it even more uncomfortable is that, statistically for our group of 8, they'll be only 1.5 more of us who will be getting offers.

just seems like y'all aren't that close if it's causing problems. in my closest circle of friends, we are pretty open about congratulating dudes that are fortunate enough to have offers and being supportive of those still hustling.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:00 am

Pretty quiet. Either there is no movement or ppl getting good news are quiet about it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Pretty quiet. Either there is no movement or ppl getting good news are quiet about it.

Or perhaps a bit of both, young grasshopper.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Pretty quiet. Either there is no movement or ppl getting good news are quiet about it.

Very appropriate, considering it was like fucking kungfu getting offers, much harder (bloodier) than I expected.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Very appropriate, considering it was like fucking kungfu getting offers, much harder (bloodier) than I expected.

You ain't never lied. It's hard out here for JD.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:08 pm

For those out there still waiting for success, in addition to massmailing, continue to check the resume drops ('CSM jobs) on Simplicity b/c they're still coming in (example....Foley is still looking for people in Chi).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:32 pm

Does anyone know anything about mid-law CBs? I have one coming up and I noticed it starts much later in the morning than a typical biglaw CB (and there has been no mention of lunch). Are they just shorter, but generally the same format as biglaw CBs or are there other differences I should be prepared for? Had a pretty rough time of it at OCI, so any advice specific to mid-law (if there is such advice?) that hasn't already been covered in this thread would be very much appreciated. I need all the help I can get...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know anything about mid-law CBs? I have one coming up and I noticed it starts much later in the morning than a typical biglaw CB (and there has been no mention of lunch). Are they just shorter, but generally the same format as biglaw CBs or are there other differences I should be prepared for? Had a pretty rough time of it at OCI, so any advice specific to mid-law (if there is such advice?) that hasn't already been covered in this thread would be very much appreciated. I need all the help I can get...

By midlaw, are we talking about firms outside vault? if within vault but with size 200-350, I had 2 CB's. Both started about 11 am, one had a lunch. My impression is that, on the surface, they talked about the same non-legal stuff, your non-law experience and interests, as in biglaw CB's, but aside from exhibitting confident calmness, midlaw firms seem to expect expect you to proactively talk (or steer the conversation towards) about how your skill set would be right for the firm.

I certainly used more of my research facts at midlaw CB's. Otheerwise, the most important rule applies...RELAX and ENJOY the experience. It might help to keep in mind that they don't get as many T14's interviewing as at biglaw, which seem to take us for granted.. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those out there still waiting for success, in addition to massmailing, continue to check the resume drops ('CSM jobs) on Simplicity b/c they're still coming in (example....Foley is still looking for people in Chi).

Really?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For those out there still waiting for success, in addition to massmailing, continue to check the resume drops ('CSM jobs) on Simplicity b/c they're still coming in (example....Foley is still looking for people in Chi).

Really?

Not that poster, but what's so hard to believe about this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:22 pm

Keep your chin up, people. Offers are extended through late October. Also, if you need additional encouragement to massmail, check out this thread: Now that's persistence !!

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=217125

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:24 am

OP here, a few pages back, where I wondered about how NU is doing this cycle, remarking that many friends seemed on edge, more so than last year at this time. At that time, I said that of our group of 8 ppl going to a bar, only 4 of us had offers, and the others left with 1 or 2 CB's.
Now it looks like my concerns were premature, at least for our group of 8: Seven of us now have offers at BigLaw, and 1 has an offer in prestigious federal PI gig. Considereing that most of us are at about median GPA (3.2 - 3.7), it looks like we're beating last year's odds, even though results came in slower than expected. Hope this reflects on the whole NU class.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:01 am

Federal pi gig is striking out unless that person didn't want big law.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:03 am

Anonymous User wrote: Considereing that most of us are at about median GPA (3.2 - 3.7), it looks like we're beating last year's odds, even though results came in slower than expected. Hope this reflects on the whole NU class.

There is a huge difference in that GPA range. And 3.7 is not around median. Someone between 3.5 and 3.7 is usually going to get at least one offer if they bid well and mass mailed. It stats to get way dicier below that. That is not to say someone with a 3.5 or higher won't ever strike out, but that it is more rare.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, a few pages back, where I wondered about how NU is doing this cycle, remarking that many friends seemed on edge, more so than last year at this time. At that time, I said that of our group of 8 ppl going to a bar, only 4 of us had offers, and the others left with 1 or 2 CB's.
Now it looks like my concerns were premature, at least for our group of 8: Seven of us now have offers at BigLaw, and 1 has an offer in prestigious federal PI gig. Considereing that most of us are at about median GPA (3.2 - 3.7), it looks like we're beating last year's odds, even though results came in slower than expected. Hope this reflects on the whole NU class.

3.5+ cannot be considered median bro. that aside, glad to hear about dem offers for everyone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:48 pm

splitsplat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here, a few pages back, where I wondered about how NU is doing this cycle, remarking that many friends seemed on edge, more so than last year at this time. At that time, I said that of our group of 8 ppl going to a bar, only 4 of us had offers, and the others left with 1 or 2 CB's.

3.5+ cannot be considered median bro. that aside, glad to hear about dem offers for everyone.

OP here. Sorry if I insulted anyone with that median range, didn't mean to make the "median" seem broad. Actually, only one of us was at 3.7, the rest being a single 3.57 and sub-3.48's.
So at least 7 of us didn't go into OCI feeling safe at all, especially with forebodings from 3L's urging us to massmail like Hell (btw, thanks). I just wanted to make the point that, considering our stats, we feel really lucky and relieved.
And just to show how OCI is such a crapshoot, the 3.7 was the second-to-last of us to get an offer (3 in one day), and believe me, she is super relieved.

Return to “Legal Employment”