LinkedIn: Necessary for OCI?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
joetheplumber

LinkedIn: Necessary for OCI?

Postby joetheplumber » Tue May 28, 2013 2:57 pm

So I have been told by a few friends that LinkedIn gives you a boost in OCI and that you need to have an internet presence besides FB photos. Is this really true? Should I just sign up and get a LinkedIn just to have an internet resume? Any other benefits to having LinkedIn?

thesealocust

Re: LinkedIn: Necessary for OCI?

Postby thesealocust » Tue May 28, 2013 3:03 pm

I'm not planning to have an account until I'm sworn in. I've not noticed any detriment, or had any pressure from colleagues or prospective employers to create a profile (just random invite requests from friends and family).

Postby 20160810 » Tue May 28, 2013 3:24 pm

I think stuff like LinkedIn might become a little more necessary if you strike out at OCI, but a LinkedIn profile is absolutely useless for OCI. Don't worry about it.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue May 28, 2013 5:27 pm

thesealocust wrote:I'm not planning to have an account until I'm sworn in. I've not noticed any detriment, or had any pressure from colleagues or prospective employers to create a profile (just random invite requests from friends and family).

Is there a reason you're waiting? I mean, it is free and all.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue May 28, 2013 5:28 pm

SBL wrote:I think stuff like LinkedIn might become a little more necessary if you strike out at OCI, but a LinkedIn profile is absolutely useless for OCI. Don't worry about it.

I noticed a substantial up-tick of profile views beginning the week of OCI and tapering off through October. That could have been bleedover from mailings, but I have to think some non-zero percentage were people Googling from my resume.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue May 28, 2013 5:31 pm

joetheplumber wrote:So I have been told by a few friends that LinkedIn gives you a boost in OCI and that you need to have an internet presence besides FB photos. Is this really true? Should I just sign up and get a LinkedIn just to have an internet resume? Any other benefits to having LinkedIn?

I've now gotten three job offers solely through LinkedIn. As in, reputable people I don't know finding my profile, contacting me, and saying "we'd like to interview/hire you because of X unique thing in your profile that we need immediately." I can't imagine how having a LinkedIn profile could hurt you at OCI and it takes maybe a half hour to set up a free profile with all the whistles and bells.

Postby 09042014 » Tue May 28, 2013 5:54 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
joetheplumber wrote:So I have been told by a few friends that LinkedIn gives you a boost in OCI and that you need to have an internet presence besides FB photos. Is this really true? Should I just sign up and get a LinkedIn just to have an internet resume? Any other benefits to having LinkedIn?

I've now gotten three job offers solely through LinkedIn. As in, reputable people I don't know finding my profile, contacting me, and saying "we'd like to interview/hire you because of X unique thing in your profile that we need immediately." I can't imagine how having a LinkedIn profile could hurt you at OCI and it takes maybe a half hour to set up a free profile with all the whistles and bells.

Well, OCI employers aren't going comb through linkedin to give callbacks. They already have enough applications through OCI.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue May 28, 2013 7:01 pm

Linkedin is completely useless. Nobody I've ever met has any idea what to use it for. Just some vague notion that you can add everyone you know on it and now you're "networking."

That said, the main benefit is that it will be one of the first Google results for your name, if you have an unusual enough name.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue May 28, 2013 7:08 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:I'm not planning to have an account until I'm sworn in. I've not noticed any detriment, or had any pressure from colleagues or prospective employers to create a profile (just random invite requests from friends and family).

Sure it's free, but as a budding professional I don't see much to hold out for myself while I'm a law grad pending bar admittance :P

Many firms don't post people's bios or hand out business cards until then either. Just running off of intuition on the matter though really.

linquest

Postby linquest » Tue May 28, 2013 10:01 pm

I've never heard of LinkedIn as being "necessary for OCI." However, it can be very helpful for non-OCI job-hunting and information gathering. In law school, I used LinkedIn to get information from alumni in regions and specialties that I was interested in practicing in. LinkedIn profiles are usually more complete/accurate than your school's alumni directory. Also a good way to ease yourself into in-person networking so you get used to experiencing rejection and lack of response before attempting it face-to-face ;)

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Tue May 28, 2013 10:16 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Linkedin is completely useless. Nobody I've ever met has any idea what to use it for. Just some vague notion that you can add everyone you know on it and now you're "networking."

That said, the main benefit is that it will be one of the first Google results for your name, if you have an unusual enough name.

Several people in both legal and non-legal fields have gotten jobs with very reputable employers through Linkedin. I got a school-year internship in law school based on an employer looking for a law student with my background. It's effectively a resume that people can view without you having to fill out a job application. It's also pretty common for a person responsible for hiring to reach out to mutual contacts to figure out "the real deal" about an applicant (as opposed to what their cherry-picked references say). I've been on the receiving end of that a couple of times. So those seem like pretty good reasons to have a profile.

That said, not sure it's necessary for OCI.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue May 28, 2013 11:56 pm

thesealocust wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:

Sure it's free, but as a budding professional I don't see much to hold out for myself while I'm a law grad pending bar admittance :P

Many firms don't post people's bios or hand out business cards until then either. Just running off of intuition on the matter though really.

My thought would be that firms don't because a) The Bar might argue it's UPL and b) They have a better product, admitted attorneys, that they're trying to sell. On the other hand, you only have yourself that you're trying to sell and while you will sell yourself as an admitted lawyer at some point, it can't hurt to let other people know you're on the path to being something they might want and to keep you in mind for whatever it is that they want.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 29, 2013 12:07 am

I don't see any possible downside at all for setting one up, past annoying invites from friends/family.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Wed May 29, 2013 12:39 am

My OCS recommends (t6).

Claims employers will look you up and judge you just like they would a resume. Take it fwiw.

It takes 5 min to set up so I really don't see why you didn't just make one rather than making this thread.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Wed May 29, 2013 6:45 pm

Some OCI employers did look me up between screener and callback. I'm not sure if they would have thought any less of me if they hadn't found a profile, but as others have said, is there a disadvantage to setting one up now?

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 29, 2013 6:54 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:Some OCI employers did look me up between screener and callback. I'm not sure if they would have thought any less of me if they hadn't found a profile, but as others have said, is there a disadvantage to setting one up now?

You could look ugly or something.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Wed May 29, 2013 7:06 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Linkedin is completely useless. Nobody I've ever met has any idea what to use it for. Just some vague notion that you can add everyone you know on it and now you're "networking."

Lots of people use it as a version of instant messaging for deals. It seems less useful for actually getting a job.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed May 29, 2013 11:41 pm

Yeah, I don't know anything about that aspect of it. I'm actually glad to hear that it has a function for some people. As far as all the interviewers looking people up goes... I really think that's just because they're googling all their candidates and the LinkedIn profile pops up. I doubt they're specifically searching for you on LinkedIn. Anything on your LinkedIn that's going to impress them should have been on your resume in the first place.

So yeah I would agree no downside but like, exceedingly minimal upside, except I guess that having a profile has become sort of like having a business card (used to be)... unimpressive to have, but maybe noteworthy if you don't.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 30, 2013 9:52 pm

Had about a dozen offers among the v20.

No linked in and no facebook.

Certainly not necessary.

Return to “Legal Employment”