2L non-OCI Strategy

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L non-OCI Strategy

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 29, 2013 2:57 pm

This scenario applies to applying to / mass mailing small to mid firms (less than 50 attorneys) in my home city where I have decent family and personal connections in each of the firms I am interested in. (Planning to build on these this summer as well).

The question is this: If I happened to bomb a class in 1L Spring which really hurt my GPA, would it be beneficial to wait until new grades for this 2L Fall semester come out over winter break to start sending cover letters and resumes, or would it be better to accept the knock in the GPA and apply early in the Fall?

Leave the "there is no guarantee your GPA will increase" and the "you bombed a class you should quit" sentiments out of the analysis.

So what would be better:

1) Increased GPA (top 1/3) but applying over winter-break,
or
2) Current GPA (not top 1/3) but applying early in the Fall.

Re: 2L non-OCI Strategy

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 29, 2013 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This scenario applies to applying to / mass mailing small to mid firms (less than 50 attorneys) in my home city where I have decent family and personal connections in each of the firms I am interested in. (Planning to build on these this summer as well).

The question is this: If I happened to bomb a class in 1L Spring which really hurt my GPA, would it be beneficial to wait until new grades for this 2L Fall semester come out over winter break to start sending cover letters and resumes, or would it be better to accept the knock in the GPA and apply early in the Fall?

Leave the "there is no guarantee your GPA will increase" and the "you bombed a class you should quit" sentiments out of the analysis.

So what would be better:

1) Increased GPA (top 1/3) but applying over winter-break,
or
2) Current GPA (not top 1/3) but applying early in the Fall.

It depends when these firms start giving out offers. I'd assume the midsize firms with formal programs will be done hiring by November, so either you apply in the fall, or you don't even get a shot.

Some smaller firms might not start looking until springtime.

BUT: I doubt these firms are going to look at the resumes right away, weed you out, then wait 6 months for more applications then finally making a decision after March 2014. They'll either wait or they'll make the decision early. Even if you wait, they'll see your transcript for 1L Spring.

So you apply when you are supposed to. And when grades come out, you immediately update your transcript AND resume. That way you are covered both ways.

lolwat

Re: 2L non-OCI Strategy

Postby lolwat » Wed May 29, 2013 3:36 pm

What Desert Fox said, generally.

That being said, I think some firms might actually weed out certain applications early while they go through the process of making decisions. In the event you feel like you might have gotten an early auto-ding based primarily on your 1L grades, there's nothing that says you can't (or shouldn't) make another inquiry if your grades significantly improve after you get your 2L fall grades.

Return to “Legal Employment”