NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: NU OCI 2013/The Great Jerb Hunt

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, a few pages back, where I wondered about how NU is doing this cycle, remarking that many friends seemed on edge, more so than last year at this time. At that time, I said that of our group of 8 ppl going to a bar, only 4 of us had offers, and the others left with 1 or 2 CB's.
Now it looks like my concerns were premature, at least for our group of 8: Seven of us now have offers at BigLaw, and 1 has an offer in prestigious federal PI gig. Considereing that most of us are at about median GPA (3.2 - 3.7), it looks like we're beating last year's odds, even though results came in slower than expected. Hope this reflects on the whole NU class.
Believe me, there are still plenty of people with nothing at all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here, a few pages back, where I wondered about how NU is doing this cycle, remarking that many friends seemed on edge, more so than last year at this time. At that time, I said that of our group of 8 ppl going to a bar, only 4 of us had offers, and the others left with 1 or 2 CB's.
Now it looks like my concerns were premature, at least for our group of 8: Seven of us now have offers at BigLaw, and 1 has an offer in prestigious federal PI gig. Considereing that most of us are at about median GPA (3.2 - 3.7), it looks like we're beating last year's odds, even though results came in slower than expected. Hope this reflects on the whole NU class.
Believe me, there are still plenty of people with nothing at all.
Ya, plenty of people in that GPA range with nothing at all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:54 pm

Ding on the last realistic possibility I had open at the moment. (not just massmail I haven't heard from) I thought I had this one. Feeling pretty awesome about myself today.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:25 pm

Can I just comment on how much the front desk staff in the career services office suck for one moment. Went to check out a book that was put on reserve for me. I arrived at 5:02 (I checked my phone before walking in). The office closes at 5:00, but the door was still open. The guy sitting in the front gave me so much attitude, even though all it entailed was for him to hand me the book that was sitting there. I seriously question why I pay so much money to get such poor service from people who are supposed to be helping me get a job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:21 pm

Did everyone who interviewed with Sidley just get a voluntary self-identification survey?

I swear they dinged me three weeks ago via mail, but I guess I interviewed with more than one office. Maybe they only dinged me once?

Mysteries abound.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did everyone who interviewed with Sidley just get a voluntary self-identification survey?

I swear they dinged me three weeks ago via mail, but I guess I interviewed with more than one office. Maybe they only dinged me once?

Mysteries abound.
I never even interviewed with them, just massmailed, and I got that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ding on the last realistic possibility I had open at the moment. (not just massmail I haven't heard from) I thought I had this one. Feeling pretty awesome about myself today.
That sucks. Keep your eye on resume drops. ie. A&O NYC requested resumes a couple days ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can I just comment on how much the front desk staff in the career services office suck for one moment. Went to check out a book that was put on reserve for me. I arrived at 5:02 (I checked my phone before walking in). The office closes at 5:00, but the door was still open. The guy sitting in the front gave me so much attitude, even though all it entailed was for him to hand me the book that was sitting there. I seriously question why I pay so much money to get such poor service from people who are supposed to be helping me get a job.
Most valuable lesson I learned from 3L's early this summer was to act as if CCS didn't exist at all, for all the help they provide. This way, you don't get pissed off by assholes sitting at the front desk, because they don't exist.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:55 pm

dont wanna provide details for fear of outing myself, but i've struck out on everything so far. is spring oci open to 2L's? why am i only seeing one employer, air force jag, in symplicity? am i doing something wrong?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:dont wanna provide details for fear of outing myself, but i've struck out on everything so far. is spring oci open to 2L's? why am i only seeing one employer, air force jag, in symplicity? am i doing something wrong?
Employers specify what class years they are seeking in their job posting. If they don't specify 2L's then you won't see their posting (and won't be able to bid on them).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:55 pm

bdubs wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:dont wanna provide details for fear of outing myself, but i've struck out on everything so far. is spring oci open to 2L's? why am i only seeing one employer, air force jag, in symplicity? am i doing something wrong?
Employers specify what class years they are seeking in their job posting. If they don't specify 2L's then you won't see their posting (and won't be able to bid on them).
ok ty

wojo98

Bronze

Post by wojo98 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:03 pm

Tagging this (instructive for 2014 OCI).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:36 pm

i have my plane tickets to/from my summer job city bought but then remembered 3L oci. I am working govt this summer bc i struck out at oci; should i change my ticket to get back in time for oci? also is loyola PLIP worth doing as a 3L? i did register for it so i can go if i decide to.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i have my plane tickets to/from my summer job city bought but then remembered 3L oci. I am working govt this summer bc i struck out at oci; should i change my ticket to get back in time for oci? also is loyola PLIP worth doing as a 3L? i did register for it so i can go if i decide to.
I would since you don't have much to lose. Even if the conversion rate is low, the potential upside is so high that it's worth it.

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:57 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:07 pm

how many employers at plip and oci interview 3Ls?

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:28 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:38 pm

lgleye wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:how many employers at plip and oci interview 3Ls?
Only a fraction of the amount that interview 2L's (their main focal point). You can check by logging onto your PLIP Simplicity account. However, you don't need to decide now. "Bidding" for firms is merely checking off the firms and cities where you'd like to go....there's no ranking. Once you do that, the firms pre-select (decide if they want to interview you). At that point, you can decide whether or not to fly back.
I know a lot of 3L's who got 1 or 2 iscreeners.
I know it's tough to realize now, but your best chance at PLIP was last summer....... sorry. Good Luck.
so if i search in the plip simplicity for employers without any search factors picked, it should return the ones im eligible for (as a 3l), right? no results.

edit: nm i have always sucked at simplicity. found the list of employers.

lgleye

Bronze

Post by lgleye » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:23 pm

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Sat May 31, 2014 7:17 pm

bjsesq wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys, would appreciate any advice on what firms in NYC and/or Chicago I should be targeting in the top 10 for my bidlist with a mid-3.5 (is that top 1/3? not sure...)? Thx
3.5ish is bottom cutoff of top 1/3. I can speak to Chicago a little: Katten is a probably a solid starting point. Sidley is a bit of a reach, depending on your softs. Reed Smith and Drinker Biddle probably should be on there somewhere, though they have smaller classes. There's nobody that you absolutely can't bid with a 3.5, but if you're softs are especially weak (i.e no business world WE or gov't work), then you've got to think a bit more about it. Also, as someone in a similar boat last year, and I know us 3Ls are harping on this, but you shouldn't feel too comfortable, esp if you really want Chicago, so make sure you're planning on mass mailing.

should you want more tailored advice, feel free to pm me
Kirkland is well within reach. So are Winston and Jenner.
It seems like conventional wisdom in this thread is that Sidley has stricter GPA requirements than Kirkland, yet everything I've seen seems to indicate its the other way around? Can anyone shed light on how last year went with Sidley?

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Sat May 31, 2014 7:19 pm

I don't know how many offers were given, but almost no one is going to Sidley this year (2 or 3 iirc).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Sat May 31, 2014 7:26 pm

Kikero wrote:I don't know how many offers were given, but almost no one is going to Sidley this year (2 or 3 iirc).
NALPDirectory shows the incoming summer class this year is about 25% smaller than the 2 years prior, hopefully last year was just a fluke? I know at their recruiting event this year they said they thought hiring was going to be up this year...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”