Rising 2l.. Put moot court on resume?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273491
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Rising 2l.. Put moot court on resume?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 27, 2013 1:49 pm

I'm a rising 2l getting resumes and cover letters prepared for my first job fair apps I was wondering if I should put moot court participant on my résumé. My school doesn't have tryouts for moot court it's pretty much if ou want to compete you can ( not sure if its like that at every school) won't know if I get law review before these first apps are due and most firms say journal or moot court preferred. So should I list moot court on my résumé even though it won't start up u til the semester starts?

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Rising 2l.. Put moot court on resume?

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon May 27, 2013 2:04 pm

yes

Anonymous User
Posts: 273491
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Rising 2l.. Put moot court on resume?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a rising 2l getting resumes and cover letters prepared for my first job fair apps I was wondering if I should put moot court participant on my résumé. My school doesn't have tryouts for moot court it's pretty much if ou want to compete you can ( not sure if its like that at every school) won't know if I get law review before these first apps are due and most firms say journal or moot court preferred. So should I list moot court on my résumé even though it won't start up u til the semester starts?



I did this and submitted my resume for review to the career office....apparantly it is not allowed

mr.hands
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: Rising 2l.. Put moot court on resume?

Postby mr.hands » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a rising 2l getting resumes and cover letters prepared for my first job fair apps I was wondering if I should put moot court participant on my résumé. My school doesn't have tryouts for moot court it's pretty much if ou want to compete you can ( not sure if its like that at every school) won't know if I get law review before these first apps are due and most firms say journal or moot court preferred. So should I list moot court on my résumé even though it won't start up u til the semester starts?



I did this and submitted my resume for review to the career office....apparantly it is not allowed


What? Unless it doesn't require you to tryout, that's really odd. At a lot of places, only a few get on. (10% of the class at my school).

Does your school have tryouts?

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Rising 2l.. Put moot court on resume?

Postby Lincoln » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:23 pm

Have you participated in any moot court competitions? Otherwise, writing "Moot court participant" would seem dishonest.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273491
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Rising 2l.. Put moot court on resume?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:13 pm

mr.hands wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a rising 2l getting resumes and cover letters prepared for my first job fair apps I was wondering if I should put moot court participant on my résumé. My school doesn't have tryouts for moot court it's pretty much if ou want to compete you can ( not sure if its like that at every school) won't know if I get law review before these first apps are due and most firms say journal or moot court preferred. So should I list moot court on my résumé even though it won't start up u til the semester starts?



I did this and submitted my resume for review to the career office....apparantly it is not allowed


What? Unless it doesn't require you to tryout, that's really odd. At a lot of places, only a few get on. (10% of the class at my school).

Does your school have tryouts?


Nope no tryouts anyone can do it and I wanted to list it as will participate in moot court 2l year... That way firms will at least no I'm interested on plan on doing it.... But career people said this was not allowed

target
Posts: 688
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Re: Rising 2l.. Put moot court on resume?

Postby target » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:22 pm

Lincoln wrote:Have you participated in any moot court competitions? Otherwise, writing "Moot court participant" would seem dishonest.


This. Participating in moot court is different from being selected to be on a traveling team for the national moot court competition or whatever.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Rising 2l.. Put moot court on resume?

Postby bk1 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:51 pm

mr.hands wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a rising 2l getting resumes and cover letters prepared for my first job fair apps I was wondering if I should put moot court participant on my résumé. My school doesn't have tryouts for moot court it's pretty much if ou want to compete you can ( not sure if its like that at every school) won't know if I get law review before these first apps are due and most firms say journal or moot court preferred. So should I list moot court on my résumé even though it won't start up u til the semester starts?



I did this and submitted my resume for review to the career office....apparantly it is not allowed


What? Unless it doesn't require you to tryout, that's really odd. At a lot of places, only a few get on. (10% of the class at my school).

Does your school have tryouts?

This is probably not that uncommon. Lots of schools (or maybe just the lottery ones?) prevent you from putting things like grades, journal, etc on your OCI resume.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22868
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Rising 2l.. Put moot court on resume?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:55 pm

I suspect just the lottery ones? My school was all pre-select and we all put EVERYTHING we could on there.

I think partly it's that saying you're going to do moot court is something that can't really be verified - your grades are your grades, if you're accepted on a journal the journal knows it, if you put down a future job the employer can verify, etc., but you could always say you're going to do moot court, then not end up doing it. (Which is different from putting it on the resume after you've done it.)

User avatar
punkyg0608
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:38 pm

Re: Rising 2l.. Put moot court on resume?

Postby punkyg0608 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:34 am

I'm in the same position. My career office told me to write: Moot Court (Fall 2013)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273491
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Rising 2l.. Put moot court on resume?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:54 am

I would put, "Moot Court (Fall 2013)."

I tried out for moot court and didn't even make it because of my brief. However, I still put, "Moot Court Competitor" on my resume. No one even really asks about it either.

mr.hands
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: Rising 2l.. Put moot court on resume?

Postby mr.hands » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would put, "Moot Court (Fall 2013)."

I tried out for moot court and didn't even make it because of my brief. However, I still put, "Moot Court Competitor" on my resume. No one even really asks about it either.


How is this not misleading? I mean, does your CSI prevent you guys from doing this?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273491
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Rising 2l.. Put moot court on resume?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:34 pm

mr.hands wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I would put, "Moot Court (Fall 2013)."

I tried out for moot court and didn't even make it because of my brief. However, I still put, "Moot Court Competitor" on my resume. No one even really asks about it either.


How is this not misleading? I mean, does your CSI prevent you guys from doing this?


Quite frankly, I don't give a d*mn what career services thinks. I have never found a job through them. This is my career. I competed in my school's Moot Court Competition. Wrote a brief, did the arguments. I didn't make it. However, I still did the competition. Only 30% of the students participated. Thus, I am rewarding my initiative by having this on my resume.

mr.hands
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: Rising 2l.. Put moot court on resume?

Postby mr.hands » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mr.hands wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I would put, "Moot Court (Fall 2013)."

I tried out for moot court and didn't even make it because of my brief. However, I still put, "Moot Court Competitor" on my resume. No one even really asks about it either.


How is this not misleading? I mean, does your CSI prevent you guys from doing this?


Quite frankly, I don't give a d*mn what career services thinks. I have never found a job through them. This is my career. I competed in my school's Moot Court Competition. Wrote a brief, did the arguments. I didn't make it. However, I still did the competition. Only 30% of the students participated. Thus, I am rewarding my initiative by having this on my resume.


Lol ok. :lol:

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5707
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Rising 2l.. Put moot court on resume?

Postby BVest » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mr.hands wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I would put, "Moot Court (Fall 2013)."

I tried out for moot court and didn't even make it because of my brief. However, I still put, "Moot Court Competitor" on my resume. No one even really asks about it either.


How is this not misleading? I mean, does your CSI prevent you guys from doing this?


Quite frankly, I don't give a d*mn what career services thinks. I have never found a job through them. This is my career. I competed in my school's Moot Court Competition. Wrote a brief, did the arguments. I didn't make it. However, I still did the competition. Only 30% of the students participated. Thus, I am rewarding my initiative by having this on my resume.


No need to worry about CS. But if I were an employer and I asked you a question about moot court and gathered from your answer you were talking about "competing" to try out for the team rather than competing in actual competition, I would not view this as "initiative."

Anonymous User
Posts: 273491
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Rising 2l.. Put moot court on resume?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:39 pm

BVest wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mr.hands wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I would put, "Moot Court (Fall 2013)."

I tried out for moot court and didn't even make it because of my brief. However, I still put, "Moot Court Competitor" on my resume. No one even really asks about it either.


How is this not misleading? I mean, does your CSI prevent you guys from doing this?


Quite frankly, I don't give a d*mn what career services thinks. I have never found a job through them. This is my career. I competed in my school's Moot Court Competition. Wrote a brief, did the arguments. I didn't make it. However, I still did the competition. Only 30% of the students participated. Thus, I am rewarding my initiative by having this on my resume.


No need to worry about CS. But if I were an employer and I asked you a question about moot court and gathered from your answer you were talking about "competing" to try out for the team rather than competing in actual competition, I would not view this as "initiative."


...Out of the 30 interviews last year, Moot Court came up once. "I see you are also doing Moot Court." Me: Yes. Which is true, cause I also signed up for a class where you did another competition and received course credit. But it could have been equally true, if I didn't do that class, because I could have done Moot Court through a student organization, which had no try-outs. "Yes, I am competing this spring at the xyz competition..." Whether I actually signed up or not, is not important.

mr.hands
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: Rising 2l.. Put moot court on resume?

Postby mr.hands » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
But it could have been equally true, if I didn't do that class, because I could have done Moot Court through a student organization, which had no try-outs. important.


Lol yes good point. It could have been true. But it isn't

So if someone asked you "do you do Moot court?" What would you say?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273491
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Rising 2l.. Put moot court on resume?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:22 pm

mr.hands wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
But it could have been equally true, if I didn't do that class, because I could have done Moot Court through a student organization, which had no try-outs. important.


Lol yes good point. It could have been true. But it isn't

So if someone asked you "do you do Moot court?" What would you say?


I would say, yes, "I have competed in Moot Court competitions." I did Moot Court. I did the initial try-out (which was a competition to be on the main law school team). Furthermore, I did an appellate class which was a moot court competition for second-year law students to once again, get on the main law school team. I didn't make this team either, which I don't care, as at this point I just wanted the class credit and it was an easy pass/fail grade. But as I mentioned, employers don't ask me about Moot Court. It is one bullet-point out of 30 or so other bullet-points. I have WE and completed several internships while in law school. The focus should not be on Moot-Court. That is just there to "play the game" and get me in the door (which, I can assure you, no one really cares about).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273491
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Rising 2l.. Put moot court on resume?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mr.hands wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
But it could have been equally true, if I didn't do that class, because I could have done Moot Court through a student organization, which had no try-outs. important.


Lol yes good point. It could have been true. But it isn't

So if someone asked you "do you do Moot court?" What would you say?


I would say, yes, "I have competed in Moot Court competitions." I did Moot Court. I did the initial try-out (which was a competition to be on the main law school team). Furthermore, I did an appellate class which was a moot court competition for second-year law students to once again, get on the main law school team. I didn't make this team either, which I don't care, as at this point I just wanted the class credit and it was an easy pass/fail grade. But as I mentioned, employers don't ask me about Moot Court. It is one bullet-point out of 30 or so other bullet-points. I have WE and completed several internships while in law school. The focus should not be on Moot-Court. That is just there to "play the game" and get me in the door (which, I can assure you, no one really cares about).


You do realize that this is somewhat like doing the write-on, not getting making the cut, and then claiming that you were involved with a law journal...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273491
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Rising 2l.. Put moot court on resume?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mr.hands wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
But it could have been equally true, if I didn't do that class, because I could have done Moot Court through a student organization, which had no try-outs. important.


Lol yes good point. It could have been true. But it isn't

So if someone asked you "do you do Moot court?" What would you say?


I would say, yes, "I have competed in Moot Court competitions." I did Moot Court. I did the initial try-out (which was a competition to be on the main law school team). Furthermore, I did an appellate class which was a moot court competition for second-year law students to once again, get on the main law school team. I didn't make this team either, which I don't care, as at this point I just wanted the class credit and it was an easy pass/fail grade. But as I mentioned, employers don't ask me about Moot Court. It is one bullet-point out of 30 or so other bullet-points. I have WE and completed several internships while in law school. The focus should not be on Moot-Court. That is just there to "play the game" and get me in the door (which, I can assure you, no one really cares about).


You do realize that this is somewhat like doing the write-on, not getting making the cut, and then claiming that you were involved with a law journal...


No. This is not similar. I did do Moot Court. A moot court is an extracurricular activity at many law schools in which participants take part in simulated court proceedings, which usually involves drafting briefs (or memorials) and participating in oral argument. I did this. Twice. Received course credit, too. Nowhere on my resume does it say I'm affiliated with the main executive board, which would be a different story.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.