NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
IAFG wrote:IIRC all you have to do to get the mail merge service is sign up with your nlaw email address.
Yeah this is how I've been doing almost all my massmails, I can't even imagine how horrendous it would be without that feature.
What markets have you been doing mass mailings for?
CA, Chi, NY.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:33 pm

Are there still people who have not yet heard back from Weil?? I'm talking about the NY office. I interviwed on the 14th of August on-campus. Radio silence from them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are there still people who have not yet heard back from Weil?? I'm talking about the NY office. I interviwed on the 14th of August on-campus. Radio silence from them.
If you're really interested and you have other call-backs in NY, you can mention that you'll be in town to the legal recruiter at Weil. Apparently it's common to do that...has anyone had success with this though? I haven't tried yet, although I think I might soon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are there still people who have not yet heard back from Weil?? I'm talking about the NY office. I interviwed on the 14th of August on-campus. Radio silence from them.
Same question for Mayer Brown Chicago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
If you're really interested and you have other call-backs in NY, you can mention that you'll be in town to the legal recruiter at Weil. Apparently it's common to do that...has anyone had success with this though? I haven't tried yet, although I think I might soon.
Hmm.. maybe I should do that... I'm just curious to know why I have not heard back from them yet when others have (either CB or ding).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Hmm.. maybe I should do that... I'm just curious to know why I have not heard back from them yet when others have (either CB or ding).
I'm feeling just as curious about SullCrom...At the end of the interview they handed out these sheets saying that if a student is invited for a CB, he/she will receive a phone call in the next few days. So does that mean that if I haven't heard anything--no CB and no email ding--I should assume it's a no? I'm wondering bc I don't want to email the recruiter and look like a fool..."we said WE would be in touch with YOU if we were interested..."

Roll Fizzlebeef

New

Post by Roll Fizzlebeef » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Cause you're not on the top of the list, but not on the bottom? I'm assuming they are seeing who else cancels a callback. It's just like LS admissions. Not an auto-admit, but you don't get an auto-ding either.

Sidenote: If you have offers you'd take, don't forget to cancel CBs you don't really want! Frees up room for others.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:18 pm

Roll Fizzlebeef wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Cause you're not on the top of the list, but not on the bottom? I'm assuming they are seeing who else cancels a callback. It's just like LS admissions. Not an auto-admit, but you don't get an auto-ding either.

Sidenote: If you have offers you'd take, don't forget to cancel CBs you don't really want! Frees up room for others.
Then do you think it's better for me to just wait until they contact me (to offer a CB or ding), or contact them?

Roll Fizzlebeef

New

Post by Roll Fizzlebeef » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Then do you think it's better for me to just wait until they contact me (to offer a CB or ding), or contact them?
I'm no more experienced at this than you, but I don't see why a phone call would hurt. Maybe to let them know you'll be in the area at some point or something, not sure what TCR is. Or an email showing your continued interest, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:23 pm

Just because I don't recall seeing some of these firms mentioned; Jones Day Chi, Winston & Strawn, and Wilkie Farr Ding via email.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:29 pm

Schiff e-mail and letter w/handwritten note. Ding.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:09 pm

Jones Day (Chi) has started making offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:16 pm

Has Jenner & Block made any offers? CB completed this week.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:59 pm

Seward Kissel NY - ding
WilmerHale NY - DING
Perkins Coie - ding

... and I think that wraps up my cycle! Strong finish

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Seward Kissel NY - ding
WilmerHale NY - DING
Perkins Coie - ding

... and I think that wraps up my cycle! Strong finish
If you're being sarcastic, as I think, then I feel for you, dude.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:46 pm

Striking out isn't the end of the world or your legal career. Striking out + being complacent?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:08 pm

Covington ding snail mail. Womp, thought I had a good shot.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:45 pm

So, for the benefit of future viewers, what's the consensus CB/Screeners for us below the 3.7 GPA golden threshold? I'm seeing 1/8 if you're targeting Chi or DC, 1.5/8 for NYC, and 3/8 for TX and CA. Sound about right? This is a lot lower than I expected based on past years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, for the benefit of future viewers, what's the consensus CB/Screeners for us below the 3.7 GPA golden threshold? I'm seeing 1/8 if you're targeting Chi or DC, 1.5/8 for NYC, and 3/8 for TX and CA. Sound about right? This is a lot lower than I expected based on past years.
I don't think there's really enough data to put that together yet. I know people well below 3.7 with zero in chicago and people well below with 5+ in chicago. It's kind of a confusing crapshoot and trying to figure it out at this point isn't terribly helpful.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, for the benefit of future viewers, what's the consensus CB/Screeners for us below the 3.7 GPA golden threshold? I'm seeing 1/8 if you're targeting Chi or DC, 1.5/8 for NYC, and 3/8 for TX and CA. Sound about right? This is a lot lower than I expected based on past years.
There is no consensus. It varies dramatically.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:22 pm

bk1 wrote:
There is no consensus because in that range it is not about grades, it's about a variety of different factors, like interview skills, fit, WE, and other things so it is impossible to figure out. Some people under 3.7 end up with with of CBs and multiple offers, others strike out, but there is no hard and fast rule/ratio. This is not like admissions.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:07 pm

I offered advice prior to OCI, and now I am offering advice in relation to mass mailing... Feel free to PM me for more individualized questions.
If you are going to mass mail:
1) It is not too late
2) Create cover letters and put them on the main body of the e-mail.
3) Create narratives. For example, have a format for NYC Corporate firms (I did this prior to law school, am doing this now, I want to be in NYC bcz of this).
4) Use 3-4 different formats, and then just change firm names/recruiting contact info (found on NALP). For example, have a home-market, litigation cover letter. Then have a home-market, corporate cover letter. Have a region you went to school cover letter. Have a NYC cover letter. Have a practice area cover letter (all I want to do is Tax, or bankruptcy, or employment, and you guys are the best at it and I have already done this--use chambers to find area specific firms) Having such formats can save you a ton of time, while at the same time it makes you sound as if you are sending a personalized e-mail.

Good luck to you all; if OCI did not work out it does not mean that you are out of an SA position if you are not complacent.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:46 pm

bk1 wrote:
+1
I know someone with a 3.8 that struck out, and I also know someone with a 3.3 with over 15 callbacks and multiple offers.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bk1 wrote:
+1
I know someone with a 3.8 that struck out, and I also know someone with a 3.3 with over 15 callbacks and multiple offers.
Exactly. The thing is that the reasons why people get callbacks tend to be correlated. If one firm likes something about you, there is possibility that ten other firms will like the same thing about you. If one firm dislikes something about you, there is a likelihood than ten other firms will dislike that. That is why for some people with good grades, OCI can be miserable, whereas other people have difficulty keeping track of their CBs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:57 am

Anyone get a CB from Wilmer DC?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”