Bay Diversity Fair at SF

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bay Diversity Fair at SF

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 28, 2013 1:32 am

Is it worth it if you aren't that diverse? I know Asians aren't that "diverse"

togepi

Re: Bay Diversity Fair at SF

Postby togepi » Tue May 28, 2013 1:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it worth it if you aren't that diverse? I know Asians aren't that "diverse"

I believe Asians get more of a boost compared to law school admissions, but that boost is miniscule in the sense that you're more diverse than a white guy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 28, 2013 2:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it worth it if you aren't that diverse? I know Asians aren't that "diverse"

I struck out at OCI and an Asian classmate of mine with worse grades/journal got more offers from the BADF than I got interviews total during OCI.

togepi

Postby togepi » Tue May 28, 2013 4:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I struck out at OCI and an Asian classmate of mine with worse grades/journal got more offers from the BADF than I got interviews total during OCI.

That makes me feel somewhat comforting. I'm full Korean and plan on heading to the SEMJF. Hopefully I'll have some luck there if I come up dry at OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 28, 2013 9:39 am

There were a lot of Asian/Indian people there last year. An Indian friend got an offer from there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 28, 2013 2:50 pm

What about Chinese? I feel like they get less of a boost than other Asian minorities like Viet or Indian.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 28, 2013 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What about Chinese? I feel like they get less of a boost than other Asian minorities like Viet or Indian.

I went to a couple of these as a pasty-ass white guy and never got asked about it.

I think you're also overestimating the role URM plays in hiring; it's not like admissions where it's a measurable boost to your stats. It's a good soft that they'll look at but you're not getting tons of callbacks just for being a URM. And they're not sitting there distinguishing between each minority that walks in, making sure they fill some kind of quota.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 28, 2013 8:53 pm

I went to this a couple of years ago. It's helpful to get a few extra screening interviews, especially for smaller Bay Area Firms that might not come to your school.

That being said, I don't get the impression that law firms callback very many people from this Fair. Anecdotally, I had 6 interviews and I got 1 callback that led to an eventual offer. There are statistics listed on the official website.

Bottom Line: go for extra interviews, but don't go out of your way to do so

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 28, 2013 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I went to this a couple of years ago. It's helpful to get a few extra screening interviews, especially for smaller Bay Area Firms that might not come to your school.

That being said, I don't get the impression that law firms callback very many people from this Fair. Anecdotally, I had 6 interviews and I got 1 callback that led to an eventual offer. There are statistics listed on the official website.

Bottom Line: go for extra interviews, but don't go out of your way to do so

Hmm, worth it to spend about $200 bucks for air-ticket? Good thing its only one day with no hotel costs...

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue May 28, 2013 9:50 pm

I know Asians who got jobs that way

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 28, 2013 10:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That being said, I don't get the impression that law firms callback very many people from this Fair. Anecdotally, I had 6 interviews and I got 1 callback that led to an eventual offer. There are statistics listed on the official website.

I also went to this Fair a couple years ago. I had top stats (t14, top 5%) at the time. I had 8-9 interviews, 3 CBs and 2 offers, 1 rejection. I recommend going to get good interview practice. I wouldn't, however, interview with your top firm(s) if you can bid on that firm to your OCI and you can fill your schedule at the Fair.

I found myself getting better at interviewing as the season went on. Although everything eventually worked out, it was not ideal to have a top choice at the Fair as my 8th interview that day.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue May 28, 2013 11:56 pm

worth it, if just for OCI practice. also, despite the fact offers are pretty rare from the BADCF, people do get offers so there's always a chance you'll be one of the lucky ones.

togepi

Postby togepi » Wed May 29, 2013 12:50 am

How big of a boost would it be to attend these diversity fairs as an Asian who is also patent bar A eligible? (non EE/CS engineering major) I'm just wondering if I have to choose between attending a patent fair vs a diversity fair which would be best. (sub 3.0 GPA)

TYIA
Last edited by togepi on Wed May 29, 2013 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 29, 2013 1:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:What about Chinese? I feel like they get less of a boost than other Asian minorities like Viet or Indian.

I'm Chinese and struck out at the NWMJF. Seven screeners.

Landed an SA through mass mailing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 29, 2013 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

School and Rank?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

School and Rank?

Top 15% at T2. Transferred to T1.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:54 pm

Hey guys, I just registered and the firms at 95% SF firms. What if I don't want to work in SF, should i still do it for the summer and try to lateral to a different location after the bar?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys, I just registered and the firms at 95% SF firms. What if I don't want to work in SF, should i still do it for the summer and try to lateral to a different location after the bar?

as in you'd like to work in a different part of the bay?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys, I just registered and the firms at 95% SF firms. What if I don't want to work in SF, should i still do it for the summer and try to lateral to a different location after the bar?

No, maybe like in LA/socal. Or are you pretty much stuck in the bay area

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

No, maybe like in LA/socal. Or are you pretty much stuck in the bay area

you should bring your A game to the BAY diversity fair regardless because ITE

Return to “Legal Employment”