NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:got an unsolicited "we'll let you know when we decide" update from bryan cave. is this standard procedure for them or am i officially on some back-up list?

That's nice. I neither have a CB nor reject nor this unofficial back up list email. I wish they would just, like, acknowledge my existence or something.

Welcome to Biglaw.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Ding from Bryan Cave (email) Alston Bird (snail) and Gunderson (snail). Brutal day.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I didn't get this mass rejection you guys are talking about. But I most definitely did not get a callback. WTF

Does anyone know from past years if K&E has a middle pile which gets decided later - both for CBs and Dings?

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewers for y'all?
Still nothing for me, DP/EZ.

I also haven't heard anything from them yet...

Last year my K&E callback came really late. I think I remember other people getting calls from the woman interviewer out of the pair, and then the next week I got a call from the guy interviewer. I don't think I was in a hold pile because I don't think they had done many CBs yet, just took the guy a while to get around to it.

Keep your fingers crossed, but don't sit around waiting for the phone to ring either. They'll get to it when they get to it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:59 pm

bdubs wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I didn't get this mass rejection you guys are talking about. But I most definitely did not get a callback. WTF

Does anyone know from past years if K&E has a middle pile which gets decided later - both for CBs and Dings?

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewers for y'all?
Still nothing for me, DP/EZ.

I also haven't heard anything from them yet...

Last year my K&E callback came really late. I think I remember other people getting calls from the woman interviewer out of the pair, and then the next week I got a call from the guy interviewer. I don't think I was in a hold pile because I don't think they had done many CBs yet, just took the guy a while to get around to it.

Keep your fingers crossed, but don't sit around waiting for the phone to ring either. They'll get to it when they get to it.

Thanks for letting us know! I haven't heard back from several firms that I know have already given out both CBs and dings, so I've been pretty worried and also impatient! Do you know if Mayer Brown Chicago also sends out their CBs and dings in several waves?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:02 am

baker hostetler and latham snail mail dings
goodwin and paul hastings email dings

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anything from Alston & Bird

Alston (NYC) CB last Thursday (8/22)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:18 pm

Brutal gunning fail over here. I massmailed a major firm in early August after I didn't get them through bidding for OCI. Didn't hear anything, but on their day of interviews, they had a slot open up, so I jumped in. Interview didn't go great, got dinged a few days later...no big deal.

Then, today, I get a call from the firm's recruiting department who had seen my resume from the massmail and wanted to bring me in for a screener. They figured out on the phone with me that I had jumped onto the OCI schedule and been dinged that way, so they had to cancel the screener offer on the phone...ouch. Guess I outsmarted myself.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Brutal gunning fail over here. I massmailed a major firm in early August after I didn't get them through bidding for OCI. Didn't hear anything, but on their day of interviews, they had a slot open up, so I jumped in. Interview didn't go great, got dinged a few days later...no big deal.

Then, today, I get a call from the firm's recruiting department who had seen my resume from the massmail and wanted to bring me in for a screener. They figured out on the phone with me that I had jumped onto the OCI schedule and been dinged that way, so they had to cancel the screener offer on the phone...ouch. Guess I outsmarted myself.

D'oh. At least you have a résumé worth calling over?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:29 pm

IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Brutal gunning fail over here. I massmailed a major firm in early August after I didn't get them through bidding for OCI. Didn't hear anything, but on their day of interviews, they had a slot open up, so I jumped in. Interview didn't go great, got dinged a few days later...no big deal.

D'oh. At least you have a résumé worth calling over?

Haha, that's the best way to look at it, the ironic thing is that my interviewer took a look at my transcript and didn't seem very impressed....the interview went downhill from there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:32 pm

K&E (Chi) e-mail ding, DP/EZ. Check spam.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:K&E (Chi) e-mail ding, DP/EZ. Check spam.

Still nada from RH/CC

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:05 pm

Anyone get CBs from Wilmer DC?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:05 pm

Has anyone heard from Latham NY? Do they only send out snail mail dings? I've yet to receive an email ding, snail mail ding, or CB

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from Latham NY? Do they only send out snail mail dings? I've yet to receive an email ding, snail mail ding, or CB

Same question for Sullivan & Cromwell. Haven't heard anything from them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:11 pm

Marshall Gerstein (Chi IP boutique) CB via email just now

Roll Fizzlebeef

Postby Roll Fizzlebeef » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:19 pm

Slow news day, eh?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:01 pm

Has anyone heard from K&L Gates, either recently or at all? It's been about 2 weeks since they interviewed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anything from Husch Blackwell or Faegre? (Both Chicago)

CB w/Faegre coming up

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any word from Foley or Faegre in Chicago?

Just answered above, but CBs set-up w/Foley and Faegre in Chicago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from:

Baker & McKenzie
Reed Smith
Goldberg Kohn
K&L Gates
Dechert
Locke Lord
Sheppard Mullin
Edwards Wildman

All Chicago.

CB from Reed Smith - haven't heard from GK yet

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks, it's at least nice to know that things are moving. I will say this has been a disappointing/depressing OCI (for me...) I think I bid way to heavily on Chicago without realizing there just aren't as many SA positions open. Only had one NYC OCI screener. Oh well, life moves on.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks, it's at least nice to know that things are moving. I will say this has been a disappointing/depressing OCI (for me...) I think I bid way to heavily on Chicago without realizing there just aren't as many SA positions open. Only had one NYC OCI screener. Oh well, life moves on.

My pleasure, sorry to hear it's been depressing for you. I've done only Chicago and had decent success (but no offers) so far. How many CBs did/do you have?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

My pleasure, sorry to hear it's been depressing for you. I've done only Chicago and had decent success (but no offers) so far. How many CBs did/do you have?

It's been radio silence... No callbacks, and I think my screeners went well. But 3.4 is hurting me for sure.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:30 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
IAFG wrote:IIRC all you have to do to get the mail merge service is sign up with your nlaw email address.

Yeah this is how I've been doing almost all my massmails, I can't even imagine how horrendous it would be without that feature.

What markets have you been doing mass mailings for?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:35 am

Thanks, it's at least nice to know that things are moving. I will say this has been a disappointing/depressing OCI (for me...) I think I bid way to heavily on Chicago without realizing there just aren't as many SA positions open. Only had one NYC OCI screener. Oh well, life moves on.[/quote]

My pleasure, sorry to hear it's been depressing for you. I've done only Chicago and had decent success (but no offers) so far. How many CBs did/do you have?[/quote]

It's been radio silence... No callbacks, and I think my screeners went well. But 3.4 is hurting me for sure.[/quote]

How many Chicago screeners did you have?

Return to “Legal Employment”