T50 law school, top 5-15%

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

T50 law school, top 5-15%

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:19 pm

My school hasn't posted our class rank yet, but my grades will probably put me in that range. How good am I looking for big law, still? Is my school ranked too low, should I take this opportunity to transfer? It's kinda weird but I never really considered myself a candidate for big law because I didn't expect to be good at law school. I'm wavering on whether to transfer or not. My parents are super against it because they're essentially covering all of my debt and they don't want to pay more, and I don't want to transfer if I know I can do just as well here. I just want to know where I'm at, what should I be doing?

nouseforaname123

Re: T50 law school, top 5-15%

Postby nouseforaname123 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My school hasn't posted our class rank yet, but my grades will probably put me in that range. How good am I looking for big law, still? Is my school ranked too low, should I take this opportunity to transfer? It's kinda weird but I never really considered myself a candidate for big law because I didn't expect to be good at law school. I'm wavering on whether to transfer or not. My parents are super against it because they're essentially covering all of my debt and they don't want to pay more, and I don't want to transfer if I know I can do just as well here. I just want to know where I'm at, what should I be doing?

Really depends on the school/market.

Can you give us more info?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:28 pm

nouseforaname123 wrote:Really depends on the school/market.

It's a Southern school.

nouseforaname123

Postby nouseforaname123 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

It's a Southern school.

If your school is a strong regional school that primarily feeds a strong secondary market, you're probably fine staying put. I'm talking about Houston, Dallas, and (to a lesser extent) Atlanta.

I'm can't make informed comments about markets like Birmingham, New Orleans, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:44 pm

nouseforaname123 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It's a Southern school.

If your school is a strong regional school that primarily feeds a strong secondary market, you're probably fine staying put. I'm talking about Houston, Dallas, and (to a lesser extent) Atlanta.

I'm can't make informed comments about markets like Birmingham, New Orleans, etc.

Thanks. I'm leaning towards staying. There's too much risk involved with transferring. What if I'm not as good somewhere else? Plus, I'd throw a wrench right in the middle of Fall OCIs. Finally, I really dig the school I'm at. Then again, I've never lived outside the South. Maybe I'm doing myself a disservice if I don't at least look somewhere.. I'm not even getting a scholarship from the school I'm at now.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

It's a Southern school.

Just say you're school

You're anon

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:45 pm

Why not apply to transfer? When you get accepted, you can make these decisions. You can repay your own debt from the job will get on graduation. I'm not sure why this depends on your parents. Or have them pay as much as they would from your current school and you cover the rest.

Maybe you won't even get accepted and that will solve your problem. There are good guides for transferring on the forum.

If you are at a better school you may not need to do as well.

Maybe you need to aim high and see what you get.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:52 pm

NYstate wrote:Why not apply to transfer? When you get accepted, you can make these decisions. You can repay your own debt from the job will get on graduation. I'm not sure why this depends on your parents.

My parents matter because they're covering all of my debt. Plus, I care about their opinion. Is there really that big of a difference between where I'm at now and where I could be? Who's to say I wouldn't be median at a T14 (assuming I could even sniff any of them)? I just hate the thought of ruining a good thing I have here.

But maybe you're right, there's no reason not to apply. I'll get started after I'm done writing this LR write on paper [just in case].

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
nouseforaname123 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It's a Southern school.

Thanks. I'm leaning towards staying. There's too much risk involved with transferring. What if I'm not as good somewhere else? Plus, I'd throw a wrench right in the middle of Fall OCIs. Finally, I really dig the school I'm at. Then again, I've never lived outside the South. Maybe I'm doing myself a disservice if I don't at least look somewhere.. I'm not even getting a scholarship from the school I'm at now.

Step 1: Apply to transfer.
Step 2: Get accepted.
Step 3: Negotiate with your current school for scholarship $$$.
Step 4: Profit.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:10 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It's a Southern school.

Just say you're school

You're anon

+1. This actually matters

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:12 pm

mr.hands wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It's a Southern school.

Just say you're school

You're anon

+1. This actually matters

Fine, Florida State.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
NYstate wrote:Why not apply to transfer? When you get accepted, you can make these decisions. You can repay your own debt from the job will get on graduation. I'm not sure why this depends on your parents.

My parents matter because they're covering all of my debt. Plus, I care about their opinion. Is there really that big of a difference between where I'm at now and where I could be? Who's to say I wouldn't be median at a T14 (assuming I could even sniff any of them)? I just hate the thought of ruining a good thing I have here.

But maybe you're right, there's no reason not to apply. I'll get started after I'm done writing this LR write on paper [just in case].

You can agree with your parents on a cap they will pay and you pay the rest. It shouldn't be a reason to top yourself from applying.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:54 pm

If you're paying in-state tuition and want to work in Florida, I would stay put. You should only transfer if you want to work in a different market. (e.g. Emory - ATL / BC/BU - Boston...etc). Florida Biglaw seems to be doing more hiring lately (at least on the lateral market) and the top kids at FSU seems to make out alright. You'll also be competitive for clerkships.

I guess it really just boils down to where you want to work.

~ mid level fl biglaw associate

Return to “Legal Employment”