T-14 Below Median with Interview at large Bank

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

T-14 Below Median with Interview at large Bank

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:04 pm

So I have this interview at a large Bank for a Regulatory Compliance position. It is not JD preferred, but I am a post 3L from a T14 slightly below median studying for the bar with nothing else on the horizon. The Financial Services company is located in a secondary market. Think PNC, BoA, BNY Mellon. What value should I place on vertical mobility within the company, which could easily turn into JD preferred within a few years?

thesealocust

Re: T-14 Below Median with Interview at large Bank

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What value should I place on vertical mobility within the company

About 16.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I have this interview at a large Bank for a Regulatory Compliance position. It is not JD preferred, but I am a post 3L from a T14 slightly below median studying for the bar with nothing else on the horizon. The Financial Services company is located in a secondary market. Think PNC, BoA, BNY Mellon. What value should I place on vertical mobility within the company, which could easily turn into JD preferred within a few years?

If you don't want to do legal work, 0.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:30 am

A lot of it depends on what kind of regulatory compliance you're doing. If your job is making sure every new investor has checked the box to declare they're an accredited investor, that won't turn into JD preferred. If your job is writing the handbook to explain to managers how to determine if a person has correctly checked the accredited investor box, that could maybe someday turn into JD preferred if you make the right internal moves. If your job is analyzing if the bank's handbook and checkbox form are sufficient to meet the SEC's standards for determining if clients are accredited investors, then you have a fairly good chance of getting into a JD preferred job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:09 am

OP: I'm hoping it's the later, but will not know for sure until after the interview this week. The posting specified the compliance was for conflicts foreign currency/derivatives and involved interpreting regulations. My resume has my T14 law school and I have experience at an applicable Fed Agency. I would hope they are not wasting our time interviewing me for the former.

Return to “Legal Employment”