NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:19 pm

Shit, I just discovered that OCI happens on the weekend. There's a a memorial services for my grandparents in Nebraska that weekend and I was assuming I could squeeze in a fast trip there and back without screwing myself. :-/

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:20 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Shit, I just discovered that OCI happens on the weekend. There's a a memorial services for my grandparents in Nebraska that weekend and I was assuming I could squeeze in a fast trip there and back without screwing myself. :-/
That sucks, I'm sorry. We do get a day off for CCBA but that's it ):

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:33 pm

Flips88 wrote:Jumping in to be any help that I can.

Journal is dumb and I hate whoever first attached importance to it in the legal hiring world. But the fact is people still care for some reason. I think if you don't do a journal, you should have some fallback extra curricular that you are committed to whether it's trial team, a clinic, volunteering a lot, etc. They want to see that you're active.
So much this. Unless you are doing corporate work. Then I'm pretty sure no one gives a fuck. Do ELC or something.

Fabulist

New

Post by Fabulist » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:17 pm

What's a reasonable time period for callbacks ending? Mid-September?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:19 pm

Fabulist wrote:What's a reasonable time period for callbacks ending? Mid-September?
Depends on your market/grades/where you got the CBs from.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:39 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:42 pm

lgleye wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Shit, I just discovered that OCI happens on the weekend. There's a a memorial services for my grandparents in Nebraska that weekend and I was assuming I could squeeze in a fast trip there and back without screwing myself. :-/
Am I missing something? the only OCI dates I see are 13-15 (Tues-Thurs) and 19-23 (Mon-Fri), with CCBA Diversity on the 16th.
Maybe I'm misinformed, but I was under the impression that OCI went straight through the 13th to the 23rd with a break for CCBA. TBF it's totally possible that I input it into my calendar that way for ease and then forgot that the weekend wasn't included. I'm guessing that Rink has called the Career Services office and confirmed the dates though, because she said she "just discovered" that it happens on the weekend?

I know I would sure appreciate an extra 2 days to get my shit together in the middle of OCI...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:57 pm

I don't think there are interviews on the weekend.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:58 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
lgleye wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
Am I missing something? the only OCI dates I see are 13-15 (Tues-Thurs) and 19-23 (Mon-Fri), with CCBA Diversity on the 16th.
Maybe I'm misinformed, but I was under the impression that OCI went straight through the 13th to the 23rd with a break for CCBA. TBF it's totally possible that I input it into my calendar that way for ease and then forgot that the weekend wasn't included. I'm guessing that Rink has called the Career Services office and confirmed the dates though, because she said she "just discovered" that it happens on the weekend?

I know I would sure appreciate an extra 2 days to get my shit together in the middle of OCI...
Called? You are giving me waaay too much credit. I'm so far behind on this shit, it's not even funny. :? I threw together my bids for the SF IP fair literally in like 4 hours, and that's basically all I've done so far.

I "discovered" this on the OCI>Class Schedules/Conflicts tab in Symplicity where you put in your own conflicts. Tues 8/13 to Fri 8/23 are all marked "OCI Session," including the middle weekend. So I'm just basing my freakout on that. Maybe the firms don't actually use the weekend slots? That'd be nice.

I have a phone appointment with Dave on Wednesday so if nobody else gets an answer before then, I'll definitely ask him.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:06 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Called? You are giving me waaay too much credit. I'm so far behind on this shit, it's not even funny. :? I threw together my bids for the SF IP fair literally in like 4 hours, and that's basically all I've done so far.

I "discovered" this on the OCI>Class Schedules/Conflicts tab in Symplicity where you put in your own conflicts. Tues 8/13 to Fri 8/23 are all marked "OCI Session," including the middle weekend. So I'm just basing my freakout on that. Maybe the firms don't actually use the weekend slots? That'd be nice.

I have a phone appointment with Dave on Wednesday so if nobody else gets an answer before then, I'll definitely ask him.
I can just call the office when they open tomorrow to confirm. Or you can if you want since you're the one who would have to book tickets if we have that weekend free.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:20 pm

There were no OCI screeners on the weekend last year, only interviews were on week days.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:30 pm

Icculus wrote:There were no OCI screeners on the weekend last year, only interviews were on week days.
also year prior

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:37 pm

IAFG wrote:
Icculus wrote:There were no OCI screeners on the weekend last year, only interviews were on week days.
also year prior
Which makes sense considering you need to get lawyers in to interview and the staff and CSO in there. Rink, my guess is as long as you are not missing a Friday or Monday you should be fine.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:46 pm

Icculus wrote:
IAFG wrote:
also year prior
Which makes sense considering you need to get lawyers in to interview and the staff and CSO in there. Rink, my guess is as long as you are not missing a Friday or Monday you should be fine.
Whew, that's a huge relief! I figured I'd fly into Omaha or Lincoln as late as possible on Friday night and come back Sunday afternoon. So that should work!

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:26 pm

I think, but not 100% that there were interviews only on one Saturday. Not both. Cannot remember whether first or second saturday.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:16 pm

Pokemon wrote:I think, but not 100% that there were interviews only on one Saturday. Not both. Cannot remember whether first or second saturday.
Looking at my calendar from last August I see nothing on either Saturday.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:19 pm

Icculus wrote:
Pokemon wrote:I think, but not 100% that there were interviews only on one Saturday. Not both. Cannot remember whether first or second saturday.
Looking at my calendar from last August I see nothing on either Saturday.
I know for a fact there were none because my journal orientation was on the saturday/sunday between the weeks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:57 am

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:04 am

lgleye wrote:Okay, Rising 3L's and above:
Could you guys give us newbies examples of some nightmare screener questions that you've encountered at OCI?
(ie. questions that were just plan hard or posed by screeners who were just dicks)
Your "nightmare" screener is the one where the interviewer is very polite and asks softball questions but you never gives you a chance to really pitch yourself and then dings you in the afternoon.

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Bronze

Post by VulcanVulcanVulcan » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:22 am

IAFG wrote:
Could you guys give us newbies examples of some nightmare screener questions that you've encountered at OCI?
(ie. questions that were just plan hard or posed by screeners who were just dicks)
Your "nightmare" screener is the one where the interviewer is very polite and asks softball questions but you never gives you a chance to really pitch yourself and then dings you in the afternoon.
This.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:26 am

IAFG wrote:
In my experience this happens 100% of the time with firms that you have no shot at, but it's less common with firms where you're in the range.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:46 am

IAFG wrote:
This is the nightmare scenario.

Other questions that I heard or my friends were asked, however:

If you were a jungle animal that started with the first letter of your name, what animal would you be?

(At an interview I picked up from the hospitality suite) So why didn't you bid us higher to make sure you got an interview?

(I am a non-trad older student) Do you really think you can handle someone younger than you assigning you work and giving you advice? Or are you one of those people who knows everything?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:48 am

Icculus wrote: (At an interview I picked up from the hospitality suite) So why didn't you bid us higher to make sure you got an interview?
If you get this, tell them that the algorithm doesn't guarantee you get your top 1/3/5/10.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:49 am

I had a really quick answer to that jungle question in my head. I'm not sure what the hell that says about me other than "this girl is a weirdo who knows too much about birds of paradise."

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:53 am

franklyscarlet wrote:I had a really quick answer to that jungle question in my head. I'm not sure what the hell that says about me other than "this girl is a weirdo who knows too much about birds of paradise."
I can't even think of a jungle animal for my letter. I guess I would fail that interview.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”