How to ask Partners to lunch as an SA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to ask Partners to lunch as an SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:23 am

To those with first-hand experience, how does an SA go about asking a Partner to lunch (or an Associate, for that matter)?

DCDuck

Re: How to ask Partners to lunch as an SA?

Postby DCDuck » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:31 am

"Hello partner X, I am so and so, a summer associate. I am interested in (type of work partner does/previous experience of partner, etc.) and was wondering if you would be available this summer to go out for lunch. I would really appreciate the opportunity to talk with you about your practice and experience in (employment law or at the FTC or whatever)."

No need to overthink.

Lateral2013

Postby Lateral2013 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:To those with first-hand experience, how does an SA go about asking a Partner to lunch (or an Associate, for that matter)?

This is just one associate's opinion, but let them ask you. If I'm free I'll be calling someone up to go to lunch. If I'm not, it's because I'm busy or have other plans. So asking me puts me in kinda an awkward spot. The recruiting people at our firm have the daily job of making sure no summer goes unfed, so if your firm has that just let them do their job.

If there is someone in particular you are interested in getting to know, then go to them and ask them for work (let the recruiters know you are doing this). Once you are working with them, bring up that when they get a chance you'd love to grab lunch and talk more, then leave the ball in their court.

DCDuck

Postby DCDuck » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:33 am

May also want to copy his secretary on the communication, since she has his schedule. If he is interested, he usually will copy his/her secretary on the reply so the sec. can set up a time.

anongoodnurse

Postby anongoodnurse » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:46 am

It's also a good idea to go through a partner's associate(s) where possible, both for work and lunch dates. And how will you know who they are? That's what your mentor is for! Tell them that you'd love to get some exposure to Partner X's work, so do they know what associates do a lot of work for him/her. They will know or they will be able to find out, and then they'll probably hook you up with a lunch or happy hour with that associate.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:19 pm

Choreograph an invitation to lunch dance. Make sure it's flashy so he doesn't select one of the other summers on the basis of their dance over yours, but you don't want it to be too showy or sensual. Vocalization may be appropriate. Ask prior summers for the partner's preferences, but be careful as excessive vocalization may attract nearby associates. Associates, of course, are not nearly as valuable lunch companions as partners, but are much easier to secure as lunch partners.

Here's one that I used with much success: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA_iijJqz1g&t=1m0s. Like the video, I was not always initially successful. Don't worry. Persistance is key. Some partners may have already eaten lunch, therefore rendering your dance unappetizing.

If you want some tips/additional videos for brainstorming, please feel free to shoot me a PM. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:19 pm

I usually try and introduce myself to partner X at a social event. 9/10 times they will likely say, "Hey, we should grab lunch soon."

The very next business day, I email the same partner and ask him/her if they're available for lunch. I make it very clear that his/her schedule takes complete precedence over mine.

Partners, at my firm at least, have been very receptive and very friendly.

Could be very firm/partner dependent.

Return to “Legal Employment”