Invites to events in outlook during SA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Invites to events in outlook during SA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:59 pm

Do I choose to send a response or to not send a response when accepting an invitation?

TTH

Re: Invites to events in outlook during SA

Postby TTH » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do I choose to send a response or to not send a response when accepting an invitation?

What I was told at my mid-law firm is that it depends on the event. If it's a firmwide thing where the person sending the invite would get flooded if everyone sent responses, don't. If it's lunch or happy hour with a discrete group of attorneys (i.e., where someone will need to order food, make a reservation, or coordinate people), go ahead and send a response.

If you want to err on the side of caution, ask your summer associate mentor or just send responses to err'thing.

NanaP

Postby NanaP » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do I choose to send a response or to not send a response when accepting an invitation?

Just accept the invitation if your going....no need to send a response.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:00 pm

If it is a form invite and doesn't ask for RSVP then don't respond. However, most ask for a RSVP.

If it is a personal invitation then of course.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:00 pm

I feel like you need to ask your recruiting coordinator that question. We have someone who is in charge of sending the summers all of their events and she specifically told us to all "send response" when we accept something. Don't just go with what TLS says, we're not your firm and we don't know what the firm expects.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:55 pm

Do any of you actually know how outlook works? You should probably accept invites that you're sent if you're going. The organizer can't track whether you are coming if you don't send a response. You don't need to add a personalized note though, if that is what you were asking.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:39 am

bdubs wrote:Do any of you actually know how outlook works? You should probably accept invites that you're sent if you're going. The organizer can't track whether you are coming if you don't send a response. You don't need to add a personalized note though, if that is what you were asking.

This is the correct advice. 95% of the time you should accept/send response, with no note needed. The event organizer will either delete the "responses" or have their mail set up to auto-filter them to trash, but 2 weeks later will be able to look at the event attendance list to know how many people are coming/make nametags/etc. Don't stress about "flooding" an event organizer's mailbox.

The caveat to the above is you probably don't need to send a response if you're a summer/junior associate invited to a mass conference call, since no one cares if you listen or not (fwiw, don't say anything during the call and DO NOT announce yourself... just listen and take notes).

Return to “Legal Employment”