Quitting Summer Associate Position

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: Quitting Summer Associate Position

Postby Jsa725 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:22 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quitting Summer Associate Position

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 30, 2013 1:26 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:also, are you interested in doing any type of legal work whatsoever once that project is complete?


Yes. I have it in writing. No I am not interested in law as a back up plan. Once the project is completed I would be managing the project. Sorry for being so vague, just trying to maintain anonymity.

so why are you in LS, are you attending on a full-ride? is this a JD preferred gig?


Great question. The opportunity came up in February. I was pretty disillusioned by law school at that point and this came out of the blue.

I am not attending full ride, but with the part time work that I do and my scholly, I am not taking on anymore debt.

At this point I want to finish because I am pretty far in, but I have contemplated quitting.

It is not a JD-preferred job.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Quitting Summer Associate Position

Postby 09042014 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:29 pm

Whatever you choose, this next school year, work full time and just show up for exams. You can work a full 40, and have ass law school pretty easy.

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5701
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Quitting Summer Associate Position

Postby BVest » Thu May 30, 2013 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Once the project is completed I would be managing the project.


:?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Quitting Summer Associate Position

Postby 09042014 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:30 pm

BVest wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Once the project is completed I would be managing the project.


:?


He obviously means up and running. Learn context brah.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quitting Summer Associate Position

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 30, 2013 1:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Whatever you choose, this next school year, work full time and just show up for exams. You can work a full 40, and have ass law school pretty easy.


Agreed. Thank you. After two years of LS I know where to cut down the fat to get the most bang for my buck. Especially if I am not gunning anymore.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: Quitting Summer Associate Position

Postby Jsa725 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:33 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quitting Summer Associate Position

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 30, 2013 1:36 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Whatever you choose, this next school year, work full time and just show up for exams. You can work a full 40, and have ass law school pretty easy.


yah, i'd have to say: give 2-weeks notice, stay in school, work during 3L, grad w/ no debt + jerb

edit: b/c the stint at the law firm is so short, you don't need to put it on your resume.


So you actually suggest leaving the SA early may be the best option? I just ask because most of the other responses have been the opposite.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22845
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Quitting Summer Associate Position

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu May 30, 2013 1:37 pm

Yeah, going to work for this other gig full time is a more acceptable reason to quit your SA. It really sounded like you were going to quit and sit around the rest of the summer. I still probably wouldn't quit, but it's a less crazy plan than I thought before.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Quitting Summer Associate Position

Postby 09042014 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Whatever you choose, this next school year, work full time and just show up for exams. You can work a full 40, and have ass law school pretty easy.


Agreed. Thank you. After two years of LS I know where to cut down the fat to get the most bang for my buck. Especially if I am not gunning anymore.


Just take classes that are pretty easy to learn. Shit like bar classes, evidence, trusts and estates. You can learn that shit in three full days. You might even do better.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3142
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Quitting Summer Associate Position

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu May 30, 2013 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Whatever you choose, this next school year, work full time and just show up for exams. You can work a full 40, and have ass law school pretty easy.


yah, i'd have to say: give 2-weeks notice, stay in school, work during 3L, grad w/ no debt + jerb

edit: b/c the stint at the law firm is so short, you don't need to put it on your resume.


So you actually suggest leaving the SA early may be the best option? I just ask because most of the other responses have been the opposite.

You weren't at all clear originally that you can do the other job this summer. You just said you have something lined up after graduation. That changes things.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quitting Summer Associate Position

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 30, 2013 1:39 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:You weren't at all clear originally that you can do the other job this summer. You just said you have something lined up after graduation. That changes things.


I understand. My bad on that. I will edit the OP.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu May 30, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: Quitting Summer Associate Position

Postby Jsa725 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:39 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peyton
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 9:40 am

Re: Quitting Summer Associate Position

Postby Peyton » Thu May 30, 2013 1:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So you actually suggest leaving the SA early may be the best option? I just ask because most of the other responses have been the opposite.

I guess one option is.... convince the firm to pay you for writing on TLS all day.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: Quitting Summer Associate Position

Postby Jsa725 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:45 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quitting Summer Associate Position

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 30, 2013 1:51 pm

Jsa725 wrote:oh yeah: congrats on essentially graduating LS w/ ZERO debt + having a job lined up when you graduate + not needing to take the BAR exam when you are finished with school 8)

the only reason to stay at the SA is for an insurance policy just in case the job does not pan out... but based on your having an offer in writing for full-time work when you graduate, staying w/ the firm is probably not ideal


Thank you. Although I didn't say zero debt. I do have some debt from year one and two. BUT I am at a state school plus scholly. So my total debt is will be manageable upon graduation.

I appreciate the feedback. I should have been more clear in he OP

lolwat
Posts: 604
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: Quitting Summer Associate Position

Postby lolwat » Thu May 30, 2013 1:56 pm

My first thought: FU. :P

With that out of the way, I think you probably should quit. Given your non-law project and the circumstances, quitting your SA gig and focusing full time on it will likely be better in every way possible for you.

deliriousxix
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: Quitting Summer Associate Position

Postby deliriousxix » Thu May 30, 2013 2:00 pm

it sounds like OP is just fishing for the answer he wants to hear: to quit. Unfortunately, nothing good can come out of quitting. OP--you made the commitment. You potentially took somebody else's SA position who actually needed/wanted it... for what? So you can quit after 2 weeks because you "hate it" and never wanted to do it in the first place? Suck it up. With 7 years of WE I would think you have a basic understanding of common courtesy and acceptable norms in an employment position. All quitting will do for you is give you a bad reputation at your school, in the legal market (and potentially other markets) in the area, and particularly with the people at the firm. Wait 8 more weeks, and then decline an offer of full-time employment if they extend you one. Simple.

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: Quitting Summer Associate Position

Postby NYstate » Thu May 30, 2013 2:02 pm

I say stick with the job. You might need those references later. Don't burn bridges you don't need to burn. It is only a couple of months. Also, you might learn something.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273348
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Quitting Summer Associate Position

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 30, 2013 2:22 pm

deliriousxix wrote:it sounds like OP is just fishing for the answer he wants to hear: to quit. Unfortunately, nothing good can come out of quitting. OP--you made the commitment. You potentially took somebody else's SA position who actually needed/wanted it... for what? So you can quit after 2 weeks because you "hate it" and never wanted to do it in the first place? Suck it up. With 7 years of WE I would think you have a basic understanding of common courtesy and acceptable norms in an employment position. All quitting will do for you is give you a bad reputation at your school, in the legal market (and potentially other markets) in the area, and particularly with the people at the firm. Wait 8 more weeks, and then decline an offer of full-time employment if they extend you one. Simple.


Not sure how I am "fishing" here. I'm telling things the way they are.

I went through OCI like I was supposed to. I got an offer with a respected firm and I took it. This all happened before 2L started. The current opportunity came up at the beginning of second semester. This was long after I accepted the SA position.

Thank you for your thoughts. I really just want to hear both sides of the argument here. You're presenting one side. I appreciate it.

deliriousxix
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:44 pm

Re: Quitting Summer Associate Position

Postby deliriousxix » Thu May 30, 2013 2:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
deliriousxix wrote:it sounds like OP is just fishing for the answer he wants to hear: to quit. Unfortunately, nothing good can come out of quitting. OP--you made the commitment. You potentially took somebody else's SA position who actually needed/wanted it... for what? So you can quit after 2 weeks because you "hate it" and never wanted to do it in the first place? Suck it up. With 7 years of WE I would think you have a basic understanding of common courtesy and acceptable norms in an employment position. All quitting will do for you is give you a bad reputation at your school, in the legal market (and potentially other markets) in the area, and particularly with the people at the firm. Wait 8 more weeks, and then decline an offer of full-time employment if they extend you one. Simple.


Not sure how I am "fishing" here. I'm telling things the way they are.

I went through OCI like I was supposed to. I got an offer with a respected firm and I took it. This all happened before 2L started. The current opportunity came up at the beginning of second semester. This was long after I accepted the SA position.

Thank you for your thoughts. I really just want to hear both sides of the argument here. You're presenting one side. I appreciate it.


wasn't meant to be offensive, sorry. It just seems as if you are only addressing the people who are telling you to quit, and your responses seem pretty defensive.

NanaP
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:29 pm

Re: Quitting Summer Associate Position

Postby NanaP » Thu May 30, 2013 2:46 pm

I vote to stay. Not only will you be screwing over the firm, but you may screw over your school as well. You can multi-task for 8 weeks, it'll fly by, plus you will have some money coming in, even if it's not much, it's still something. You may even learn something that you can take with you to your job. Stay.

I just want to add, that one thing I notice about this site is the immaturity of law students, (not saying this is the case for you) just speaking in general terms. I am surprised especially when you consider a lot of these students are supposedly smart and going to top schools. I'm not sure if it's the fact that a lot of the folks here are right out of school and haven't experienced the real world yet, or whatever the case, I am just surprised. There are some here who genuinely want to help those with questions though....anyway...went off on a tangent, stay at the job.

jd20132013
Posts: 997
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Quitting Summer Associate Position

Postby jd20132013 » Thu May 30, 2013 3:05 pm

Why wouldn't you just stay and do the bare minimum? You avoid burning a bridge--you have no idea what bridges you'll need to cross in the future--, you collect several checks, and you don't have to care about a no offer? Come in at 9:30 and leave at 4:30 every day.

User avatar
NinerFan
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Quitting Summer Associate Position

Postby NinerFan » Thu May 30, 2013 3:42 pm

I don't know if you care about your school or your classmates at all, but another reason not to quit is to not trash your school's reputation in the eyes of this firm.

User avatar
Scotchandsoda
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:09 am

Re: Quitting Summer Associate Position

Postby Scotchandsoda » Thu May 30, 2013 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Just do a shitty job and take their money.

LOL at not considering money because you didn't "go to law school for the money." Are you stupid or just an occupy chump? Either way, take the mans free money.


Apparently I am just stupid. I mean fuck doing something that you enjoy right? Might as well just sit around and collect that paper.



It seems like you already made up your mind. Quit then. The practical thing to do would be to stay, make some bank, and then leave. But you seem dead set on quitting the SA position. No one is forcing you to stay at your current position.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.