mention family member works in firm if your not close

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

mention family member works in firm if your not close

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 31, 2013 1:08 pm

I just found out that one of my 2nd cousins is a partner at a firm that I would love to work at and I am applying to.... however im not really that close to him since hes a 2nd cousin I only really see and talk to him and family reunions and such were not really close at all...I would just call him and talk to him and see if he minds me dropping his name in a cover letter but applications are due for a job fair that I am applying to today so i dont really have time

Would it be akward to drop his name in the cover letter?

anongoodnurse

Re: mention family member works in firm if your not close

Postby anongoodnurse » Fri May 31, 2013 1:14 pm

Would it be akward to drop his name in the cover letter?

Yes. But it wouldn't be awkward to send him an email and say that you're interested in his firm and you're sending in your resume to HR. He can then follow up if he thinks it might help.

Lateral2013

Postby Lateral2013 » Fri May 31, 2013 1:16 pm

Yup, really awkward and do more harm than good. The prior advice is sound. Follow up with him after the fact. The connection will get to the right person's ears.

In the future, as part of your pre-interview prep I would highly suggest searching your linkedin/ facebook for connections in advance of the interview. They can really be the difference between getting a second look and not.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 31, 2013 1:20 pm

Lateral2013 wrote:Yup, really awkward and do more harm than good. The prior advice is sound. Follow up with him after the fact. The connection will get to the right person's ears.

In the future, as part of your pre-interview prep I would highly suggest searching your linkedin/ facebook for connections in advance of the interview. They can really be the difference between getting a second look and not.

Perfect thanks to the both of you for the advice!

guano

Postby guano » Fri May 31, 2013 1:24 pm

IMO the better move is to contact that relative and let him/her forward your resume to HR

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri May 31, 2013 1:45 pm

guano wrote:IMO the better move is to contact that relative and let him/her forward your resume to HR

Yep

Call up the dood

Tell the dood you're looking into 2L summer

And ask him some Qs about the firm

Return to “Legal Employment”